• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone know this snake?

Cluster F

USMC Veteran
NES Member
So I've been looking to creeks or rivers to find small mouth bass. No luck but while I was wading in the creek this was crossing the water. It's a bad pic but anyone know what kind of snake it is?

Yea tried picking it up with the end of my pole. He didn't like that and just looked at me with his dead soulless eyes

Were they like a doll's eyes? Because that's a sure giveaway that it is a shark.

From the picture, that is what everyone always (mistakenly) calls a water moccasin, highly poisonous (and not from these parts) - which is why they generally get shot on sight.

I'd say racer.

Field marks aren't consistent with a water snake.

When wet and older and havent shed in a while they are nearly black. Its a water snake. Rat snakes are very rare and its too fat for a racer. Racers are jet black. Not dull black

Used to keep them as pets as a kid and catch them all the time. They are nasty when first picked up but once they get used to you arent too bad. They spray some nAsty smelling stuff when threatened.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom