1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Anyone recommend a Password Manager?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mark L, Sep 24, 2014.

1. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

The file is encrypted. It's not syncing clear data. It opens the file off of that service, decrypts it, compares with it's local copy, etc.

2. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Yes, but it should be pretty obvious that anything sensitive put on dropbox must be encrypted. I keep a backup of a bunch of important documents out there (ID's, deeds, insurance contracts, etc.), but by putting in a TrueCrypt volume. It is a pain to access that way though as I first have to copy locally and then mount the file as a volume. And, forget about using the encrypted volume when shared to a dropbox app on an Android device. I'd be interested if anyone knows of a better solution for automatically encrypting/decrypting files put into dropbox.

3. sbi

sbi NES Member

Thanks Prepper!
    So I played with it a little bit and over the same network the sync works perfect. But I was curious about syncing over internet which makes sense if you need info that you entered at home but you're away or something. You need to setup port forwarding on your router with your public IP address. That's a piece of cake, works like a charm. However, I believe that this won't hold for long because 'normal' home users do not have static IP address and your ISP normally change the IP every few weeks.
    I also tried to sync backwards (from PC to Android) when it is on 3G, not WiFi. Still no go on this one because I can't figure out which port is used in Android.
    But I love the fact that you can sync relatively easy between devices, even if only on local network, vs. storing a file in the cloud (encrypted or not).

4. rivet_42

rivet_42 NES Member

FYI, TrueCrypt is now officially dead. The latest official version only does decryption, and there's a strange message up on their website that many in the security community have interpreted as a warrant canary:

"WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues"

Let's look at that again: "WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues"

They recommend that Windows users migrate to BitLocker, which many people regard as a strange recommendation.

As far as the password-manager thing, I use PasswordSafe: http://sourceforge.net/projects/passwordsafe/

5. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Yeah I know.... I followed that saga in detaiI back when it was going down. I don't have any other way to make an encrypted volume I can then treat as a regular file. So the old TrueCrypt will do for now. I already decrypted my FDE hard drive. All I have now is files I mount as volumes, and backup USB drives that I fully encrypt with it. I see no reason that is bad to do, other than wild conspiracy theories.

6. Steven Pom

Steven Pom

i have used lastpass for a few years, its the only mobile app i have ever paid for

7. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

Downloaded and installed LastPass and I'm liking it so far.

Any suggestions or recommendations for changing any configuration settings, or are the default settings
    sufficient?

8. CrackPot

CrackPot NES Member

Encrypted with what algorithm and how large a key? The wrong answer means effectively not encrypted. That was my point. Very few people encrypt strongly enough for it to matter.

9. Yazz

Yazz NES Life Member NES Member

10. mremski

mremski

Pink post-it notes instead of yellow ones.

11. xtry51

xtry51

1Password

12. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

I can only say with STRIP and it's 2048 3DES IIRC. I am less sure of the how, but the key is definitely 2048.

13. piman

piman

PasswdSafe? Works on Mac, PC, Android. Can upload and download encrypted file from the cloud (Dropbox/Google Drive).

14. pdm

pdm NES Member

If you have the cert, toss it into here and decode it for all it's goodies.

15. dpaquette79

dpaquette79

I use this model as well. I am in IT and have dozens of passwords. I can access from my laptop and mobile devices. Very convenient. Outside of this application, I have no other experience.

16. StumpJumper

StumpJumper

My settings are 30 characters alpha numeric mixed case and specials. Some times sites won't take that and I have to shrink the length or remove the specials because of bad programming on their part.

I'm 2 years in and have retrofitted those settings on all but a few sites and have set up the form fills for some stuff. I'm extremely happy with it and have been pushing my wife to use it more too.

17. Tacoma

Tacoma

I've been using 1Password on my Macbook Pro for I don't know how many years now. Also on my iPhone. And it wifi syncs.
    It has browser extensions for Safari and Firefox. I use it for all passwords, identity (saves me a lot of typing when I need to enter info such as address and email when I'm buying something from a new place), Licenses, software licenses including all registration info, credit card info, secure notes etc. It is the best software purchase I ever made.
    https://agilebits.com/onepassword/mac