1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Anyone Live In The Upper Valley and Make Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by kman, Dec 6, 2018.

1. kman

kman NES Member

So I've been interviewing at a company up in Lebanon NH and I think I might get a job offer. Anyone live up there and recommend a town? No kids so I don't care about schools. I was thinking I might not want to live all the way in Lebanon in case I ever had to drive to Concord or Manchester for work. Ideally I wouldn't mind renting a small house but I didn't see any places that allows animals so I think I would have to buy and sell the current house in Southern NH. I did a quick zillow search and saw a farm with 40 acres with hunting usage so I am optimistic now!

2. jpk

jpk

More bang for your buck if you go north and/or northeast of leb......less access to concord but.....oh well......you really going to gripe about a 90 min drive vs 60 occasionally?

3. Climbnsink

Climbnsink

Used to live in Vershire, which is commutable but not great. RT 113 will eat a set of tie rods every year. Thetford goes up in price, roads are better to 91. Norwich/Hanover are expensive(Dartmouth affiliates.) Lyme seems alright, going North gets cheaper, going South gets cheaper and dumpier. The way the winds are blowing I'd buy/rent in NH, even if it costs more.

4. Steve Marshall

Steve Marshall

Rt. 89 is a good road. Anything along that corridor gives easy access to Concord and Lebanon.

ggfcpa likes this.
  5. Blackmore

Blackmore NES Member

Don't understand previous poster suggesting living in Vermont. Why would someone want to pay Vermont income tax? BTW, if it's Hypertherm, they announced 25% annual profit share last Wednesday.

6. Tinkermatic

Tinkermatic NES Member

I grew up in Lebanon.

If you’re looking to be south, Grantham and or Croydon are nice towns with easy access to 89. Be sure you look in to grocery store locations. From what I remember, you might be going back to West Leb to do most of your shopping. There’s not a whole lot between Lebanon and Concord. Warner?

garandman and kman like this.
  7. Blackmore

Blackmore NES Member

Sunapee and Newbury (and New London to a lesser extent) have the lowest property taxes in the area because of the second homes on Lake Sunapee paying huge taxes w/o putting kids in the schools. You'll pay more up front for a house in those towns, though. We're in Sunapee near the Newbury line and my wife can make it up 89 to Exit 18 in 1/2 hour. The stretch from Grantham to Whaleback can be an adventure in winter storms.

I've run into people who come down to the Market Basket in Warner from the Upper Valley and even Vermont to avoid Upper Valley grocery prices.

kman likes this.
  8. Brucewillis4316

Brucewillis4316 NES Member

Springfield/Grantham or New London/Sunapee areas are quick to Lebanon

9. VTHunter

VTHunter NES Member

Our family has had a place just north of the Leb area for many years (Vermont). If I were to live there, the NH side would be my choice. As others have said, if you go north of Leb, the prices will be better. If you are looking for acreage, perhaps Orford or Piermont (near 91). Lebanon/Hanover are nice areas, but know you will get the Dartmouth influence (price/ideology). A few years back, this area was selected as one of the best places in America.
    Just a note about 89: I have seen traffic back up on the highway for quite a distance during commuting hours. It is pretty much the only commercial area and lots of folks commute from the more rural areas. Otherwise, it is an excellent move.
    Best of luck!

kman likes this.
  10. kman

kman NES Member

Thanks, I am really hoping to get the job. My current job is going to end me sooner than later.

The idea of being able to hunt on your own property is pretty damn awesome. The new manager was telling me that some of the towns in VT side had cheap taxes comparable to NH. For some reason, I don't see myself ever working in VT and it would be better to stick closer to Concord/Manchester. The taxes in Sunapee are ridiculously low!

This looks really sweet!
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/246-King-Hill-Rd-New-London-NH-03257/92873151_zpid/

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  11. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

Lots of good advice. Really hard to say without pinning down your budget and other factors. As mentioned, shopping might be less convenient than you want, and you have to consider commute time.

I have one friend who lives on Mascoma Lake. Another lives in Piermont, which is up 91 N and E of Lebanon (which has most big chain stores . New London is nice but more expensive. CRoydon and Springfield are S of Grantham. Newport has grocery, auto parts, hardware, pizza, gas, etc.

We made a Region in the Zillow app(near Sunapee), then applied filters: over 10 acres, at least three bedrooms, price, etc. Then spit out a list of properties that met the criteria, and did drive-bys. The ones left we bought to our buyer’s agent. She lives in Enfield, PM me if you want to talk to her.

kman likes this.
  12. jpk

jpk

Warner/Sunapee/NewLondon etc are pretty much all retarted lefty towns

popo in Sunapee are retarded wrt traffic infractions......current chief is known/well documented anti wrt RKBA.....is on public record on multiple bills stating so.....

Sutton is pretty sane....but its part of Kearsarge school district.....prepare to get f***ed by taxes

I would choose Grantham/Springfield and to a lesser degree Sutton long before I considered New London/Warner/etc........anything in the Kearsarge school district is totally out of control wrt school taxes.......

kman likes this.
  13. kman

kman NES Member

What about Andovah?
    https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...4,-71.573868,43.212682,-72.191163_rect/10_zm/

14. jpk

jpk

15. Blackmore

Blackmore NES Member

You obviously don't know a lot of the old natives in Sunapee or Newbury if you think they're "retarted lefty(s)". In fact Sunapee just elected a first time Republican rep. to the General Court who defeated a long time incumbent Democrat female. I've never known anyone who has had a CLEO signoff refused by the Sunapee chief. In fact I usually see both him and the Newport chief at most gunshows.

Springfield is one of the seven towns in the Kearsarge school district.

garandman likes this.
  16. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

In Sunapee the person you are talking to is more than likely from CT, MA, RI anyway.

Goshen sure as hell isn't "lefty" in any way.

17. Blackmore

Blackmore NES Member

You're correct. My family had vacationed here since 1969. I moved here from CT in 1980 because of New Hampshire's values at that time, not to try to convert it to what CT was becoming.

garandman likes this.
  18. jpk

jpk

Havent learned yet that just because someone claims to be a republican that they arent necessarily conservative/pro liberty/freedom.

Lets rewind to the chiefs comments on constitutional carry just a few years ago....you'll recall this if you were at the hearing with the rest of us.....

In all fairness it wasnt just him.....almost every chief in the NH police chief organization came out against the bill......but Cahill was more "exceptional" in his attempt to protect his power over citizens....

NEW HAMPSHIRE No-permit gun bill is pushed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - AR15.COM

None of this even begins to take into consideration Sunapee PD's reputation as a speed trap or their long/well established history of sitting just down the road/within sight of local establishments/restaurants and pulling over people as they exit....for no reason other than the fact that they were at a local restaurant and MUST be guilty of something

Yes it is, as is Sutton but as I stated its relevent to the SCHOOL taxes......its not the ONLY factor to consider when choosing a town...there's the town aspect of taxation and the attitudes of selectman/planning board and zba.....

As far as the old timers go in Sunapee.....those days are long gone......