• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone know what animal did this?

Hunting for deer sheds, came across this. Woodpecker?
a6asy6es.jpg

you sure it wasnt man made? the wood pecker holes i see in my woods seem smaller and neater than that

Tree looks pretty healthy for bug infestation...But I usually think of Pileated Woodpecker when I see some serious chopping.
But their holes are usually more oval than round...

I would never kill a woodpecker but has anyone ever come across a dead one and check out the beaks? ? i am wondering what the hell those beaks are made of that they hold up to the jackhammering

I would never kill a woodpecker but has anyone ever come across a dead one and check out the beaks? ? i am wondering what the hell those beaks are made of that they hold up to the jackhammering

And their skull and brain. I think I read somewhere that they studied their skull construction when making football helmets years ago...
But I could be wrong...too many concussions...

And their skull and brain. I think I read somewhere that they studied their skull construction when making football helmets years ago...
But I could be wrong...too many concussions...

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-15458633

Slow-motion footage, X-ray images and computer simulations have shed light on how woodpeckers avoid injuries to their brains as they peck.

Their heads move some 6m/s (20ft/s), at each peck enduring a deceleration more than 1,000 times that of gravity.

But researchers reporting in Plos One say that unequal upper and lower beak lengths and spongy, plate-like bone structure protect the birds' brains.

I just stripped the front of my garage to reside and if the little bastard that has been drilling holes in the plywood doesn't heed the warning shots soon I will have one you can examine. Before it gets mentioned no I don't have any issues with bugs/ ants.

Back
Top Bottom