• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone Know Where to Get Primers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy it cheap and stack it deep. Words to live buy. If I stopped buying components right now, I'd still be good to go for all the competitions/ events I usually do until about late winter or so. And to me, even that isn't enough to have on hand.

There is a difference between panic buying, and stocking up on what you need during quiet times. ;)

Small Rifle primers work nicely in pistol loads except if you have a revolver tuned for very light hits. I don't even use Small Pistol primers when they are available, as the SR work nicely in Fotay and 38 Super and are arguably better in higher pressure loads because of the slightly harder cup.

The same is not true of Large Pistol vs. Large Rifle primers, as the later has a deeper cup.
This is very true but SR is hit pretty hard, too. In many cases a vendor that has primers will be wiped out from both...

This is very true but SR is hit pretty hard, too. In many cases a vendor that has primers will be wiped out from both...
Absolutely. It's not like the SR primer use in pistols is a secret, and some shooters prefer to use them. They are also the standard in some high pressure loads like 38 Super and 38 Supercomp.

Absolutely. It's not like the SR primer use in pistols is a secret, and some shooters prefer to use them. They are also the standard in some high pressure loads like 38 Super and 38 Supercomp.

Are people using them a lot for 9mm Major too?

Buy it cheap and stack it deep. Words to live buy. If I stopped buying components right now, I'd still be good to go for all the competitions/ events I usually do until about late winter or so. And to me, even that isn't enough to have on hand.

There is a difference between panic buying, and stocking up on what you need during quiet times. ;)
Yup. I took advantage of the Winchester primer sales and rebates back in late 2018 ($24 per 1k shipped) as well as buying 24k Fiocchi primers (split with friends) from Shooters Outpost in April. Then I scored 5300 pistol primers from a guy local to me last week.
I probably have enough to last me the next 3-4 years at the rate I'm shooting.

you are clearly not shooting enough.

:)
Tell me about it. The Rona has canceled so many damn matches this year. Though I still go to the range every weekend.

I have a good amount, though it may be small compared to what professional shooters have who burn through 50,000+ rounds per year.

Apparently one of the go-to online reloading vendors had Federal SPPs in stock last week. Limited to 5k per person. They sold out fast.

Sucks they don't have a email notification setup for their website. You have to check the site constantly. Other vendors had some Winchester SPPs but limited to 1k per person which makes little to no sense to order when you factor in the hazmat. Though I think they reduced the hazmat to something like $10 or $15?

Keep an eye on local shops, not just what’s on the shelves but specifically ask. Sometimes you get lucky like I did on Saturday.

8,900 SPP for just over a penny each.
View attachment 375940View attachment 375941
tenor.gif

And what shop is this exactly?......asking for a friend....

If I remember correctly you’re up on the North Shore.....

nowhere near there. [laugh]

im giving most of them to a few new reloaders I know.
Yeah I'm a long way from the Cape....Cod that is. I'm in Cape Ann.

Are people using them a lot for 9mm Major too?
I found a few threads online, mostly from the Obama years, with people saying they use them. They usually reduce the load by half to 1 grain for the starting load.

My only concern would be that my firing pin doesn't hit it hard enough (talking about a competition gun), factory, untouched gun, wouldn't be an issue.

Apparently one of the go-to online reloading vendors had Federal SPPs in stock last week. Limited to 5k per person. They sold out fast.

Sucks they don't have a email notification setup for their website. You have to check the site constantly. Other vendors had some Winchester SPPs but limited to 1k per person which makes little to no sense to order when you factor in the hazmat. Though I think they reduced the hazmat to something like $10 or $15?
The f*ck. I never received an Email.

i left outback arms in plympton 45 min ago. got large rifle , small pistol magnum. did not have standard small pistol on shelf but i didnt ask. pretty good supply of hodgdon and imr also.

I found a few threads online, mostly from the Obama years, with people saying they use them. They usually reduce the load by half to 1 grain for the starting load.

My only concern would be that my firing pin doesn't hit it hard enough (talking about a competition gun), factory, untouched gun, wouldn't be an issue.
Hitting hard enough tends not to be a problem with guns like a properly tuned 1911. Where you run into difficulty are finely tuned competition revolvers, where reliable ignition and light double action trigger pull are at odds with each other. Some revolvers are tuned to the point where they only reliably work with Federal pistol primers (the softest and easiest to ignite brand).

Hitting hard enough tends not to be a problem with guns like a properly tuned 1911. Where you run into difficulty are finely tuned competition revolvers, where reliable ignition and light double action trigger pull are at odds with each other. Some revolvers are tuned to the point where they only reliably work with Federal pistol primers (the softest and easiest to ignite brand).

Or Glocks where people throw "competition" parts at them until they don't work correctly.
A couple of matches ago I lent a guy on my squad an OEM firing pin/spring/cup setup because he was lightstriking and failing to ignite.

I have found that Murom Apparatus Producing Plant small rifle primers are more sensitive to being properly seated, probably because they are harder. I need to make sure the cup is bottomed out in the primer pocket, which generally means a bit below flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom