Anyone stareted on their "survival" gardens yet?

Uzi2

NES Member
The weather is getting pretty nice here in Kentucky.
About ten days ago a local friend turned my garden over with a three bottom plow. I tilled in about 6000 cubic feet of well composted woodchip compost into it along with 19-19-19 and pelletized lime.

Planted 50 ft of beets a week ago and they are up about 2 inches as of today. Started pickling cukes in pots, kale, cabbage and romaine in half barrels and today I prepped the cuke planting area and built 3ft diameter cages out of 4x4 heavy wire fencing. Same stuff I used last year, just made 7 more for a total of 10.
One hundred feet (2 rows) of mammoth sunflower seeds are up three inches apready.
Tomorrow, a second planting of beets goes in, and cabbage and prep for the tomato area. I've got Rutgers tomato volunteers from last year coming up( they are an heirloom variety) so when they reach the point of being transplantable I'll move them to another area.

Going to be a busy season this year, my garden space has more than doubled from last.

Up north we don't plant til round about Memorial day. I usually get seed in the ground the week before.
Red and Green leafy stuff
Green beans
Cukes
Lots of squashes
Sweet taters
I'll be starting blueberry bushes from seed this spring. We'll see how I do.
Planted Jerusalem artichokes three years ago. They love it here.
I'll be expanding my hops yard as well.

I just transplanted ten blackberry shoots from a local patch to the front yard.
Hopefully they take off.

Up north we don't plant til round about Memorial day. I usually get seed in the ground the week before.
Red and Green leafy stuff
Green beans
Cukes
Lots of squashes
Sweet taters
I'll be starting blueberry bushes from seed this spring. We'll see how I do.
Planted Jerusalem artichokes three years ago. They love it here.
I'll be expanding my hops yard as well.

Ya, we are a few weeks ahead in planting down here but a frost is still possible right up until Memorial day too. Root crops and greens go in early, tomatoes and other less hardy stuff about first or second week of May.

On the blueberries, thats a long term endeavor especially from seed. You might pick in 3-4 years if they have ideal conditions. I've got a dozen bushes that need to be moved to better ground.....the deer have not been kind to them.

I just transplanted ten blackberry shoots from a local patch to the front yard.
Hopefully they take off.

They should do fine, they are very hardy and pretty invasive. I can barely control the wild blackberries here, they are everywhere.....and I mean everywhere.

Completely redoing my long neglected garden area. Now retired I have the time. Used the Landscape York Rake and the tractor to clean out the weeds and vines that grew in. Next going to plow it and rake it again. Trimmed out the saplings that grew up around the fence. Going to put in Blueberry bushes and Raspberries. Strawberry patch. And Asparagus bed.
And try Hugelkutur in one bed.

I need to get the hell out of the city. I can't plant anything not in a pot where I live. Do have a chili plant though that yields a ziplock bag worth at harvest. Also tried to grow an avocado plant, but the winter cold killed it when it was about 2.5' tall, even though it was inside. They are very temp sensitive (apparently).

Completely redoing my long neglected garden area. Now retired I have the time. Used the Landscape York Rake and the tractor to clean out the weeds and vines that grew in. Next going to plow it and rake it again. Trimmed out the saplings that grew up around the fence. Going to put in Blueberry bushes and Raspberries. Strawberry patch. And Asparagus bed.
And try Hugelkutur in one bed.
Hugelmounds are great. I did some 6' ones on my last property.

They should do fine, they are very hardy and pretty invasive. I can barely control the wild blackberries here, they are everywhere.....and I mean everywhere.
If they do well, I'll grab some more in the fall after they go dormant.

Lol. I looked up Hügelkultur and still cant pronounce it. (German pronunciation: [ˈhyːɡl̩kʊlˌtuːɐ̯])

I'm late getting some plants started from seed. I'm determined to have some kind of fruit bearing edible landscape. The paw paw trees finally get fruit. I've spent the last 2 summers clearing off the side of a small hill that gets sun light. Last year I moved 2 blueberry bushes and added thornless blackberries. I ordered a self pollinating dwarf apple and nectarine and planted those Sunday along with a fig plant.

Can't wait to see how the mammoth sunflowers turn out.

My poison ivy is doing great. I so wish I had the time to garden. One of my goals when I retire. For now I have to buy the stuff. I hit the local farms though and buy the day old stuff in bulk and can them. I have about 100 jars of tomatoes, potatoes, stewed vegies, plums, peaches and other sundry items in the basement. I am also going to try to do some foraging and add a couple more mushrooms to my repertoire this year.

Mammoth sunflowers started in peat pots with the grandkids yesterday! I have planned a Grampy veggie garden (too early in central Massachusetts to plant) but looking forward to strawberries, blueberries and raspberries from the yard.

Mammoth sunflowers started in peat pots with the grandkids yesterday! I have planned a Grampy veggie garden (too early in central Massachusetts to plant) but looking forward to strawberries, blueberries and raspberries from the yard.
My Grandkids are one of the reasons to a garden going again. I always remember my time in the garden with my Grandparents.

Back on topic...

Debating whether to direct plant the giant sunflowers or go peat pots and grow light to avoid a frost. Hope to plant green beans and snow peas this weekend. I have a heavy travel schedule for Q2 and Q3, so the garden needs to be relatively low maintenance. Going to transplant some raspberries that are encroaching on the blueberries. Maybe put some on the back 40 to feed the bears, lol.

Back on topic...

Debating whether to direct plant the giant sunflowers or go peat pots and grow light to avoid a frost. Hope to plant green beans and snow peas this weekend. I have a heavy travel schedule for Q2 and Q3, so the garden needs to be relatively low maintenance. Going to transplant some raspberries that are encroaching on the blueberries. Maybe put some on the back 40 to feed the bears, lol.

I've always sown them(sunflowers) in the ground. They take almost two weeks to germinate and have read that they really don't transplant well. Sowing directly into their growing spot might be a better choice.

I've considered paw paw for my orchard, such that it is, but I've heard that the bloom is quite offensive in it's aroma. Have you noticed that.with yours?

It's not a strong odor so you wouldn't notice it unless you directly smelled a flower. The problem is that few bees or insects are attracted to it.
Some people hang something smelly in the tree to attract some bugs. The best paw paw year I had was when I hand pollinated the flowers with a small paint brush.

If you or any one wants a baby Paw Paw tree I have about 5 growing around one of my trees.

It's not a strong odor so you wouldn't notice it unless you directly smelled a flower. The problem is that few bees or insects are attracted to it.
Some people hang something smelly in the tree to attract some bugs. The best paw paw year I had was when I hand pollinated the flowers with a small paint brush.

If you or any one wants a baby Paw Paw tree I have about 5 growing around one of my trees.
That's a kind offer. I'm a bit of a hike from the NH border but if I were closer I would take you up on it.

How's everyone's gardens doing?
My first planting of beans are up 6-7 inches, cukes are up a foot, zucchini and pumpkins are growing like mad and showing blooms. Tomatoes are all blooming, ( 120 plants), beet greens are 15 inches high and starting to bulb with second planting poking up in different patch. Got Hungarian sandwich peppers already 4 inches long, sweet corn is 9 inches.
Turnips are doing well, and sunflowers are almost 3ft.

How's everyone's gardens doing?
My first planting of beans are up 6-7 inches, cukes are up a foot, zucchini and pumpkins are growing like mad and showing blooms. Tomatoes are all blooming, ( 120 plants), beet greens are 15 inches high and starting to bulb with second planting poking up in different patch. Got Hungarian sandwich peppers already 4 inches long, sweet corn is 9 inches.
Turnips are doing well, and sunflowers are almost 3ft.
Christ. Where do you live? Kentucky?
I have seeds in the ground for my annuals, mostly viney things like squashes and Cukes. Some Beets, carrots beans.
Tubers are planted. I'll be picking up the tomato plants this week. For $2 a plant it's not worth making a cold frame. I let someone else start them off.
The perennial beds are starting to show signs of life. Garlic, asparagus, and herbs are popping up. Hops are about 4" as of today. The Jerusalem artichoke won't be up for a few more weeks. It always starts late.
I did a nursery bed for blueberry bushes so we will see how that goes.

Blueberries are blooming and raspberries almost blooming. Hummingbirds are going to town with those.

Otherwise, I am really late this year. Too much overseas travel the last couple months & a lot of rain or other projects if not raining. That said, I just tilled the garden and worked in some nice compost today. I'll be lazy and buy tomato plants then plant a few other things. Everyone loves the Nantes carrots I grow, so I'll put in more of those than last year. Back row (to the north) will be sunflowers.

I will start with flank of german shephard then the cats I see every day in my yard. Then I will pick away at a garden.

I will start with flank of german shephard then the cats I see every day in my yard. Then I will pick away at a garden.

2 years ago my wife was laughing and called me to look out the window at the garden. A turkey was walking through, plucking and eating every other bean sprout. I had not thinned them yet so no big deal but it was tempting to make an out of season harvest. Legal if damaging crops, LOL?

I find it more convenient to just order egg rolls rather than to bother with raising cats.

Picked my first dozen zucchini yesterday and about 20 beets this morning. We've had about a couple of inches of slow steady rain in the past 72 hours with a 1/4 to 1/2 inch possible daily for the next few days and the gardens are loving it.

First planting of beans are ready to flower and second planting are doubling in size every day.

As much as I dislike using pesticides, I did manage to spray all my plants with a weak mixture of Spinosad a week ago and it significantly knocked down the critters feeding on the beans and eggplant leaves.

Sweet corn is up about knee high and looking good.

Very happy with things so far.

Damn, forgot how far ahead things are in the South. I thought I was late, but most people I talked to here typically plant around Memorial Day or no more than a week earlier for warm season veggies.

Giant sunflowers had 100% germination, so a little thinning is in order. Some critter already helped me with that despite putting up a short fence to keep rabbits out. Carrots are up, tomatoes and green peppers (from plants) growing nicely.

Back
Top Bottom