• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone Know Where to Get Primers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too.

Makes me wonder if some of the people paying big bucks for the SPP are loading their own 9mm with it and selling it for a nice profit.
I have a decent amount of factory 9mm left and even if I sold a couple thousand primers, at 20 cents each or so I could pick up a nice red dot for my incoming acquisition and have a few thousand left...
It's tempting but you're only going to get those big bucks selling on gunbroker IMO. I don't think you'll find someone on NES willing to pay 10-15 cents per primer but I could be wrong.

And if you sell on GB then you run into the hazmat shipping issue. We've talked about this earlier in the thread but I think many sellers on GB are certainly shipping these through the regular mail etc. Not worth the huge risk/fines...

And if you sell on GB then you run into the hazmat shipping issue. We've talked about this earlier in the thread but I think many sellers on GB are certainly shipping these through the regular mail etc. Not worth the huge risk/fines...
HUGE fines if you F with the USPS or arrange air shipping for Hazmat. And if your normal non-air shipping happens to be loaded on air freight and you're caught, you're screwed.

I know of a case where an air shipment of loaded ammo broke open en-route and the owner got hammered hard with a large civil fine by the feds.

It's tempting but you're only going to get those big bucks selling on gunbroker IMO. I don't think you'll find someone on NES willing to pay 10-15 cents per primer but I could be wrong.

Yeah, that's true, without a local buyer it gets dicey. A man can dream about realizing a 695.455% increase in his investments...

HUGE fines if you F with the USPS or arrange air shipping for Hazmat. And if your normal non-air shipping happens to be loaded on air freight and you're caught, you're screwed.

I know of a case where an air shipment of loaded ammo broke open en-route and the owner got hammered hard with a large civil fine by the feds.

If you purchase primers and the seller chooses to skirt the law and ship illegally, that's on them, not the buyer, yes?

Or sitting on primers and selling reloads-

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me that a hobbyist would be dropping that kind of money ($150/k) on 5K of primers just for fun. And a store isn't going to either since the markup would be negligible if they sell. But a reloader selling loaded ammo that's impossible to find right now would make sense.

Two boxes (2 x 100) Federal Small Pistol primers spotted in the wild yesterday @ Outback Arms in Plympton. $10/per 100.
Wow. I posted on this site seeing that location offering $5 per 100 with a limit of 2 back on August 10th. I pulled that trigger. $10 per is too much for me. With that said I do not fault them. Supply verses demand and I am sure someone out there will buy those. If this goes on into the Spring of 2021 I might be kicking myself for not buying them at that price. :)

But at least the feds are fair and equitable, and wouldn't jack up the initial fine by 10x after they found out you're a highly successful business owner with lots of assets to seize. No one in government would be that much of a raging a**h*** about one mistake, right? ;)

Last edited:
Stopped by BPS in Foxboro this afternoon. No primers, 6 bottles of powder, lots of bullets. 50rd box of Remington golden bullet 22 $3.99 per box, 357 sig out the wazoo, no other pistol ammo. Lots of 300 blackout, 350 legend, and the less popular rifle rounds, 243, 270, etc.

I will talk to Carl and see if he wants to add a "Primers" category to his used gun listings (which includes consignments)

They have that 'other' section at the bottom of the used gun list where all kinds of accessories are listed. They'd be perfect there.

Stopped by BPS in Foxboro this afternoon. No primers, 6 bottles of powder, lots of bullets. 50rd box of Remington golden bullet 22 $3.99 per box, 357 sig out the wazoo, no other pistol ammo. Lots of 300 blackout, 350 legend, and the less popular rifle rounds, 243, 270, etc.

Needless to say, plenty of bullets won't go very far without primers and powder, but it might be time to stock up (on bullets).
Just picked up some "visual glow" 230gr. JHP for less than 16¢ a pop.
If you 9mm shooters get really desperate, buy the .357 SIG ammo and tear it down for bullets and primers!
Ahhhh! The beauty of .270 Winchester in New England, generally always on the shelf!

Stopped in Bass Pro a couple of weeks ago.
Few guns.
No primers.
Didn't look for bullets, (I get mine online in quantity), or for loaded ammo.

Surprised with regards to powder. Usually they have it in a display case, you look, pick out your powder and they go get it from a storage room. This time, the guy behind the counter pointed to an endcap and say that was all they had. Very little, and nothing I wanted.

Thinking that might be the next shortage, I went home and ordered another dozen pounds of powder from MidWay.

Man, what ever am I going to do with all these?

View attachment 392585

One of those Win Small Rifle bricks has about 7 or 8 sleeves left in it. I know it has more than 5 sleeves. I'll have a better count after work.
Might do a Karma on that one. Either whats left of it all at once or 1-sleeve-per depending on who needs what and overall demand.
Haven't loaded for rifle since.......... 2012?
I'm keeping the full one for down the road, but the open one is fair game.
Prices are retarded, I have it , someone can use it.

A place online has large rifle primers.. they are 34.99 a box of 1000. Just placed my order for 3 cases

I tried to grab some larger rifle primers from a place online (same place?) this morning, the stock kept fluctuating, and every time the "Add to Cart' option was available to me, when I clicked on it, I got a message that it was out of stock. I don't even load or own a large caliber rifle (yet), so I'm not feeling down about missing out, but it was the closest I have ever been to buying primers since I get into reloading a few months ago.

Did anyone happen to score Federal small pistol primers last night from one of the go-to reloading vendors?? I just read on another forum that they had some in stock last night.

Please don’t post the name of the vendor.

Ok, my BOT is running checking the unnamed vendor every 15 seconds. If someone on the NES team wants to integrate it with a MySQL query to get the email addresses of the green members, integrate that into the system, and set it up on a server PM me. (Python 2, with an from __future__ import to use Python 3 printf). I already have it running for a very small group at my local club.

I'm thinking about signing up for an online text message service to make the alerts more immediate for those not constantly checking email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom