• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone remember?

I know my description will sound pretty vague, but does anyone remember the videos of the man who built his own little cabin that was self sustainable? I remember he had solar panels rigged up and had all of his drains piped to water a small garden off of the side of the home. It was a very small building but every inch was used so well that it seemed big inside. It was 2 floors with a bedroom and office upstairs. Anyway..... if anyone can figure out my rambling and knows the link to those videos i would love to watch them again. Thanks!

There is the story of Dick Proenneke, who lived up in Alaska.
There's several websites documenting his adventure and sometimes PBS runs a video of one of the films he shot during his life.

Don't think he had any solar panels, but I thought it relevant enough to post.

I know my description will sound pretty vague, but does anyone remember the videos of the man who built his own little cabin that was self sustainable? I remember he had solar panels rigged up and had all of his drains piped to water a small garden off of the side of the home. It was a very small building but every inch was used so well that it seemed big inside. It was 2 floors with a bedroom and office upstairs. Anyway..... if anyone can figure out my rambling and knows the link to those videos i would love to watch them again. Thanks!
Was it this guy? http://www.simplesolarhomesteading.com/

A for effort, I like his idea and lifestyle but 14x14 feet? I've been in larger tents.

Thats a bit on the small side for my comfort and would be untennable for two people, especially in winter. Minimum I'd go even for a hunting cabin would be 16x24. I've been in some small hunting cabins and took notice of the mistakes, overall dimension was the biggest one and odd dimensions made it even worse. Nothing fit properly inside, even the built in bunks were short and miserable to sleep in with head and feet touching the ends.

I refuse to live in, let alone build a place that I'm bumping into myself everytime I turn around.

Back
Top Bottom