Anyone know of wilderness survival courses in MA?

I've been wanting to take a wilderness survival course, but havent found too many offered from searching online. Have any of you taken a course that you could recommend. Preferably in MA or New England. If you have taken a course what sort of things were covered?

What R U looking for? Some R artcy fartcy earthy crunchy classes, while other's can be straight forward do this don't do that.

AMC offers some wilderness first aid courses and probably survival classes as well. Safety trainers in auburn MA has a quick wilderness first aid course if you are interested as well.

Thank goofycj7, i'll check that out as well.

jmjkd- I want to get more into hiking this summer, so I'd like to learn basic survival skills, like building shelter, orienteering, first aid, etc. Information that would be useful for camping/ hiking.

Thank goofycj7, i'll check that out as well.

jmjkd- I want to get more into hiking this summer, so I'd like to learn basic survival skills, like building shelter, orienteering, first aid, etc. Information that would be useful for camping/ hiking.

REI also offers courses. Would suggest starting with a compass/map reading course. If you can find your way out in time, you will not need to build a shelter.

I was thinking the other day:

I have an all-wheel drive vehicle with almost 10" of ground clearnance and a roof mounted luggage rack so, Why don't I pick up a roof-rack mounted cargo carrier and pre-pack it with the majority of the items I would want if I needed to evacuate? That that become the stage 1 Bug-Out-Bag.

I would still advocate preparing an exsursion pack with 2-3 days worth of supplies for every member of the family in the case that the vehicle must be abandoned, but for the vast majority of evacuation requirements, having a prepared cargo-pod that can be mounted to the car in less than 10 minutes would seem to be a major benefit.

Definitely consider Sig in NH. Taken dozens of courses with exceptional instructors and have heard great things about ALL of their survival courses. check this one out, sounds like it may fit. link at bottom

Survival FundamentalsSurvival Fundamentals

Duration: 2 days (overnight stay)

Overview

•Shelter Building
•Water Procurement, Purification, Storage
•Fire Building
•Emergency Signaling
•Food Procurement, Preparation, Storage
•Range Commands and Safety Instruction
•Firearms as Part of your Survival Plan

Notes
Tuition includes the following:

•Course manual
•Free loan of any needed equipment (SIG SAUER pistols, rifles, holsters, safety equipment, etc.)
•20% discount on genuine SIG SAUER parts and accessories from the Academy Pro Shop purchased during the course.
•20% discount on future course tuition if you register during the course (Guest Instructor courses excluded)

Description
Survival skills are not just for the backpacker, outdoorsman, or sportsman any longer. Personal survival in addition to our families, survival is everyone’s responsibility. Survival Fundamentals will teach us to apply the 5 basic priorities of survival (water purification, shelter building, fire building, emergency signaling, and food procurement) to every situation where your survival is a matter of knowledge and skills. Test your ability to utilize these skills in an overnight stay at the SIG SAUER Academy.

http://www.sigsaueracademy.com/Courses/ShowCourseDetails.aspx?CourseID=84

No prob! I believe this specific course was highlighted on the show American Guardian as well. Again having taken numerous courses at Sig i can attest to their caliber of instructors and would hope this would be the same. As a matter of fact i believe it is often run by Scott Kenneson, previously with NH fish and game. here is his bio. If you go to this course, post a review if you can. good luck!!

Scott Kenneson
Senior Instructor

Scott spent over 20 years as a State Law Enforcement Officer in New Hampshire. Among other special duties with the state he served as an agency firearms instructor and armorer. Scott is a master instructor/trainer and has provided firearms, tactics, and armorer training to thousands of professionals. Scott is in charge of all technical and armorers training that the Sig Sauer Academy offers. He is considered one of the top precision rifle instructors in the world. Scott is a US Navy Veteran and graduate of the New Hampshire Police Academy. As well as being a talented tactician Scott is an expert in survival, search and rescue, and hunting.

He is an active member of professional organizations such as the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (IALEFI), International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association (ILEETA), and a life member of the National Rifle Association (NRA). Additionally he is competitive shooter and member of the International Defensive Pistol Association.

You should PM stixnstones.
He's somewhere in the Athol area and IIRC has held informal classes for NES members.

Thanks, Mr. Twigg.

I'm not a survival expert. I occasionally organize get-togethers to pass on what I've learned and to learn from others. Maybe I'll put together another this spring or summer. The state's Map & Compass course is good.

To the OP, check out

http://www.hollowtop.com/Schools_North_America.htm#Massachusetts
http://www.jackmtn.com
http://www.weteachu.com

in addition to what others suggested. I've taken some informal lectures from Marty Simon (weteachu) and I thought it good.

He said Massachusetts. I googled it, and most of the top 10 links were in NY state. Not much in MA from what I saw.

Could be a fun weekend thing for some members here to do.

I'm not a survival expert. I occasionally organize get-togethers to pass on what I've learned and to learn from others. Maybe I'll put together another this spring or summer.

This sounds fun, would you post an interest thread if you decide to do this?

Back
Top Bottom