Anyone know where to get Unicorn Droppings (primers) for non ass rape pricing?

Holy f*ck. Once my current stock of primers runs out I may just stop shooting and start selling guns. $600 for a 5k brick is stupid. I bought a case each of 9mm and .45acp factory ammo several weeks back at the Mills and that didn't hurt too bad. I haven't sat down and done the math but at current prices is it actually cheaper to buy factory fmj 9mm than it is to reload it? Even factoring that brass is free? :/
12 cents for the primer at that price, 2 cents (max) for powder and 10 cents for 115 gn projectile=24 cents. And that’s with the free brass

12 cents for the primer at that price, 2 cents (max) for powder and 10 cents for 115 gn projectile=24 cents. And that’s with the free brass
And Blazer Brass 9mm can be had for 32 cpr shipped, so saving about 8 cpr at those prices. I'll continue reloading as I don't like using hot factory ammo for my competition guns. I like my 133ish power factory 150 gr 9mm reloads.

If you're just punching paper and hitting steel and not competing, it MAY make sense just to buy factory ammo?

Holy f*ck. Once my current stock of primers runs out I may just stop shooting and start selling guns. $600 for a 5k brick is stupid. I bought a case each of 9mm and .45acp factory ammo several weeks back at the Mills and that didn't hurt too bad. I haven't sat down and done the math but at current prices is it actually cheaper to buy factory fmj 9mm than it is to reload it? Even factoring that brass is free? :/
Agreed, it is getting beyond stupid with the primer prices. I thought they would have plateaued by now but they keep going up. Larry had Remington SPP earlier at $100 per 1k before shipping/hazmat/tax....wtf.
The Ram and the Valley also recently raised prices too.

I got 4ish years worth of SPP left and if the prices don't drop 3-4 years from now, I'll probably just stop shooting and cut way down on shooting.

I’m trying to remember what the pricing ups and downs did during the super-scares like Obama, Clinton, Sandy Hook etc… but none of those panic buys also coincided with this Covid shitshow. I don’t ever want to stop shooting and competing (yes I use only reloads for all the comp I do) but I may have to drastically cut down altogether if prices remain like this.

This is a fairly shitty time to start reloading. I never thought I would because it's a giant time suck, but here I am. Didn't think I'd get into ham radio either.
Or canning food.
Or building ARs.

Just chalking it up to the cost of acquiring life skills.
Aw dang you just got into it? I only started reloading in 2015 and it was really only to save money on all the competition shooting. I had just bought my house and funds were minimal. What actually happened was I started shooting a lot more so the savings didn’t actually save me anything. ;)

Agreed, it is getting beyond stupid with the primer prices. I thought they would have plateaued by now but they keep going up. Larry had Remington SPP earlier at $100 per 1k before shipping/hazmat/tax....wtf.

I got 4ish years worth of SPP left and if the prices don't drop 3-4 years from now, I'll probably just stop shooting and cut way down on shooting.
I had a baaaaad feeling about all this.

I still feel like this is only the beginning of all this shit. Get what you can, while you can…regardless of price. There’s a reason I kept egging on @Mountain to just buy, buy, buy.

And don’t shoot the stash you might need to ‘get by’.

The fix is in and we might be completely f***ed starting soon if this bill passes the senate.

The .gov shit going on with Lake City ammo plant in MO should be very telling of what our future looks like until if/when dangerous men become willing to do dangerous things again.

Buy. Buy. Buy. Please keep posting updates here because I keep missing them. I no longer have the supplemental income to blow since I got the new house, but I’m doing it anyway because there’s too much on the line.

is a $433 for a 8lbs jug of Reloder16 also stupid? i think it is, but it is what it costs now, shipped.
I'm reaching out to shooters world powders and less popular powders that are still around $30/pound.

Very happy I still have several pounds of silhouette and an unopened jug of CFE -223.

With casting I can get projectile costs way down but primers now cost what my complete 9mm reload cost three years ago.

I'm reaching out to shooters world powders and less popular powders that are still around $30/pound.

Very happy I still have several pounds of silhouette and an unopened jug of CFE -223.

With casting I can get projectile costs way down but primers now cost what my complete 9mm reload cost three years ago.
Primers and powder are the truly essential components. I think brass and lead will be fine for a while at least. The ‘explosives’ will definitely start being regulated tightly…especially those made offshore.

I just have a bad feeling things are about to get a lot worse.

I still feel like this is only the beginning of all this shit. Get what you can, while you can…regardless of price. There’s a reason I kept egging on @Mountain to just buy, buy, buy.

Exactly. I feel the same way and that is why every paycheck I buy enough ammo to replace what I shot and then some. I also buy primers, powder, bullets based on what I need and what is available and prices compared to ammo. I'm going to keep stocking up and worst case scenario is I sell some off to get $ if I need to.

I've been mulling the idea to take up 22 PRS / NRL. Stay sharp on rifle skill sets and conserve center fire ammo and reloading components. Tough to find the 22 target ammo I like, so that idea is now a PITA. Maybe just pop in to Old Colony a couple times per season and keep going to the Camp Ethan Allen match in the fall.

I know firsthand that Barnes made significant capital investment to increase capacity and improve quality- not that they really needed improvement. That's how you respond to customer needs. I will never forget Steve Hornady's video when he doubled down on milking existing capacity while shitting on customers for their 'conspiracy theories' about the ammo and components shortage. I have two projectiles I must get from Hornady, otherwise F him. Other manufacturers should be catching up by now too- but they are not. Would not bother me if there's a wave of shooting consumers who say F it, I'll do something else. These companies are not our friends- they are milking the plandemic for all it's worth and for the most part have not stepped up to improve service.

Me? I'll fish more, shoot less. I'm having a guy out west make me a new fly rod suited to tight New England streams. He made my favorite rod many years ago that I used in tailwater rivers in Tennessee and the Ozarks. I will name my first fish 'FU Steve Hornady', to commemorate spending my recreational time on something else.

Primers and powder are the truly essential components. I think brass and lead will be fine for a while at least. The ‘explosives’ will definitely start being regulated tightly…especially those made offshore.

I just have a bad feeling things are about to get a lot worse.
Same here, and I am trying to buy when I can as well. But every time I see it price goes up.

I've been mulling the idea to take up 22 PRS / NRL. Stay sharp on rifle skill sets and conserve center fire ammo and reloading components. Tough to find the 22 target ammo I like, so that idea is now a PITA. Maybe just pop in to Old Colony a couple times per season and keep going to the Camp Ethan Allen match in the fall.
That’s been really popular and I’m sure more so now with ammo/primer costs. @MC56 will tell you to do it and can answer any questions

Don't do 22 PRS to save money.
That's not how it works.
I think he’s just considering it for availability/access to ammo instead.

But your answer kind of seems to be in line with basically everything shooting related.

Imagine how much people overspent in the past couple of years on reloading equipment, only to have primers continue to skyrocket?

Probably going to be a slew of reloading gear come on the market at some point (if it hasn’t already?)

But your answer kind of seems to be in line with basically everything shooting related.

Imagine how much people overspent in the past couple of years on reloading equipment, only to have primers continue to skyrocket?

Probably going to be a slew of reloading gear come on the market at some point (if it hasn’t already?)
It already is flooding back into the market. Combine that with increased production of this equipment during the last year and the prices are falling quickly. Ebay prices have been falling and the secondary market is falling as well. In our own classifieds here, you have a full set for $800 (Hornady LnL with other items) and it appears to be sitting there. 6 months ago that would have been gone at that price. MSS has even lowered the price on the LnL to $529 from $600 and they are not moving.

I also believe that the drop in ammo prices and the availability means people are less inclined to take up reloading.

Gunbroker prices for primers are starting to drift downwards as well, to the point where it is the same to buy it from a retailer. That will dry up the resale market and maybe level out prices. But who knows.

And don’t shoot the stash you might need to ‘get by’.

The fix is in and we might be completely f***ed starting soon if this bill passes the senate.

The .gov shit going on with Lake City ammo plant in MO should be very telling of what our future looks like until if/when dangerous men become willing to do dangerous things again.

Buy. Buy. Buy. Please keep posting updates here because I keep missing them. I no longer have the supplemental income to blow since I got the new house, but I’m doing it anyway because there’s too much on the line.
Natchez has Remington SPP. $90 per 1k before hazmat and shipping. No sales to MA of course. If the price was cheaper I'd be tempted to buy a case and ship to the UPS Store in NH.

They also have hard to find Alliant powders in stock too - 2400, Bullseye, Power Pistol etc
Figures I didn’t see this in time to be able to get both in the same shot. I passed on the primers (because they went out of stock before I had the balls to check out while I was checking my credit card statement for the month)…and then came back and saw this. I checked for Reloader 17 and they have it! That’s my Swiss rifle powder of choice and allegedly what they used in GP-11. I’m going to keep it in my cart for a few days and if some small rifle primers come up, I’ll pull the trigger. Thanks again Andrew.

Don't do 22 PRS to save money.
That's not how it works.

Yeah that match grade 22 ammo isn't cheap. And neither are those fancy rifles [laugh]

I'd save money in mileage assuming I could shoot matches closer than 1.5 hours away. Also my favorite match ammo that shoots super close to Tenex in my rifle is less than $0.17 per round. My center fire reloads cost that much in primers + powder alone. Yeah, Tenex would be about the same cost per round as my .308 reloads.

Fancy rifle is cheap...

I built a custom 10/22 back in the days of ordering via catalog and phone. Laminate stock, Volquartsen barrel and guts, etc. Upgraded to a Kidd trigger about 8 years ago. I can score 96/100 at 50 yards on targets with a 0.15" 10-ring, so it's a ~0.7 MOA rifle at 50 yards in my less than capable hands. Several of the top 22 PRS / NRL shooters are running custom 10/22's, so no need for me to think I need a Vudoo or the like. Basically all I needed for PRS was the appropriate stock and glass, so I went with a Titan stock which was only $200 with cheek rest inserts and some Athlon 6-24X glass.

Natchez with a mega primer drop. And boy do the prices suck lol
Federal Premium Champion Centerfire Primers Small Pistol
Federal Premium Champion Centerfire Primers Mag Large Rifle
Federal Premium Champion Centerfire Primers Large Rifle
Federal Premium Champion Centerfire Primers Small Rifle
CCI Standard Primers #500 Small Pistol

Last edited:
I bet that rampant Federal availability has something to do with people running out of storage space after hoarding two boxes of it.

Packaging jokes aside, damn- good job Federal for supplying their distributors.

Well, that pushed me to by some more ammo instead of primers.

Well, that pushed me to by some more ammo instead of primers.
Honestly, I have been buying more ammo this year when I see a deal for what I shoot. For sure it's ridiculous that reloading is costing more than buying ammo for the most common calibers. As Andrew states, the primary reason to reload now is to have loads customized for your specific requirements.

At least it's still cheaper to reload my .458 socom.

Meh. Rifle is still WAY cheaper to reload and I’d rather shoot my own home rolls. Potato potahto, I guess.
I stocked up on cci primers a bit while they were approaching $75 or so, felt stupid wasting more than a grand back then, and now with prices above a 100 - well. It’s all relative.

Back
Top Bottom