Anyone Sharpen?

I have a sharp maker and can't get an edge on a knife to save my life. I follow the directions but it gets duller and duller. It's obviously me cause I've tried 2 knives and they consistently get worse.

5 stone Lansky kit is what I typically use WHEN needed. Which is extremely rare since I take care of my blades.

There is a place in Nashua (off exit 7) that will sharpen anything you want. New England Sharpening (another NES [rofl2]) N.E Sharpening Co. Inc. I've used them to sharpen end mills in the past and they've done a good job. IIRC, they had not done one correctly, but they made good on it when brought to their attention. IF you can't get it done yourself, consider giving them a crack.

BTW, I do like the Lansky kit since you can positively set the angle you're sharpening the blade to. But, I've also gotten blades shaving sharp using the belt sander/grinder. It all comes down to what you're going to do with the blade.

I've not heard of the "sharp maker" you mentioned... Got a link??

Yeah, freehand.

It’s like most other things: when you take the time and effort to learn how to do it the low-tech way, your results will be just as good AND more repeatable than using a device.

I tried the Lansky thing years ago, but it seemed flimsy to me. Now I use oil stones I pick up at yard sales.

I actually did the sharpie trick and apparently I see crooked or misinterpreted the directions for holding the knife vertical. I tilted the spine more inwards towards the center of the stones and boom all the sharpies gone and I'm now shaving hair off my arms. This knife wasn't very sharp straight from ZT so I'm very happy that it's as sharp as my new Benchmade now. Thanks for tips guys, after seeing the videos on this thing I just expected it to do all the work for me.

I use a harbor freight 1 inch belt sander with fine belts. Best 50 bucks ever spent. I can sharpen 10 kitchen knives to a good edge in 5 minutes.

I have a sharp maker and can't get an edge on a knife to save my life. I follow the directions but it gets duller and duller. It's obviously me cause I've tried 2 knives and they consistently get worse.

The problem I see with people trying to learn to sharpen is not having a consistent angle when sharpening. This is the same on a stone, rotary stone/wheel, or sharpening sticks. The push or draw stroke has to be the same each and every time. Practice that first and your skills should increase.

Best of luck.

i'm assuming a spyderco sharpmaker?? when you learn how to use it properly it works quite well. here's a instructional video. my first guess is you're pushing the blade too hard into the stones and/or not holding the knife absolutely vertical.

View: http://youtu.be/5LBDnJv5B58

I previously watched the video. On closer look to me it appears he tips it slightly as well.

I previously watched the video. On closer look to me it appears he tips it slightly as well.
i use a sharpmaker as well, it took me a while to learn it properly. i got quite good at it after a while and then use to sharpen everyones knives in work. you also have to use the correct angle slots for your blade or you will begin to reprofile the edge. i see you're in billerica, i'm in woburn. maybe we can get together sometime and try to figure it out.

I ended up getting it, I actually angled inward towards the stone a little bit and used less pressure. ZT says 20-22 degrees so I used the 40 setting.

+1 for the Lansky set. I added a diamond stone and use it often. I can sharpen my J.A. Henckels kitchen knives sharp enough to make paper thin slices of tomatoes.

I got drunk one night and ordered a Ken Onion Work Sharp. I have only used it a couple times on some tools and an old machete, but it works good. I'm scared to put any of my high end knives on it until I get more comfortable.

I have a Lansky set that I am going to sell if anyone is interested. I just have not gotten around to posting it in the classifieds. PM if you are interested.

Attachments

• 41WSNRe51oL.jpg
    41WSNRe51oL.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 36
In a pinch I use the bottom to f a ceramic coffee cup.

In a pinch the top of a car window works as well.

I usually sharpen free hand on stones and have become very good at it, but lately I have been using a work sharp guided field sharpener 2.2.1 and loving it. It’s small enough to go in a backpack, but has everything you need. A medium and fine stone. A ceramic rod that has 3 separate adjustments for different blades or tools as well as a small ceramic rod for smaller serrations. A leather strop and angle guides to make it almost foolproof. I now teach people who are new to sharpening on it since the angle guides get them used to the motion.

Guided Field Sharpener – Work Sharp

In a pinch the top of a car window works as well.

I usually sharpen free hand on stones and have become very good at it, but lately I have been using a work sharp guided field sharpener 2.2.1 and loving it.

Guided Field Sharpener – Work Sharp

Do you find the diamond plate to wear well? I've had some diamond stuff in the 20-$40 range that lost it's 'cut' fairly quickly.

anything abrasive to steel will work. a dull knife has basically had the edge roll over, a quick few strokes on any abrasive surface will cure that issue. if i need to do something on the lines of a "quick fix" i get it on a proper sharpening device asap.

One thing I didn't see is the type of knives you're sharpening. For example, some Jap knives have 17 deg edges, while most others are around 20 - 22 deg edges). I do all free hand with using a LampsonSharp steel, and/or drawing a stone over the edge. I will draw file an old knife that is in tough shape (something I may pick up at a flea market).

I use the wicked edge, spyderco system, and edge pro and if I could only have one, the spyderco would be it.

Use a sharpie to color the bevel and see where you're hitting. Raise a burr all the way down the bevel. Change sides and raise a burr all the way down that side. The sharpie and the burr are the most important parts in my opinion, if you're not raising a burr youre probably not reaching the apex of the edge.

Do you find the diamond plate to wear well? I've had some diamond stuff in the 20-$40 range that lost it's 'cut' fairly quickly.
I have only had it since Christmas, but yes it is wearing excellently so far. I have probably sharpened 40-50 knives on it. Some kitchen knives and some pocket knives for myself, plus friends and family. Additionally the diamond plates are replaceable and only held in place by tight bedding and a magnet.

I got drunk one night and ordered a Ken Onion Work Sharp. I have only used it a couple times on some tools and an old machete, but it works good. I'm scared to put any of my high end knives on it until I get more comfortable.

You're almost there. I got a KO Work Sharp from a points based ata-boy system at work. I found this attachment for really cheap from the clearance section later. Knowing what I do now I'd likely buy it full price.

Blade Grinding Attachment, Ken Onion Edition – Work Sharp

I can do an ax, a mower blade, resurface a wood chisel or gouge, strop a carving knife or make my machete as sharp as the de-boning knife in the kitchen. I only use the belts it came with for a quick dirty edge on a work knife now.

Back
Top Bottom