• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone recommend a tackle box?

Looking for a decent sized (not huge, not tiny...in the middle....easy to carry) tackle box. Would be used mostly for saltwater but has potential for some freshwater gear to go in there. Organization and portability are important.

Any links appreciated!

Arlow is right, tackle bag, not box is the way to go. There are many decent ones at Basspro, Cabela's etc. If it's going to get wet, you can go waterproof or at least get one with a waterproof bottom.

How come you guys don't like the tackle box any longer or how come you prefer a tackle bag? More durable? Lasts longer?

AppleSeeds said:
How come you guys don't like the tackle box any longer or how come you prefer a tackle bag? More durable? Lasts longer?

IMO a bag is easier to carry and store and they're way more modular than a molded plastic box. You could get a bunch of flat Plano boxes and divide all of your stuff based on type or use, then pick and choose what you want to bring for a specific trip instead of lugging everything.

For saltwater surf I carry an old messenger type bag that I've converted to a tackle bag. It's got two large inner pockets, one that I have plastic tubes in to separate a variety of large poppers and plugs, the other I have a large flat Plano box with smaller stuff. It's low profile and easy to keep on your back as you move from spot to spot.

I have a decent sized Plano box, but I find myself mainly using the small pocket cases more than the box. They fit well in a cargo pocket or a camel back and make the hike to the pond easier. Only time I carry the actual tackle box is when I can see the pond from where I park my car.

IMO a bag is easier to carry and store and they're way more modular than a molded plastic box. You could get a bunch of flat Plano boxes and divide all of your stuff based on type or use, then pick and choose what you want to bring for a specific trip instead of lugging everything.

For saltwater surf I carry an old messenger type bag that I've converted to a tackle bag. It's got two large inner pockets, one that I have plastic tubes in to separate a variety of large poppers and plugs, the other I have a large flat Plano box with smaller stuff. It's low profile and easy to keep on your back as you move from spot to spot.

This!
I also like that I can throw a couple of bottles of water or whatever in the bag with my gear.

If you're going to be fishing right out of the parking lot, then disregard this thought. But, if you're going to be hiking out or going a decent ways away from your car, I want to mention that bought an extremely light and small day hiking pack and I just throw some plano trays in there. Its the best system so far. Holds all the gear and food/beer/water, etc. Just a thought

Thanks for all the feedback. This would be used primarily for surfcasting (not terribly far from the car). I did what any normal person would do: order both. I got a hard box that includes a number of trays that could easily be removed and thrown into a backpack if a hike/being on the move is going to be the order of the day.

Reps for all, thanks much for the answers!

i know its a little too late, but this is what i use.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Two-Level-Magnum-Satchel-with-Utility-Box/20563434
i mainly do freshwater so that fits all my lures, hooks, etc. Then i have a plano box that i carry that has all my senkos in it.

but i usually bring a bucket with me (as a stool, or if i catch something big and want to bring it home thats what i put it in) so i usually just throw everything i that on the walk to my fishing spot.

Back
Top Bottom