Anyone Know Where to Get Primers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder could you buy some oddball ammo that nobody shoots (thus still in stock), disassemble them, toss the brass, use the powder and primers and if feeling really adventurous, melt down the bullets to cast ones you can use?

You'd need to find the oddballs with the same size primer...

SP = Small Pistol
SPM = Small Pistol Mag
LP = Large Pistol
LPM = Large Pistol Mag
SR = Small Rifle
LR = Large Rifle
LRM = Large Rifle Mag
BLR/BSR = Berdan (not available)

I have no financial interest in the following information nor do I know what current prices are. I do know to an extent the inventory. Mandan Sporting Goods, Mandan North Dakota. Tele 701-751-1026.

I wonder could you buy some oddball ammo that nobody shoots (thus still in stock), disassemble them, toss the brass, use the powder and primers and if feeling really adventurous, melt down the bullets to cast ones you can use?

SP = Small Pistol
SPM = Small Pistol Mag
LP = Large Pistol
LPM = Large Pistol Mag
SR = Small Rifle
LR = Large Rifle
LRM = Large Rifle Mag

How would you remove a live primer?

SP = Small Pistol
SPM = Small Pistol Mag
LP = Large Pistol
LPM = Large Pistol Mag
SR = Small Rifle
LR = Large Rifle
LRM = Large Rifle Mag
You definitely could.

I have no financial interest in the following information nor do I know what current prices are. I do know to an extent the inventory. Mandan Sporting Goods, Mandan North Dakota. Tele 701-751-1026.
Thanks. ND is a bit too far to drive from New England. Do they ship?

You'd have to be desperate to go through that kind of effort IMO. I'd rather reload spent primers!
Yep. And the price of the ammo I'm breaking down would have to be real cheap to go through that effort.

Reactions: jpm
Just run it through the Lyman decapping die. I've done it many times.

Dang you. I was going to suggest using a "punch" tool and a hammer.

Not sure you could actually find oddball ammo with the proper primers cost effectively, but it's an idea. It should work "technically", if not financially or common sensically.

Someone on a reloading Facebook group claims Larry P had CCI SPPs last week. I never received an email but maybe they’re no longer sending emails for primers?? Idk I think this guy is trying to bust balls/get attention as I can’t find anyone discussing this on multiple forums or other reloading FB groups.
I didn't receive an Email.

At this point, I am sure they park two trucks side by side, the distributors and their own truck ready to ship out the product. Then announce they are in stock and start unloading from one truck, printing a label and loading into the next truck.

One NES member needs to get a job there and give us a heads up. We could pay him a finders fee per box of primers.

SP = Small Pistol
SPM = Small Pistol Mag
LP = Large Pistol
LPM = Large Pistol Mag
SR = Small Rifle
LR = Large Rifle
LRM = Large Rifle Mag
Removing primers is not a big deal.
Melting the bullets is also not a big deal. Just have to be careful if jacketed.

The oddball ammo will probably be expensive and not worth the effort.

Dang you. I was going to suggest using a "punch" tool and a hammer.

Not sure you could actually find oddball ammo with the proper primers cost effectively, but it's an idea. It should work "technically", if not financially or common sensically.
Even vs primers at $130 a box it's not cost effective... the only way this would make any sense at all is if the ammunition you downloaded was free because you're not going to get anything back on the rest of it...

I h have de-primed many live primers over the years but never tried to reuse them.....Would they work?
They would be ok as long as you press them out slowly and gently and don't crush the anvil that's inside the cup, they probably wouldn't seat very tight in the case you load them into though either, it wouldn't be ideal, they're meant to be seated one time, it's more of an interference fit than a slip fit, they squeeze down a little in diameter when you seat them into the brass.

Someone on a reloading Facebook group claims Larry P had CCI SPPs last week. I never received an email but maybe they’re no longer sending emails for primers?? Idk I think this guy is trying to bust balls/get attention as I can’t find anyone discussing this on multiple forums or other reloading FB groups.
Maybe thier email alert wad out paced bu the sold out alert?
I had 3 items back ordered last summer , printed order and Midway claims the order was not placed on my end. Ok what ever heres a copy of your email to me.
Anyhow I seem SPP for sale on one of the smaller vendors at a min of 1000k , add ship and hazmat to already over priced items, ughh.
I may have to part with some small pistol primers I need some cash!

Even vs primers at $130 a box it's not cost effective... the only way this would make any sense at all is if the ammunition you downloaded was free because you're not going to get anything back on the rest of it...

It was more an exercise in "what if" than a practical suggestion.

Someplace in the spider hole (my basement) I have a hand reloading tool. It looks something like a Vise Grip and it performs all the operations to deprime, reprime and seat the bullet. Another cool, somewhat impractical idea. Although it would be good hand exercise at the range.

There's a 10 year or so old thread hereabouts with some pictures of it. @AHM, can you find that for us? [laugh]

I have over 1000 rounds of factory 9x18Makarov I could tear down for primers. I rarely shoot my Maks anymore. Doesn’t seem worth the effort though. If I’m down to my last SPP’s and have no other option, I guess it’s an option.

I have over 1000 rounds of factory 9x18Makarov I could tear down for primers. I rarely shoot my Maks anymore. Doesn’t seem worth the effort though. If I’m down to my last SPP’s and have no other option, I guess it’s an option.

You can always save the rest of the components and remake the 1000 Maks once primers are available again. No reason you have to throw away 1000 rounds just to harvest the primers.

This won't last forever.

Those could be berdan primers if they are from overseas.

that's sacrilege, the universe is telling you that you need more guns in Mak

Grow dreads, tan, this could be you, mathafukah:

600px-SmokinA_120.jpg

I'd trade you for 9mm, but I am too lazy to look what I got in stock. My heart bleeds hearing your words.

You need primers, what kind? What's next, you put plastic furniture on AK?

that's sacrilege, the universe is telling you that you need more guns in Mak
My heart bleeds hearing your words.
You need primers, what kind? What's next, you put plastic furniture on AK?

I have 2 guns left in 9x18. Guns chambered in that caliber don't tend to be ideal for most of the competitions I shoot. Remember I asked you a few years back to sell me back the Bulgy Mak I sold you, what, 10 years ago? You declined. Some Comrade you are!! :)
I have about 12,000 CCI SPP's right now but they go quick.
No plastic stocks on my MAK90 at this time, which is the only AK I own. That's the real sacrilege.

You can always save the rest of the components and remake the 1000 Maks once primers are available again. No reason you have to throw away 1000 rounds just to harvest the primers.

This won't last forever.

Never said I would throw away anything. I would definitely save the bullets and brass. The powder I would even weigh out how much came out of a few cases, save the powder in it's own marked can, and reuse that.

Those could be berdan primers if they are from overseas.

I have quite a mixed lot of 9x18 rounds. S&B, Norinco, American Eagle, Wolff, Red Army Standard, Fiocchi and a few boxes of LVE. I think the brass cased ones are all boxer, and the rest berdan.

Really though, I don't plan on having to do this. Just saying in the worst case scenario, it's an option on the boxer primed stuff anyhow.

I'm actually planning to load up some Makarov this weekend myself.

I've got about 300 rounds of it I loaded up months ago. 95gr Berry's bullets, mixed brass, CCI primers and honestly I don't recall what my charge of Titegroup is for 9x18 but it's not much more than what I use for .380, which is 3.0gr Titegroup for 95gr fmj. I want to say it's 3.4gr for 9x18 which is the same charge I use for .38spl lead 125gr bullets... I think... Haha. I need to just stick to 9x19 and .45 once and for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom