• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone know where to get Unicorn Droppings (primers) for non ass rape pricing?

Winchester large rifle and large rifle magnum in stock now at the Ram.
Really? Shows OOS for me but maybe I need to be logged in. And I can’t login as it looks like the ram has updated their website and security and I can’t get the verification code sent to my email for some reason

I wouldn’t do it.
I agree ... set aside their ability to ignite and withstand the pressures, LPP and LRP are not even the same size. They are, IIRC, the same diameter, but they have different heights, so either they would sit proud or they would be too deep. Neither case would be good. SRP will fit in SPP pockets fine, but SRP primers have harder cups, so it takes a really solid strike to ignite them. My revolvers seem to go 100% with them, but the semi-autos are hit and miss, depending on the strength of the hammer spring. I have read that SRP in really light loads have an issue of not sealing as well as SPPs do, and that this can lead to powder blow by and breach face erosion. In a pinch, I have no issues using them for 357 Mag loads, but I won't use them in target loads unless I have no other options.

CC

I agree ... set aside their ability to ignite and withstand the pressures, LPP and LRP are not even the same size. They are, IIRC, the same diameter, but they have different heights, so either they would sit proud or they would be too deep. Neither case would be good. SRP will fit in SPP pockets fine, but SRP primers have harder cups, so it takes a really solid strike to ignite them. My revolvers seem to go 100% with them, but the semi-autos are hit and miss, depending on the strength of the hammer spring. I have read that SRP in really light loads have an issue of not sealing as well as SPPs do, and that this can lead to powder blow by and breach face erosion. In a pinch, I have no issues using them for 357 Mag loads, but I won't use them in target loads unless I have no other options.

CC
Bingo

Really? Shows OOS for me but maybe I need to be logged in. And I can’t login as it looks like the ram has updated their website and security and I can’t get the verification code sent to my email for some reason

And I thought I was the only one having this issue with the new website! I just got off a live chat, and they are aware that there are issues with the verification process used to update passwords. I provided my mailing address and the chatbox said the customer support team should be contacting me soon to get things figured out.

No large rifle primers anywhere. Can large pistol (magnum or not) primers be used for 308 win loads? I see mixed answers online.

This gets asked everytime we have a primer panic and guys ask about interchangeability . Bottom line with LRP / LPP is dont do it. LPP's have thinner cup thickness (lesser intended pressures) and LPP's have approx . 005" less overall height . You could get inconsistent ignitions / light strikes from seating LPP's in rifle casings from too deep of a seating depth.

CC
My real world test have shown that to be true.
3 different striker fired pistols failed to ignite SRP primed 9mm.
Those rounds have been relegated to the PCC only pile.

This gets asked everytime we have a primer panic and guys ask about interchangeability . Bottom line with LRP / LPP is dont do it. LPP's have thinner cup thickness (lesser intended pressures) and LPP's have approx . 005" less overall height . You could get inconsistent ignitions / light strikes from seating LPP's in rifle casings from too deep of a seating depth.
Even if seated to what looks like a proper depth, it is possible for the strike to seat the primer deeper in the pocket rather than ignite the round.

I have great luck with SRP ignition in 1911 style guns; never tried them in striker fired guns. I loaded up on SRP when I was shooting both 38 Super and 40 S&W, The USPSA power factor was 175 (180 WAY back when) for major. With the power factor of 165 for major it is no longer important to use SRP in supers, and totally unnecessary in fotay (but, they work find and I have a decent supply, so I continue to use them).

Even if seated to what looks like a proper depth, it is possible for the strike to seat the primer deeper in the pocket rather than ignite the round.
This too. Don't get sloppy or desperate if you can't find primers. Not worth injuring yourself or blowing up your guns.

The Ram has Federal small pistol primers in stock for $100 per 1k with no limits. MARCH125 gets you $125 off a $500 order. Comes to about $85 per with hazmat shipping if you buy 5000.

CCI BR2 LRP for $142 per 1k but they already sold out. At least those are benchrest primers. But still insane
i still have 2 boxes of BR2 LRP that i am not selling :), but on the tests i did on 6.5cm loads i have i saw no evidence of any better ES/SD that from regular CCI #200.
best measured groups were in same exact realm of 7-5 SDs.

So what’s everyone’s trigger point for buying? $80 per k? $75 per k? Lower? Are we in the f it phase and just buying because it is what it is? We need this damn Ukraine war to end so the primers come down in price…what say ye?

So what’s everyone’s trigger point for buying? $80 per k? $75 per k? Lower? Are we in the f it phase and just buying because it is what it is? We need this damn Ukraine war to end so the primers come down in price…what say ye?
cci #450 was not going lower in price yet, i think.
so, not sure what you mean by a trigger point at this point. :) less than 5 boxes of them left is the trigger point.

$40. I have enough to not need to change my target for another 1-2 years.

I normally would be applying "skinflint math" to primer purchases but find myself buying at full retard prices....because I have run out of hope for return to normal.

I normally would be applying "skinflint math" to primer purchases but find myself buying at full retard prices....because I have run out of hope for return to normal.

I'm skinflinting my way to no primers. LOL. I think you're right and prices aren't coming back. $75-$80 is starting to look really good.

Back
Top Bottom