anyone kicked out of family over guns and trump

It doesn't matter who brings it up. He participated. It's like road rage. Usually requires two willing idiots to take it to the next level. So don't participate when politics are brought up.

Sorry, but no. It does not take two. It simply takes one person that is utterly incapable of rational thought. I'm sure you're well intentioned and your view might work in "normal" conflicts but when you introduce insanity it simply doesn't apply.

To the OP, I'm sorry that your family can't set aside differences to be a family.

I have a sister who was vocally pro GW Bush when she lived in MA, but is now super left after moving to GA and getting married. I'm not sure when the switch happened.

We stay in contact so that she is involved in my kids' lives, but we mostly steer clear of anything close to religion or politics. Over the last few years, she has said some very hurtful things to me and our mom (for example: called Mom a "victim-blamer" and unfriended her because Mom suggested that it might be prudent to wait for all the info to come out before condemning Justice Kavanaugh). I have considered cutting off the relationship, but our family is/has always been very close knit. The MA to GA distance helps reduce conflict.

The last time I saw her, I encouraged her to read news from both perspectives to avoid the echo chamber we are all prone to entering. My BIL protectively reminded her that it was late and we all needed to get to bed.

I guess I got lucky. My family is pro-gun, pro-any politician that is for the people, and libertarian leaning.
My Wife's family is Pro-Trump, republicans and scared of guns but not against them in the right hands. They actually love that I would defend their daughters life (and she could also defend her own) with my own and some firepower. They just are typical city folk and think guns are dangerous, but not bad.
My sister in law is left leaning (teacher) but her husband, who I am buds with is HARD right/ libertarian leaning. It makes for interesting conversations.

I guess I am fortunate that everyone that I'm aware of in my immediate and extended family is conservative, pro-2A and pro-Trump like moi. Closest we have to lefty moonbats is the wife's (liberal, anti-2A) best friend and my elderly mother's (anti-anyone not a flaming leftist CNN/MSNBC-loving Dim) neighbor. We do our very best to avoid talking politics with either. [laugh]

Have no contact with my brother and sister. Took care of my Mom for the last 4 years of her life with no help from my siblings. After she passed the estate went in a trust controlled by my older brother and I got screwed. That is why we are estranged not Trump or guns. Although they are both flaming liberals.

That is sad. One of my theories is it should be normal for the sibling who takes care of an elderly parent to be well paid for doing so. Paid from the parent's funds of course, not any other way. That should be a conversation that should not be considered distasteful. Fewer elderly people would end their lives in care if this were so, I believe.

Be very, very careful who you select as your health care proxy. Make sure they do not have conflicting incentives. There is a massive sh!t storm on my wife's side of the family right now due to my wife's stepfather choosing the wrong person as his sole health care proxy resulting in his abuse, neglect and accelerated death.

I hope your mother is doing as well as she can at her age and being in the hospital.

If you don't mind me asking, I can understand why you "hate" Dems, but why do you "hate" Trump? Hate is a pretty strong word to use.

Thanks, we had a few tough days but we got her back home this afternoon and she is doing well.

I really don’t care to discuss my views of Trump here as that will turn this thread into a dumpster fire.

understand this is common in today's mind set. i have been banned from all events from my side of the family [my wife's side is more rational and fun]. mine are atheist, rabid narrow minded argumentative liberals with TDS and used a goofy facebook post, which others considered funny, as an excuse to pick a fight then turned it into a case of when one is being an a**h*** it is always your fault. they are what i refer to upper middle class suburban hicks; the type that cocoon in large colonial houses and never have ventured into the rough side of life. i have 9 grand children, whom i don't forget on holidays, and have to mail their gifts. been told by professional social workers that if a side of the family is that much of a problem it is more healthy to get rid of them.

No but I ignore a lot of family for not tolerating my points of view. I don’t have to put up with crap I don’t like or hear their bs either. Winning sounds different to different people

My brother has banned me from his Facebook. I guess he did not like anyone who does not agree. I wonder what he'll think when he comes here and has to click on "TRUMPISMYPRESIDENT" to get wi-fi access this Saturday for my daughter's birthday.

Maybe we should have another post, where we put all our crazy family's facebook accounts, and we can see who is the most out there.

9070c5b2-d4ca-4344-9f81-c0c20a200975.jpg

Thanks, we had a few tough days but we got her back home this afternoon and she is doing well.

I really don’t care to discuss my views of Trump here as that will turn this thread into a dumpster fire.

That's good news about your Mom.

As far as discussing Trump and it turning into a dumpster fire, I guess what you are saying is that the NES family is just as dysfunctional as all the other families in this thread. [laugh]

As far as discussing Trump and it turning into a dumpster fire, I guess what you are saying is that the NES family is just as dysfunctional as all the other families in this thread. [laugh]
Trump is an entirely different category than R, D, conservative, or liberal.

I've never been a fan, but I also don't let Washington divisiveness intrude on local matters ("Screw DC, save New Hampshire!" is my unofficial motto.)

My own lovely bride fully supports me, but hates that I carry the same party label as Orange Man. For her, it's all about the sex things, and she has good reason to despise people who brag about such things.

She doesn't unfriend family, but she will unfollow them. She comes from a huge family and is proud that all of her blood, half, and step siblings are connected on FB after tumultuous childhoods. She doesn't want to talk politics with any of them, and will hide political posts, especially from Trump fans.

I've never hard-blocked anyone, and it takes a really special case for me to unfriend someone over disagreements. ("Who the heck is this person?" is sufficient for unfriending, though.)

I represent everyone in my district, even when we don't agree. I do my best to avoid antagonizing anyone, but I will always be honest about my positions.

I am in that position now. Since I moved back to Hanover against my sisters advice, I have not had any contact with her. Both her and her wife are on the left, but not extremely so. As the last member of my immediate family. I miss her. But I do not miss all the anti Trump stuff I had to deal with every time I was with her and my sister in law.

For at least a while now, my sister and the rest of them (brother in law, plus niece and nephew) who are firmly in the 'libtard' camp haven't spewed anything political when I'm there visiting. Good thing because it was getting pretty bad. She, and the BIL, both went to BU so you can guess where they picked up that tilt. Nephew went to northeastern and was pushed even deeper into the libtard camp as a result. Pretty sad, since I did take him shooting a couple of times. BIL wanted to go with my nephew with me (mentioned it a while back) but I told them that they can't until they can purchase ammo in their home state (PRM). They haven't mentioned it since. [rofl2]

I've already determined that the next time I'm at their place having a family dinner, and they start spewing the libtard/dumbocrat propaganda, I'll either go up to the other part of the house (it's a two family, with my mother living in the other part) or just pack up and leave. F them if they think I'll sit there and listen to that hate speech.

Pretty sad, since I did take him shooting a couple of times. BIL wanted to go with my nephew with me (mentioned it a while back) but I told them that they can't until they can purchase ammo in their home state (PRM). They haven't mentioned it since. [rofl2]

I’ll take “Missed Opportunities” for $200 Alex...

I’ll take “Missed Opportunities” for $200 Alex...
I'll take "reducing my stress level" for $10,000 Alex...

For clarification, these are the same people that see nothing wrong with the restrictions in place for MA gun owners and also have no issue with imposing MORE restrictions on ALL gun owners.

Most people / family in Mass are liberals who cannot deal with Trump. I have a good deal of Trump stuff in my house on display. If they don't want to see it they don't have to visit my house. They can go shit in their hats. I'm sure they mutter behind my back but i don't give a shit. We manage to coexist by not discussing politics. LOL

I'm fortunate that my whole family, my three sons, their wives and my four grandkids are all into the shooting sports and hunting. Other than that, I have no real friends because the ones I used to have went liberal over the years and I have no use for them. With my family and NES, what more do I need? Jack.

True, but there's also no reason to entertain retards that goad people into political bullshit when it's not welcome.

-Mike

Thats an entirely separate issue. That's just an a**h***, and those are on both sides of the aisle.

BIL wanted to go with my nephew with me (mentioned it a while back) but I told them that they can't until they can purchase ammo in their home state (PRM).
(Condolences, but...)

Can't decide whether the proper soundtrack to that is
Jimi Hendrix singing, "have you ever been found 'suitable'?",
or Arlo Guthrie relating an induction center guy asking him if he's "suitable"?

My tolerant leftist sister unfriended me on FB.
You're doing things right then...
[rofl2]

Of course, I'm NOT on fecebook so... ;)

(Condolences, but...)

Can't decide whether the proper soundtrack to that is
Jimi Hendrix singing, "have you ever been found 'suitable'?",
or Arlo Guthrie relating an induction center guy asking him if he's "suitable"?
I've given up caring about that for them. They didn't push back on what I had said, so don't get upset over them. IF they really wanted to go, we would have worked something out. Basically, I didn't want them to just burn through ammo I bought and either not replace it or pay me to replace it. The previous times, with my nephew, I ate the ammo cost. He's working now (they both are) so there's no excuse for them to NOT replace ammo. If they can't figure out where to get the correct stuff (they didn't even ask) then I won't shed any tears (or fvcks) over it.

Thats an entirely separate issue. That's just an a**h***, and those are on both sides of the aisle.

IMO it's kind of core to this thread. My gut instinct says that if the OPs moonbat kids/relatives whatever had established some kind of "detente" that it would have not ever gone this far. Someone obviously didn't, and 8 out of 10 times its a moonbat that goes full retard and cuts someone out of their life because of political BS. This started happening when Shrub Jr. was elected but now with Trump it has
gone full retard. It's apparently OK now to be "triggered" at all times by political BS and base all interpersonal relationships with people based on politics.

-Mike

Trump is an entirely different category than R, D, conservative, or liberal.

I've never been a fan, but I also don't let Washington divisiveness intrude on local matters ("Screw DC, save New Hampshire!" is my unofficial motto.)

My own lovely bride fully supports me, but hates that I carry the same party label as Orange Man. For her, it's all about the sex things, and she has good reason to despise people who brag about such things.

She doesn't unfriend family, but she will unfollow them. She comes from a huge family and is proud that all of her blood, half, and step siblings are connected on FB after tumultuous childhoods. She doesn't want to talk politics with any of them, and will hide political posts, especially from Trump fans.

I've never hard-blocked anyone, and it takes a really special case for me to unfriend someone over disagreements. ("Who the heck is this person?" is sufficient for unfriending, though.)

I represent everyone in my district, even when we don't agree. I do my best to avoid antagonizing anyone, but I will always be honest about my positions.

There's no question that Trump is a far different animal than an "R, D, conservative, or liberal." After all, although he thought about it for a long time, he never was a politician and he has supported both of the major parties throughout his life. WRT using sex as one of the criteria for supporting a politician, a person with this viewpoint would have to be pretty much apolitical since both of the major parties have had their share of womanizers. JFK, LBJ, and WJC immediately come to mind as all were huge womanizers. I suspect your wife also wouldn't approve of Biden that supposedly swim's/swam nude in front of female agents at the vice president's residence in DC and at his own home.

Once you look past the sex issue though, I think that you'd have to admit that Trump's values wrt America are pretty much in line with your own values. He is rude and crude at times, but I look at what he has done for the country, in addition to him staying away from political correctness, which is a refreshing change for a politician. I've had enough of supposed politicians that wet their finger and point it in the air to see which way the political wind is blowing.

I also suspect that your laudatory effort to "save NH" is much easier with Trump, than say HRC, at the helm.

Last edited:
IMO it's kind of core to this thread. My gut instinct says that if the OPs moonbat kids/relatives whatever had established some kind of "detente" that it would have not ever gone this far. Someone obviously didn't, ...
Regrettably, all it takes is someone with the vision and discipline to lay down a "no politics" rule,
and most "mixed" families could get along fine.

Example: Even though freemasons get accused of running a secret religion
that pulls the strings on all the conspiracies in the solar system,
"religion" and "politics" are ostensibly defined as the two Third Rail Topics
during formal lodge functions.
Everyone supposedly is told to keep their opinions to themselves from Day One,
and it is claimed to work out just peachy.

Not every person in every family could live with a rule like that -
even for one Thanksgiving dinner per year.
But some families do, and many could cope with it if the idea spread.

... and 8 out of 10 times its a moonbat that goes full retard and cuts someone out of their life because of political BS. This started happening when Shrub Jr. was elected but now with Trump it has
gone full retard. It's apparently OK now to be "triggered" at all times by political BS and base all interpersonal relationships with people based on politics.
I'm sure that flavor of rancor has ebbed and flowed during the nation's history,
but that matches my memory of recent events

Back
Top Bottom