• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone Know Where to Get Primers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a youtube video explaining that the primers aren't being gobbled up by reloader buffs, but being diverted into regular ammunition manufacturing.

Do people here generally think this is true? If so, that still doesn't explain the equal shortage of items like cast lead bullets, which few manufacturers put into factory ammo.

I think this is all a combination of Covid madness making us all turn towards hobbies we can do at home, plus a general sense of paranoia after watching Antifa burn up the cities all summer with no police intervention. Thoughts?

I didn't think there were this many reloader enthusiasts in America. I thought all of us were dying off - too many "gun guys" I see at the range these days are people who couldn't change a spark plug, never mind make the investment in a proper reloading bench and learning how to use it. Good to see.

That said if it's panic driving the sales, it's a little surprising - wasn't nearly this bad during the Obama or Clinton administrations.

I don't think ammunition manufacturers have enough primers at this point or else we'd see more ammo becoming available and then moving out quickly. What we're mostly seeing is a whole lot of nothing show up. With regard to all reloading components, it's a cascade effect that began with new gun owners. There's a lot of scrambling of people of all types and levels to make up for being caught flat-footed.

I saw a youtube video explaining that the primers aren't being gobbled up by reloader buffs, but being diverted into regular ammunition manufacturing.

Do people here generally think this is true? If so, that still doesn't explain the equal shortage of items like cast lead bullets, which few manufacturers put into factory ammo.

I think this is all a combination of Covid madness making us all turn towards hobbies we can do at home, plus a general sense of paranoia after watching Antifa burn up the cities all summer with no police intervention. Thoughts?

From chatting with ~30 different people over the past 5 weeks who have purchased components:
  • 1/2 are reloading newbies
  • 1/4 didn't plan well and generally didn't keep well-stocked
  • 1/4 are small training centers or other commercial entities which load their own ammo

Therefore, lack of supply seems a simple increase in demand for the above reasons against a just-in-time production industry. As such, I don't foresee any investment to increase production capacity until/unless:
  1. the industry views this demand as a permanent trend
  2. the industry has confidence politics will not undermine a calculated return on investment to increase production

I didn't think there were this many reloader enthusiasts in America. I thought all of us were dying off - too many "gun guys" I see at the range these days are people who couldn't change a spark plug, never mind make the investment in a proper reloading bench and learning how to use it. Good to see.

That said if it's panic driving the sales, it's a little surprising - wasn't nearly this bad during the Obama or Clinton administrations.
Sandy Hook radicalized a lot of the under 40 crowd into reloading.

There were plenty of 209 primers at Heritage in West Warwick, RI the other week.
Can't recall price and brands.
CCI 200's were $42, but only a few bricks visible.

Ive been checking local stores and the big name online companies (midway, cabelas, bass pro, brownells, etc) that sell small pistol primers but keep coming up short. Can someone PM the names of some not so well known online dealers I can keep an eye on?

Ive been checking local stores and the big name online companies (midway, cabelas, bass pro, brownells, etc) that sell small pistol primers but keep coming up short. Can someone PM the names of some not so well known online dealers I can keep an eye on?
Those in addition to Natchez and Graf’s (both don’t ship to MA). Those 5k CCI SPPs were purchased from Bass Pro online last week (had to pick up in NH). They sell out almost instantly.

Last edited:
I use as well
I know we’re trying to help others but we don’t want to post vendors who ship to MA. Bass Pro doesn’t. I had to pick them up in NH.

Not trying to sound like a douche. Can you edit your post to remove the vendor name. I realize you’re in NH and this forum isn’t only for ma**h***s lol.

I know we’re trying to help others but we don’t want to post vendors who ship to MA. Bass Pro doesn’t. I had to pick them up in NH.

Not trying to sound like a douche. Can you edit your post to remove the vendor name. I realize you’re in NH and this forum isn’t only for ma**h***s lol.

Ah, I blanked and forgot they shipped to MA. I knew better. Sorry!

I have yet to have any luck with bass pro. I was able to add some to my cart again yesterday, only to go unavailable during checkout. My internet connection at work sucks sideways, and is slower than slow. I am thinking that isn't helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom