• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone Know Where to Get Primers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's the prediction for when the Great Primer Shortage of 2020 begins to ease?

Winter maybe.
So while I was looking around gunbroker just for a chuckle, I noticed a lot of those sellers, or auctions, or whatever its classified as, had the "buy now" option.
If it was really that bad, then there wouldn't be any time left on the bids. Some were down to the last day of a 6 day run.
Those were the highest ones.
The $50 a brick ones seemed to move pretty fast, so that might be the new average for a while, but not the outrageously overpriced ones.

I half-lucked, half-planned myself into a reasonably good situation relative to my shooting habits. No doubt some NES folks with my stores would despair that they would be out in a matter of months, but for me it will be more than a year before I start picking the caliber I'm shooting based on my loaded ammo and component stores, maybe 3 years before the engine starts to sputter. Still, I'd like to pick up a case of small primers, SP, SPM, or SR, by early next year without paying more than about $50 a brick, preferably closer to $35. I thought I might just buy it from Jim in Littleton and be done with it, but he was down to just 2 bricks of Winchester SPMs yesterday, so I decided to leave those to someone else.

I don't really expect standing stock of small primers to return at vendors until large standing stock of loaded ammo is back on the shelves. I found this article the other day and had to groan at the BYOP program offered by a commercial reloader:

Great. Now we're not just competing with reloaders for primers when they show up at online vendors but also with non-reloaders.

My Winchester pistol primers came in today. Sure wish that vendor would use some discrete overpackaging. They always did with my past orders. This time they literally slapped labels onto the primer case.
Then again the hazmat label will disclose what’s inside
21DF93E9-2493-44AC-AEF8-4E904796855D.jpeg

My Winchester pistol primers came in today. Sure wish that vendor would use some discrete overpackaging. They always did with my past orders. This time they literally slapped labels onto the primer case.
Then again the hazmat label will disclose what’s inside
View attachment 384224

I wonder if it's because they're so busy. My last order from TSUSA was when things were just starting to get crazy. The discreet packaging was out the window. They pretty much just put a shipping label on the case of Federal 9mm I bought.

See, an extra 9 primers you didn't realize you had I can understand, it's the ones who say "I was going through my closet today and came upon two AR15s and 7K rounds of ammo I forgot I had" that baffle me! 😂
well your baffled because 1. You dont have enough ammo 2. Dont have enough guns 3. Your not that old.

Now is the time to stock up on packaging and price stickers so we'll be ready to empty the basement. I'm thinking $.79 per primer to start,
(I did not run out of toilet paper when the stores emptied a few months back)

If you know how to learn from experience you will only suffer through your first great primer shortage. For those of us who have been around a while, this is #3.
Truth. After the shortage in 2011/2012, I never stopped buying, even though i shoot a lot less than I used to (hoping to change that soon-ish). When I found it cheap, i bought a case. If it was a primer I didn't have load data for, I tested it on the powders I had and kept records.

Looks like Shooting Supply in Westport is offloading primers on gunbroker.
Are they not selling any in store?

saw this coming unfortunatelywith the prices they’re getting on gunbroker, why sell to us when they can sell for three times the money 😢

saw this coming unfortunatelywith the prices they’re getting on gunbroker, why sell to us when they can sell for three times the money 😢
Someone I know did buy primers from them a few week ago in person for relatively normal prices.
if someone wants to pay the gunbroker prices so be it. Let the shops make money to keep the doors open.

remember, most shop owners are not out friends. this is their livelihood. what do they say...money is money and friends is friends. you don't mix them.

Totally within their rights, as is the customers right to remember this long after the shortage is history.

Totally within their rights, as is the customers right to remember this long after the shortage is history.

I was writing a long reply and this pretty much summed it up in the meantime. I agree it is a businesses right to do what they please but I don’t forget easily. Is it worth pissing ones main customer base off and potentially losing them for cpl hundred bucks?

Those prices are madness....

I just want to say thanks to the NES community related to this subject. I've kept an eye out in the WTS section of this site for deals on primers and have not been let down. Back in March and again just yesterday folks on this site have sold me primers and helped me continue to reload through this shortage. This site is a resource that should not be underestimated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom