Anyone Sharpen?

I have only had it since Christmas, but yes it is wearing excellently so far. I have probably sharpened 40-50 knives on it. Some kitchen knives and some pocket knives for myself, plus friends and family. Additionally the diamond plates are replaceable and only held in place by tight bedding and a magnet.

recieved mine last week
:)
-right into the pack
seems nice - thanks for the tip

For those using wet stones... Which grit levels are you using? I'm thinking about picking up one that's 1000 on one side and 6000 on the other. I'm just not sure if that's a good way to go. I'm looking to use it to put the initial edge onto blades. That is, after getting as far as I can on the belt sander/grinder.

One thought behind going this way is that it will work out better for longer, and/or more flexible blades.

The tri-Hone Arkansas Smith stones are great...
Note be sure you're appling pressure on the forward stroke only (kinda like you're carving the stone)
If you bear down on the backstroke, you'll get the wire edge effect. Also, wipe the grit off before going to a finer stone.
good info:
Tips for teaching Scouts how to sharpen a knife

The Lansky absolutely used to be the way to go for me, but I have since gone to the Wicked Edge system.
It costs an absolute insane amount of money, but it absolutely lived up to its billing. Ive sharpened a few knives here and there over the years, using a few different systems, stones etc. The closest I got was the Lansky, it allowed me to see the thickness/length of the foil easier than any other. The Wicked Edge is exponentially better, which I realize is a big statement.

I use an oil stone that I've had for about 30 years. Then I finish by stropping with a bit of compound on the strop. I can usually get a decent knife shaving sharp in under five minutes. Maybe a bit longer if I have to regrind the bevel.

Today I received the wet stones I ordered. Decided to get one that's 400/1000 grit and another that's 2000/6000 grit. I have a few pocket knives that need to have their edges touched up. I'll probably see how the 1000 grit side does on the first one and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom