• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone know what's up with MA non-resident renewals?

My MA non-resident permit is set to expire on 3/20, and I'm getting concerned. I sent my renewal application via priority mail, so I know it was received in Chelsea on 12/4/20. I paid the $100 fee with a postal money order, and according to USPS tracking, they cashed it. However, I haven't heard anything at all from them.

This past Monday, I called the number listed on the state's website for checking the status of pistol permit applications, but the woman I spoke with said that because I'm a non-resident, she had to transfer me to another number. That number went straight to voicemail, which said that they were only accepting messages from law enforcement agencies, and civilian non-resident permit holders need to send an email to [email protected]. I sent that email with all of my information at 8:44AM Monday morning, but still haven't heard anything back.

Does anyone know what's going on with this process? Is there any kind of grace period because of COVID, or are they using the pandemic as an excuse to just sit on these renewals? After taking my money, of course.

There is no grace period. If you see how they treat resident LTC apps then apply that to how they plan to deal with non-resident applications during a pandemic, you have your answer.

My MA non-resident permit is set to expire on 3/20, and I'm getting concerned. I sent my renewal application via priority mail, so I know it was received in Chelsea on 12/4/20. I paid the $100 fee with a postal money order, and according to USPS tracking, they cashed it. However, I haven't heard anything at all from them.

This past Monday, I called the number listed on the state's website for checking the status of pistol permit applications, but the woman I spoke with said that because I'm a non-resident, she had to transfer me to another number. That number went straight to voicemail, which said that they were only accepting messages from law enforcement agencies, and civilian non-resident permit holders need to send an email to [email protected]. I sent that email with all of my information at 8:44AM Monday morning, but still haven't heard anything back.

Does anyone know what's going on with this process? Is there any kind of grace period because of COVID, or are they using the pandemic as an excuse to just sit on these renewals? After taking my money, of course.
I mailed mine in on Aug 31, and received it in the mail the last week of January. Another guy I know had about the same timeframe. I called end of September and they said “yes we have it, but thanks to COVID as an excuse, we are working less and doing it more slowly than even in normal times, so just hold your breath until it arrives"

Ok I made most of that up, but it's essentially true.

I usually mail mine about five months ahead of time. I usually mail it in March and receive it in August. My first application took about six months to receive it after interview.

Sadly I'd estimate you'd get yours in late April or May.

I guess I'm SOL for the time being.

You'll be in good company, I expect. I was late sending my renewal documents (sent them three months ago) this year and at this point my NR-LTC is now expired. I also had the same phone experience (runaround) a couple of weeks ago and sent an inquiry email, of which I've had no response.

I mailed my non resident renewal on Dec 29, 2020 it came in the mail today april 2.
I just got mine today also And I want to note that while it came in 13 days after my expiration date, they added 10 days to the license. It now expires 3/30 rather than 3/20. That was pretty cool.

Update from my March 26 post......About a week later, I received an email response to let me know the renewed license was being mailed and it arrived several days later. It appears to me that processing renewals does not take place "within" 90 days, but rather "at" 90 days. And yes, the valid dates basically start on the day the renewal is mailed. So, lesson learned. Mark your calendars to mail renewal paperwork at least 91 days before the expiration date.

The FRB got my renewal application on 4/7.
The letter said that it would take 120 days to renew and
that an in person meeting would not be required.

Back
Top Bottom