• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone knows a gunsmith with AK experience?

Need a simple job done on AK, but probably requires some specific experience. I am in WMA, but anywhere in Mass would be good.

I have managed to dislodge the rear sight spring. Don't know how to put it back. Looks like there is a secret to this.

Dave Santurri has some basic work on my polytech for me in the past (very pleased with his work). Give him a call and see if can do it.

edit: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it." - my mother

Let's just say that I've heard of Santurri's AK handywork. I am not impressed. I hope he didn't harm that beautiful polytech of yours as it's magnificent.

Tell us what you need done, OP. You might be able to do this yourself.

Last edited:
Flintoid
I just need to reinstall rear sight spring and the sight.

I use a bench vise and small screw driver heads and safety glasses.

Here's a 1" c-clamp with the swivel section ground off. Set the other side of the clamp under the barrel and you get the idea

3469d1113539863-how-remove-ak-rear-sight-leaf-rear-sight.jpg

or use this hand tool:
http://www.redstararms.com/index.htm?856.htm&1

There are other ways to do it, but you get the idea. This is easily done at home for little coin.

here's an interesting video- I've never done it this way but I think I will try it out when I swap out my next sight leaf

Last edited by a moderator:
What is not clear to me is this: how the spring itself is retained (without the sight). Is it pressed into the rear sight base somehow? I can't see what has retained ihe spring in correct position before I dislodged it.

edit: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it." - my mother

Let's just say that I've heard of Santurri's AK handywork. I am not impressed. I hope he didn't harm that beautiful polytech of yours as it's magnificent.

Tell us what you need done, OP. You might be able to do this yourself.

I have had Dave repair and modify three of my guns and have been very happy with the results.

What is not clear to me is this: how the spring itself is retained (without the sight). Is it pressed into the rear sight base somehow? I can't see what has retained ihe spring in correct position before I dislodged it.

The spring "rests" in the rear sight base. It's actually easily removed. The compression force it gives to the rear sight leaf (think that it's pressing "up" on the leaf) helps retain it in the Rear Sight Block.

If the sight leaf is not installed, the leaf spring actually is quite loos within the rear sight block.

All you need to do is counter that compression force by further compressing that sight leaf spring in a safe and steady manner. The Campy sight tool is an easy way to do it. If you are resourceful, you can use other things.

I have had Dave repair and modify three of my guns and have been very happy with the results.

I would not doubt this one bit. He is a good gunsmith. However, as an AK gunsmith, I don't think he stacks up that well at all. I will stop here.

However, this operation isn't complicated so even he could do it well.

Flintoid
I just need to reinstall rear sight spring and the sight.

Reinstalling the rear sight/leaf spring can be a PITA, but it's easily doable without taking it to someone else.

If you have a drill press...

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48004

Another alternative to the Campy Tool, is grinding down a "Church Key" type can opener to gain the leverage to install the sight/spring (I have one here, but damn if I can find it, or find pictures of it online right now).

Both methods work, but the drill press method was the easiest for me.

He machines and manufactures firearms practically from scratch. After seeing his shop, I can't imagine there is anything in an AK that would be beyond his skillset.

That doesn't mean anything. Many gunsmiths simply refuse to work on certain types of guns, for one reason or another. It's unwise to assume anything about a gunsmith's capabilities without talking to them ahead of bringing the gun in.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom