• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone know if the Texas Hunter's Ed Course trick still works?

Texas Allows Online Hunter's Ed Course and allows non residents to take one, and all states aknowledge eachother's hunter's ed certificates. So I think it's simple as that.

Is their anything i'm missing?

I took the Alaska online hunter ed course a few years ago when I was out there but haven't used it to get my Mass hunting license, maybe I'm missing something? I can piggyback on the Alaska course to get my Mass license? I didn't know that. Or is it only the Texas course?

I took the Alaska online hunter ed course a few years ago when I was out there but haven't used it to get my Mass hunting license, maybe I'm missing something? I can piggyback on the Alaska course to get my Mass license? I didn't know that. Or is it only the Texas course?

It's a few states, I believe Texas and Wyoming and about 5 others allow for applicants to take the hunter's ed course online only. Must be 17 or older or else you have to take the field portion of the test. But since MA (and any other state) must accept another states hunter's ed credential. You can apply for a MA hunting license with the hunters ed course completion certificate you get online. At least that's as far as I know. I just wanted to double check but i'm pretty sure it's confirmed.

A hunter ed course of any of the US states, or Canadian provinces, has reciprocity with all others.

So, yes.

Now...the Texas course does not cover the weird quirks and oddities of the Mass gun laws, and how they do, and don't, mesh with the Mass hunting regs. For instance, an " LTC-A Restrictions: none" does not allow you to carry your pistol when in the woods during deer season. There are other state-specific things that you need to know, that are not covered in other states' courses.

Get the Mass Abstracts, where you get your license, and read them.

Texas Allows Online Hunter's Ed Course and allows non residents to take one, and all states aknowledge eachother's hunter's ed certificates. So I think it's simple as that.

Is their anything i'm missing?

Did it a few years ago, then got my MA hunting license. Basically because I was interested. Definitely would do local research before heading out to woods (and a just refresh memory of everything, because honestly keeping everyone safe is as important as keeping oneself legal).

Around me it always seems whenever I tried to find a class there was nothing around or it was instantly booked out.

I would highly recommend the MA class. MA has a lot of quirky laws as noted above. You coulde get jammed up by your ignorance. Massachusetts course covers Massachusetts specific regulations. Things that are very important to know. I can tell you that EPO game wardens have little tolerance for excuses.
They see far too much asshattery to even entertain whatever your excuses. They're only line will be save it for the judge.
Violating the regs could lead to a suitability denial of your LTC. There's simply too much at stake. Make sure your on point.

Did it a few years ago, then got my MA hunting license. Basically because I was interested. Definitely would do local research before heading out to woods (and a just refresh memory of everything, because honestly keeping everyone safe is as important as keeping oneself legal).

Around me it always seems whenever I tried to find a class there was nothing around or it was instantly booked out.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. You'd think they'd want potential hunters safe and prepared. I've spent months now trying to get something near me. Closest location that isn't always booked immediately is 200 miles away and they force you to do 2 days of class and 1 field course. 3 whole days 200 miles away. Ridiculous.

I really wish I could take the MA course, but i'm just going to go the texas route and read the MA abstract very thoroughly. They clearly don't license hunters in this state.

Now...the Texas course does not cover the weird quirks and oddities of the Mass gun laws, and how they do, and don't, mesh with the Mass hunting regs. For instance, an " LTC-A Restrictions: none" does not allow you to carry your pistol when in the woods during deer season. There are other state-specific things that you need to know, that are not covered in other states' courses.

I presume that applies in MA if you’re in the woods hunting, not just walking in the woods carrying during deer season... although w the stupidity of MA laws nothing would surprise me.

Am I missing something guys or is it true that under Chapter 61 B Sec 1, I can practice archery on any public land larger than 5 acres since it's recreational land. That would not require a hunting license?

The only reason I wanted the hunting license was so I can bring my bow into the woods and shoot it at targets and if they asked i'd say I was hunting red squirrel and honing my skills before I go on the shoot.

But it looks like i'm probably just allowed to set up and shoot. So long as I am 150 feet away from a highway and 500 feet away from a dwelling.

The proof that i'm not hunting would be the targets.

If you held an Alaskan hunting license you should be good to go. I took my hunter safety in Maine 20 years ago. Held a license up there for a bunch of years. 10 years ago when I applied for my Massachusetts license they were able to connect them. I did not have to show proof of hunter safety course.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. You'd think they'd want potential hunters safe and prepared. I've spent months now trying to get something near me. Closest location that isn't always booked immediately is 200 miles away and they force you to do 2 days of class and 1 field course. 3 whole days 200 miles away. Ridiculous.

I really wish I could take the MA course, but i'm just going to go the texas route and read the MA abstract very thoroughly. They clearly don't license hunters in this state.

Found out they were doing a class at my club, still couldnt get in. So I went that route. Can't blame volenteers for the shortage, appreciate all they do noone is making a mint giving MA hunters ed classes.

I would carry your cert on you while hunting, just to CYA.

On so many levels, that is messed up. I’ll just say that if I’ve got my MA lic, they should leave me the F alone.

I presume that applies in MA if you’re in the woods hunting, not just walking in the woods carrying during deer season... although w the stupidity of MA laws nothing would surprise me.

Oh I had a gam1e warden demand hunting lics, dl and ltc from everyone coming out of the woods from a pheasant release day. Everyone carrying a gun or not. He was real specific. As far as the asshattery that MWL sees, I’ve seen them be asshattery too. Things cut both ways. If you’re a tool. Everyone treats you like a tool.

ME let's one take the online course but you still have to go to a class to prove you have your survival bag and know why each of the required things is in there.

I'm doing it in a few weeks. (Already did the online thing just never had time to finish. )

Am I missing something guys or is it true that under Chapter 61 B Sec 1, I can practice archery on any public land larger than 5 acres since it's recreational land. That would not require a hunting license?

The only reason I wanted the hunting license was so I can bring my bow into the woods and shoot it at targets and if they asked i'd say I was hunting red squirrel and honing my skills before I go on the shoot.

But it looks like i'm probably just allowed to set up and shoot. So long as I am 150 feet away from a highway and 500 feet away from a dwelling.

The proof that i'm not hunting would be the targets.

Proof? That is not proof to a game warden.

The definition of "hunting" in Mass is extremely broad. If you're in the woods, during deer season, I would ABSOLUTELY be wearing orange, as a personal safety measure. Now, you look like a hunter, right? Mass laws and/or regs only permit you to use certain, specific equipment to hunt - anything else is verboten. So...you're dressed like a hunter, in the woods, during hunting season, with your carry piece. How do you prove that you're just out for a walk? This is why the Mass course is a good idea for Mass residents. The EPO tells you this stuff.

For instance, a loaded gun leaning against your car, is a no-no; there are different shooting times for regular hunting and WMAs. Some WMAs, that are stocked, have other restrictions. It's not a straightforward, common-sense thing.

Years ago, a buddy invited me to go out with his falconry group, at Weston Nurseries. My job: to whack brush piles with a ski pole. I mentioned this to an EPO at a class I was teaching, and he told me, "You were hunting without a license. But, we don't bother falconers, 'cause they're all crazy." Hitting brush piles with a ski pole is "Harassing" an animal ( though I scared none up), and "Harassing"=hunting.

Can't you use your LTC to get your hunting licence?

Not for years.

It used to be OK, but not now. You need either a HE cert, or a valid license from before. If you hunted 30 years ago, and had a license then, then you can attest via affidavit that you did, and you're OK to purchase.

If you haven't hunted in 30 years...a refresher might be a good idea.

Found out they were doing a class at my club, still couldnt get in. So I went that route. Can't blame volenteers for the shortage, appreciate all they do noone is making a mint giving MA hunters ed classes.

If you want to get into a course, and it's full, contact the venue that runs the course, and get wait-listed. My Club runs the course, and caps the enrollment at 40. We take wait-list names, and the number of no-shows generally exceeds the number of wait-list folks. This is NOT Official MassWildlife policy AFAIK, but how we run it.

Yes, staffing is an issue - "The pay starts at zero, but doubles every year" - so after you take the course at your Club, talk to the Instructors about joining their ranks. It's not a huge time commitment for the people not handling the paperwork, but it's a great way of giving back. And, each time I do a course, I learn something.

I did the TX course online. Once you do that and read the state website on the game youre targeting youll be fine.

The definition of "hunting" in Mass is extremely broad. If you're in the woods, during deer season, I would ABSOLUTELY be wearing orange, as a personal safety measure. Now, you look like a hunter, right? Mass laws and/or regs only permit you to use certain, specific equipment to hunt - anything else is verboten. So...you're dressed like a hunter, in the woods, during hunting season, with your carry piece. How do you prove that you're just out for a walk? This is why the Mass course is a good idea for Mass residents. The EPO tells you this stuff.

For instance, a loaded gun leaning against your car, is a no-no; there are different shooting times for regular hunting and WMAs. Some WMAs, that are stocked, have other restrictions. It's not a straightforward, common-sense thing.

Years ago, a buddy invited me to go out with his falconry group, at Weston Nurseries. My job: to whack brush piles with a ski pole. I mentioned this to an EPO at a class I was teaching, and he told me, "You were hunting without a license. But, we don't bother falconers, 'cause they're all crazy." Hitting brush piles with a ski pole is "Harassing" an animal ( though I scared none up), and "Harassing"=hunting.

My walking in the woods usually entails taking my kids for a walk on the local hiking trails (sometimes Audubon/town conservation land), no one would confuse us for hunters and no, we don’t wear orange, but technically we are in the woods during hunting season.

If you held an Alaskan hunting license you should be good to go. I took my hunter safety in Maine 20 years ago. Held a license up there for a bunch of years. 10 years ago when I applied for my Massachusetts license they were able to connect them. I did not have to show proof of hunter safety course.
Nobody has to show proof of hunter Ed in mass. When you buy the license online you are asked to click a button that you swear under penalty of purgery that you have taken a Hunter Ed course.

Can't you use your LTC to get your hunting licence?
No.

Hunter Ed covers HUNTING.

What did your ltc class teach you about hunting safety?

Also hunter Ed is a federal requirement. All states and territories have to require a Hunter Ed course before purchasing a hunting license. That's why all states accept any hunter Ed course taken in any state or Canada.

I took my Hunters Ed course when I was teenager. stopped hunting at 20. My dad tossed all the licenses and tags. When I went to get a license some 15 years later the state has no record of me on file? They said some records did get lost at one point.....fire,water damage ectect?
Even the gun club I took the class at said they toss records after 7 years so out of luck there.
I did some "swear on your first born" form and was able to get a license. worked for 2 years ?

i might take a on line course to ease the problem of getting license in future

I took my Hunters Ed course when I was teenager. stopped hunting at 20. My dad tossed all the licenses and tags. When I went to get a license some 15 years later the state has no record of me on file? They said some records did get lost at one point.....fire,water damage ectect?
Even the gun club I took the class at said they toss records after 7 years so out of luck there.
I did some "swear on your first born" form and was able to get a license. worked for 2 years ?

i might take a on line course to ease the problem of getting license in future
I took hunter Ed in NH in 2012. Bought my mass hunting license online same day. Checked the same block swearing that I have taken hunter Ed. I have never shown my actual hunter Ed card or cert to anyone in mass.

Last edited:
I was lucky that I had an old license number to enter proving I was pre-hunting safety course approved.
I think in the old days they accepted an LTC.

Same thing in Maine. No HSC required. Don’t recall how I got away with that.

No.

Hunter Ed covers HUNTING.

What did your ltc class teach you about hunting safety?

Also hunter Ed is a federal requirement. All states and territories have to require a Hunter Ed course before purchasing a hunting license. That's why all states accept any hunter Ed course taken in any state or Canada.

Possession of an LTC used to be (20-30 years ago?) acceptable for hunting license purchase. To get a hunting license now, you have to have taken the HE course, or have held a license. So, were my dad still alive, he could lawfully purchase a hunting license, having never taken a HE course, "On his LTC."

Oldsters that don't know that the old "Lifetime" FIDs aren't, and want to get back in the woods have old info.

Back
Top Bottom