• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone own a PTR-91?

Mass-diver

NES Member
Over a year ago I bought a JLD PTR-91 (an HK 91 .308 clone). It came stock with iron sites and no rails. I haven't used it that much and I'm making an effort to get to the club more often.

I shoot at Marshfield with a 200 yd range. I was thinking about a scope to make it more fun to shoot, but I've been confused by the need for a claw mount to attach the scope. I also heard the recoil would mess with the scope and that for 220yds max, I should just stick with the iron sights. I was wondering if anyone owned a PTR and how they it rigged?

Here are some products I'm looking at (budget is around $300).

http://store.advancedtacticaltechnology.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5

and

http://www.riflescopes.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SS10X42

You do need a claw mount unless it's one of those ones that has the integral weaver base. My dad has an original HK91 and you want to make sure you get a quality mount. Some of the mounts floating around are designed for airsoft guns and are made of zinc or tin, and will not last. Make sure you find a high quality one (but forget about an original STANAG mount, that alone will take you over 300). As for the recoil affected the scope, I don't know where you might have gotten that idea but no, it is fine to use a scope.

Good luck with your search.

No need

I have one and I shoot at Marshfield as well! I would agree that you need to
be careful with systems that are not made to spec. I would say that a claw mount for 75. would not be worth the time. But that puts you in a bad spot because anything with quality is going to cost. If your just siiting in the corner hitting the plate at 200 yards the irons will be fine. I have poor sight and when the plates were at 200 yards I was hitting the big one almost 90 percent of the time. I love my ptr and have had no desire to place optics on it.

+1 for the iron sights. The G3's sight radius is long enough to be plenty accurate at 200 and even 300 yards.

If you want to scope it, I would suggest a non-magnified optic like an Aimpoint or EOTech, or at most a 1-4X variable.

Forget the Super Sniper. They are great scopes but a G3 clone is the worst application for it. Your rifle does not have MOA accuracy and putting a huge, heavy (SS scopes are HEAVY) scope on a tall mount like the HK claw is a recipe for an ill handling, unbalanced rifle.

You have a battle rifle, not a precision rifle. Scope it accordingly.

Most guys who think a bigger scope makes them more accurate are quickly brought to reality when they face off against someone how knows how to shoot with irons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom