• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone recognize this headstamp?

bdb

NES Member
I have noticed I occasionally get a REALLY hard to resize 9mm case. I mean the force it takes it almost feels like I am going to pull my Dillon 550 right off table top. I can force it to resize and it will easily take a primer. I just don't want to force it, and now when I feel the heavy resistance I back off and toss the case. It is always the case of the left side of this picture that causes the issue. I can't tell from the head stamp who the manufacturer is. It's probably brass I picked up at the range.

I have also had 2or 3 times (in close to 1000 rounds fired) where I have had a round not full chamber and I have to force the slide open and can see a slight bottom bell on the cartridge. I wrote if off to someone shooting a hot load fired from a glock (without full chamber support) and the case belled and didn't fully resize when I loaded it. I may be way off base though. It also happened before I found these cases this weekend that are hard as hell to resize but I am sure I have forced a few of them over the last 1000 reloads before deciding not to force them and to toss them out.

Anyway, main question is what brand of ammo is the case on the left? The photo isn't clear but I did do some Google searching and came up empty.

9mmcase2.JPG

I have noticed I occasionally get a REALLY hard to resize 9mm case. I mean the force it takes it almost feels like I am going to pull my Dillon 550 right off table top. I can force it to resize and it will easily take a primer. I just don't want to force it, and now when I feel the heavy resistance I back off and toss the case. It is always the case of the left side of this picture that causes the issue. I can't tell from the head stamp who the manufacturer is. It's probably brass I picked up at the range.

I have also had 2or 3 times (in close to 1000 rounds fired) where I have had a round not full chamber and I have to force the slide open and can see a slight bottom bell on the cartridge. I wrote if off to someone shooting a hot load fired from a glock (without full chamber support) and the case belled and didn't fully resize when I loaded it. I may be way off base though. It also happened before I found these cases this weekend that are hard as hell to resize but I am sure I have forced a few of them over the last 1000 reloads before deciding not to force them and to toss them out.

Anyway, main question is what brand of ammo is the case on the left? The photo isn't clear but I did do some Google searching and came up empty.

View attachment 141403

R-P is Remington brass. I've noticed that some of those cases can be harder to size but nothing crazy. I think the casewalls are thicker on Remington cases.

Seriously!
If I'm looking at the blurry picture correctly, you have a R-P (Remington) product on the left and a Blazer (CCI) brass piece on the right.
Don't assume all brass is what the head stamp says it is. This may be brass that was re-formed into 9x18 Makarov or some such and would be a bit of a bind while sizing in 9x19mm (although not that difficult, assuming in feeds into your die initially).

I can sometimes actually tell when picking it up it feels thicker. I am assuming so resize OK but some of them are so hard to resize I am afraid of breaking something so I just toss them. Thanks for the ID on it!

I can sometimes actually tell when picking it up it feels thicker. I am assuming so resize OK but some of them are so hard to resize I am afraid of breaking something so I just toss them. Thanks for the ID on it!
You'll find all manner of brass on the ground. Obviously, watch for berdan-primed cases, since they'll halt your reloading rather abruptly.

Reformed into 9x18 Makarov. Oh the friggin' horror.
OP if you are having difficulty resizing Rem. 9 MM brass, something is wrong.

Are you using a 9x19 die?
Is it carbide?
The right pins on your Dillon?
Was this 9MM brass fired in a .40?

I'll probably go to hell for this post too.

Are you using a 9x19 die?
Is it carbide?
The right pins on your Dillon?
Was this 9MM brass fired in a .40?

I'll probably go to hell for this post too.

Standard 9mm Luger Dillon dies, yes carbide. The press and dies are fine. No idea on the brass since I am sure it was range pickup. It gets selected out and tossed now before even seeing the press.

Remington uses nickel plated primers. Your picture shows non-nickel plated. Chances are you picked up someone's reload.

Remington uses nickel plated primers. Your picture shows non-nickel plated. Chances are you picked up someone's reload.

Not entirely true. I've bought factory Remington 9mm ammo that had regular brass colored primers. But when I bought nickel plated 38 spl ammo the primers were plated as well.

Could they have been fired in a pistol that the chamber is unsupported?
Cape Ann used to let the Coast Guard use the range they would leave the brass on the ground I picked up a lot of it and found that carbide dies didn't always resize the cases,ended up using a steel 30 Mauser die to resize the more stubborn cases.

Could they have been fired in a pistol that the chamber is unsupported?
Cape Ann used to let the Coast Guard use the range they would leave the brass on the ground I picked up a lot of it and found that carbide dies didn't always resize the cases,ended up using a steel 30 Mauser die to resize the more stubborn cases.
I use Glocks (unsupported chamber) and reload the brass no problem ... including Remington.

Do you wet tumble? I gather that wet tumbling can make the brass hard to resize. The above posts make sense too.

Last edited:
I have no problems with RP brass. Most likely you have found some abused brass. I read an excellent book on progressive reloading by a man names "John Paul Jones". He recommended dry tumbling only because this method left a trace of lubricant on the cases which made resizing easier. He claimed that wet tumbling and chemical cleaners left the brass too clean and more difficult to resize.

I have no problems with RP brass. Most likely you have found some abused brass. I read an excellent book on progressive reloading by a man names "John Paul Jones". He recommended dry tumbling only because this method left a trace of lubricant on the cases which made resizing easier. He claimed that wet tumbling and chemical cleaners left the brass too clean and more difficult to resize.

It's not the end of the world to lube your cases, even with a carbide sizer die. I tend to use a little lube when re-sizing .30 Carbine brass, even while using a carbide die. If it's too much hassle and if this doesn't remedy your dilemma, simply scrap the cases that present this problem.

I dry tumble with a little polish (cap full) put in. Seems to lube them a little. No issues with any brass at all other than a handful that are all apparently Remington. I suspect they are someones reloads I picked up. After some more testing, not all the Rem head stamp brass causes issues, I looked through my loaded bucket and find lots of them all loaded up. Who knows.......

Side note: What kind of cost savings are you getting reloading 9mm?

I'm saving about $5-6 per box of 50. For comparison, cheapest 9mm I can find online shipped is about $11.50-$12. A box of 50 of my reloads runs me $6.50-7.

With so many peculiar things going on in the ammo trade lately have you taken a magnet to those cases to make sure they aren't plated steel? I wouldn't expect Remington to be so but who knows?

With the thousands of R-P and Blazer Brass cases I have run through my press I can't imagine any issues at all with them. It does almost look like the primer on the Remington is crimped. The Blazer case looks to have been reloaded at least once already.

I'm saving about $5-6 per box of 50. For comparison, cheapest 9mm I can find online shipped is about $11.50-$12. A box of 50 of my reloads runs me $6.50-7.

I'm around $5.65 per box of 50 rounds. The cheapest brass range ammo I can find is Tula and that is $11 per 50. Any standard factory ammo is often closer to $12-15 per 50.

9mm is also easy to clean and fast to reload. I can load several hundred rounds in an hour while watching tv. I'm sure if I focused my output would pass 500 rounds per hour.

If you get us a clearer photo I bet we could tell if those FP strikes are from a Glock, which would require some extra effort to resize (but not yank you reloading setup off the table effort).

I'm around $5.65 per box of 50 rounds. The cheapest brass range ammo I can find is Tula and that is $11 per 50. Any standard factory ammo is often closer to $12-15 per 50.

9mm is also easy to clean and fast to reload. I can load several hundred rounds in an hour while watching tv. I'm sure if I focused my output would pass 500 rounds per hour.

If you get us a clearer photo I bet we could tell if those FP strikes are from a Glock, which would require some extra effort to resize (but not yank you reloading setup off the table effort).

Reloading while distracted is not a good idea. It is a rather simple task but it requires your complete attention. The penalties for ignoring this rule can be quite severe.

Reloading while distracted is not a good idea. It is a rather simple task but it requires your complete attention. The penalties for ignoring this rule can be quite severe.

I disagree but thanks for the admonition.

I have reloaded steel "brass". Never noticed the difference until I was separating range brass with a magnet. I forget the headstamp but then reloaded several knowing they were steel. Could not tell the difference, this in 9MM.

Carbine reloaders beware LC 52. Chinese counterfeit. Corrosive and Berdan if I recall correctly.

Back
Top Bottom