Anyone offer firearms heat treating services?

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone knows of a shop that will do 'one-off' heat treating of a receiver (4140 cast steel).
I contacted a couple places quite a while back, but they said no, due to liability issues.
South NH/VT, western MA shop would be best.
Thanks

Industrial Heat Treating 27 Newbury Avenue Quincy, MA 02171-1601
(617) 328-8243

Do you know to what spec you want it treated to?

I would not tell them it is a firearm component

I've tried asking some smaller machine shops in the past, but either they sent their stuff out, or wouldn't do a receiver.

I'll try Industrial Heat Treating. Usually the topic of intended application comes up.

Specs: Oil quenched from 1550F. Temper to ~ 36 to 40 hardness.

The receiver is quite a ways from being done yet... it's a winter project.

EDIT: interesting... looks like IHT holds an FFL as a manufacturer - my kinda place :)

Last edited:
S&W offers these services. Go to their firearms website and to the "resources" tab, then down to "specialty services." [grin]

You are making your own receiver? Very cool, love to see pics.

I'll get some pics and post them over in the "build it yourself" forum as the project progresses.

I'd like to keep the job fairly local so I can drop off and pick up in person and avoid the whole shipping-a-firearm deal.

I considered S&W a while back, but thought they would not want to deal with a home-brew one-off job.
Can't hurt to try though I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I wonder what the ATF says about making a firearm. When is it actually a firearm.

Love to see the pics. If I ever get some machines of my own, I'm going to make some interesting stuff.

B

I wonder what the ATF says about making a firearm. When is it actually a firearm.

Love to see the pics. If I ever get some machines of my own, I'm going to make some interesting stuff.

B
It's all pretty well fleshed out what you can and cannot do without a license - google will give you the answer if you care to know...
Here's a start:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html
and here:
http://firearmsfreedomact.com/2009/09/29/929-batfe-letter-re-the-mffa/
ATF said:
As a first matter, the manufacture of firearms, ammunition, and firearms accessories for your personal use does generally not require licensure under the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968, as amended (GCA). If the firearm, however, is of a type that is defined under 26 U.S.C. Section 5845 (i. e., a National Firearms Act firearm), you will need to file an ATF Form 1

Last edited:
There is nothing that prevents you from making your own guns, as long as it isn;t a full auto device and meets the rest of the criteria for lengths, etc.

All sorts of people have made 1911's , AR and AK receivers from scratch. You can buy lowers that are 80% complete without a FFL.

IIRC the key to it is you have to do the work yourself, for yourself.

There is nothing that prevents you from making your own guns, as long as it isn;t a full auto device and meets the rest of the criteria for lengths, etc. All sorts of people have made 1911's , AR and AK receivers from scratch. You can buy lowers that are 80% complete without a FFL.
IIRC the key to it is you have to do the work yourself, for yourself.

This ^
I researched the regs before even considering the project. If memory serves, there is also some bit about your "intent" that it be for your personal use - no "intent" to sell or transfer, but I never got it clear if that means NO transfers allowed, or no "intent" to transfer. Does not matter to me, as I'm keeping the thing.

Last edited:
you can sell any you make for your own personal use, but at that point there is a requirement to put a SN on them to comply with the GCA68 or some other law.

B

In the case of a semi-auto handgun, the frame is not a "firearm" under federal law until the rails are cut, and no serial number of licensing is required at prior to that point. Since the rails should be cut after heat treating, this is actually a very convenient definition.

Thanks Rob, that was sort of what I was getting at mostly from the standpoint of the shop needing an FFL. I know that they need one if they keep a receiver overnight, but not sure when it became a receiver or it was just parts.

B

Back
Top Bottom