Anyone Know Where to Get Primers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's actually not too bad. The going rate for 1K is about $200 for SPP
That's the rape price on Gunbroker you mean. No vendor I know of is charging that. Most I paid was $282 per 5k - those were sold at cost to NESers. Otherwise I scored 5k CCI SPP from Bass Pro for $200 a few weeks back. BP actually had primers today but they sold fast. I had them in my cart but they went OOS during checkout.

Last time I bought primers, it was 32$ per thousand.

I just did a search and all I could find was this:

View attachment 412646
Dang.
The time to buy was 2018. I bought over 20k Winchesters (split with a friend) in December 2018 for $23 per 1k shipped then mailed in rebates which knocked the price down to like $21 per 1k.
Then 24k Fiocchi SPP in March for $600 - split with friends.

[tinfoil]

Time to start putting on the tinfoil? What the hell is going on with primers? Seems like this one is worse than the stupid run on 22LR a couple years ago. Shouldn't we start to see some better availability? All the hoarders still at it?

I try to keep ~3 years stock of primers, powder, and projectiles for rifle competition. I mostly burn through large rifle primers and have barely been able to replenish what I've burned up this season. Need Large Pistol as well but have been able to sub Large Pistol Magnum for 10mm. I realize years like this are the reason I keep extra on hand, but when's it going to end?

That's the rape price on Gunbroker you mean. No vendor I know of is charging that. Most I paid was $282 per 5k - those were sold at cost to NESers. Otherwise I scored 5k CCI SPP from Bass Pro for $200 a few weeks back. BP actually had primers today but they sold fast. I had them in my cart but they went OOS during checkout.

How early are you checking and how soon do they sell out?

[tinfoil]

Time to start putting on the tinfoil? What the hell is going on with primers? Seems like this one is worse than the stupid run on 22LR a couple years ago. Shouldn't we start to see some better availability? All the hoarders still at it?

I try to keep ~3 years stock of primers, powder, and projectiles for rifle competition. I mostly burn through large rifle primers and have barely been able to replenish what I've burned up this season. Need Large Pistol as well but have been able to sub Large Pistol Magnum for 10mm. I realize years like this are the reason I keep extra on hand, but when's it going to end?

There was a fire at a factory combined with COVID restrictions combined with a large amount of the supply coming from Europe & South Africa that created a perfect storm. From what I've read, the primer shortage fed into the ammo shortage and obviously they get first dibs.

[tinfoil]

Sorry, that would be my fault. I decided to try reloading and all the powder and primers dried up.
I have put the press and reloading stuff put away so things should be getting back to normal soon.

Last edited:
There was a fire at a factory combined with COVID restrictions combined with a large amount of the supply coming from Europe & South Africa that created a perfect storm. From what I've read, the primer shortage fed into the ammo shortage and obviously they get first dibs.

That makes sense. Thank you.

Sorry, that would be my fault. I decided to try reloading and all the powder and primers dried up.
I have put the press and reloading stuff away so things should be getting back to normal soon.

LOL that doesn't make sense.

I don't think its any one thing that caused it, but a dozen or so things in a short time. Its an accordion effect.
Pistol primers were always tougher to get during the spring/summer anyway. Fed primers - you had to hit it just right but there was always winchester as a backup.
With handgun comp season ending you'll see that start to work its way back to the shelves. The average first time panic owner who just bought something becuase of "Ermagod I'M gunna die I'm gunna use the gunshow loophole" will probably max out at 2 boxes and then sit on em for years. Maybe pull it out once or twice a year and touch it just to feel dirty.
Once theres a steady stream of ammo, then all the components follow.

Rifle and shotgun will be a different story with hunting season opening up across the country.
Theres oddball stuff in stock at t.s.u.s.a. like 54R, 7X57 and 458 HAMR (whatever that is) so theres some components right there that'll be used to produce other stuff. And theres dipshits like me that bought oddball ammo for a later build only to find out that barrels for that caliber are slowly going out of production. Oh well.

Don't forget the MIL/GOV gets first dibs on everything. How many rounds do you think the Big 4 burn through in a week just for basic training qualification? I think a metric shit ton would be a good guess.

I'd hate to be a first timer right now, because this is their 2008. When the smoke clears and the dust settles, I will stock several years worth and not just one.

If anyone sees 209A primers in stock please let me know. I've called area gun shops and none have any in stock.
I just went to Pelletier's Sport shop in Jaffrey last night to get some 209 primers for my sons muzzle loader. He has them in stock. He also had some large rifle for $47 per 1k (maybe 1 or 2 boxes left) I think some pistol primers too. Also had 9mm 115 ball, didn't see the price but they were limiting that to 1 box per person. Overall a real nice place with relatively non-rape prices. Almost picked up a box of 10mm 180 grain for $26

I have an app where people post when they’re in stock. Looks like Bass Pro had SPP, SRP, LRP in stock at like 1:15 this morning. Sadly I was asleep. I like helping others get primers but I ain’t staring at my phone until 2am 😂
Have you graphed the appearance times to see if there is a repeating pattern? If so, you should share the results here, for...ummm...science!

I'll tell ya, just because the website says it's in stock, doesn't mean it's sitting there on the shelf.. could be in a number of places..
1) still on the dock, unloaded from the truck, waiting to be put on the shelf
2) incorrectly in inventory but not actually in the store
3) could be on the shelf
4) could be in someone else's hands, but not yet checked out

the in-store pickup is a PITA. we have 3 people who take the orders, then it's their job to hunt for it in the store. Not bad if it's a new item, and we have plenty of stock... but clearance items, and low stock items might not be found.. that results in a cancelled online order. If your ISP order has been cancelled, that's likely why.

I don't think its any one thing that caused it, but a dozen or so things in a short time. Its an accordion effect.
Pistol primers were always tougher to get during the spring/summer anyway. Fed primers - you had to hit it just right but there was always winchester as a backup.
With handgun comp season ending you'll see that start to work its way back to the shelves. The average first time panic owner who just bought something becuase of "Ermagod I'M gunna die I'm gunna use the gunshow loophole" will probably max out at 2 boxes and then sit on em for years. Maybe pull it out once or twice a year and touch it just to feel dirty.
Once theres a steady stream of ammo, then all the components follow.

Rifle and shotgun will be a different story with hunting season opening up across the country.
Theres oddball stuff in stock at t.s.u.s.a. like 54R, 7X57 and 458 HAMR (whatever that is) so theres some components right there that'll be used to produce other stuff. And theres dipshits like me that bought oddball ammo for a later build only to find out that barrels for that caliber are slowly going out of production. Oh well.

Don't forget the MIL/GOV gets first dibs on everything. How many rounds do you think the Big 4 burn through in a week just for basic training qualification? I think a metric shit ton would be a good guess.

I'd hate to be a first timer right now, because this is their 2008. When the smoke clears and the dust settles, I will stock several years worth and not just one.

Over a year's worth of backlog at Vista (Federal, CCI, and now Remington). Yeah. So I guess one would expect the lower volume primers to come back first, but I'm thinking we're still going to have to be Johnny-on-the-spot to get SPPs until sometime in 2022.

Over a year's worth of backlog at Vista (Federal, CCI, and now Remington). Yeah. So I guess one would expect the lower volume primers to come back first, but I'm thinking we're still going to have to be Johnny-on-the-spot to get SPPs until sometime in 2022.
But making primers is easy AF for those guys. Hire a few more people and start producing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom