Anyone into eating beaver?

At least you can shoot the damned things. In MA they're a fur bearing animal or some bullshit and you can only trap them, IIRC.

-Mike
When there was a bill to ban recreational trapping in NH, we heard from the MA trappers association, who told us what a nightmare that was. Instead of inviting private trappers in, landowners now have to hire professional "wildlife control officer" trappers, who are busy and expensive.

When there was a bill to ban recreational trapping in NH, we heard from the MA trappers association, who told us what a nightmare that was. Instead of inviting private trappers in, landowners now have to hire professional "wildlife control officer" trappers, who are busy and expensive.
Kevin that whole bill was Bullshit, as there is no such thing as a license for "Recreational Trapping". It is just a straight "Trapping License". For some of us in the past when the fur prices were good it was a seasonal business. I was one of those guys. Now I trap, and look just to pay the expenses.

Kevin that whole bill was Bullshit, as there is no such thing as a license for "Recreational Trapping". It is just a straight "Trapping License". For some of us in the past when the fur prices were good it was a seasonal business. I was one of those guys. Now I trap, and look just to pay the expenses.
I know.

But the title of HB1504 was literally, "establishing a committee to study prohibiting recreational trapping".

And NH does informally call it recreational trapping, to distinguish it from Wildlife Control Officers. Nobody likes the term.

The reason why we killed the bill (even with the D-majority), was that it wouldn't have reduced trapping at all. It just would have made it much more expensive for landowners, who would have to hire trappers instead of just giving them permission.

Kevin, One more correction it is Wildlife Control Operators. That is what the license has printed on it. Yes, I have that license.

Today I lost my grip on a three year reign as the top ground hog killer of western PA. I killed 18 whistle pigs from 6a to sundown but some young firebrand came in with 24. I did win the consolation prize of killing the heaviest ground hog. This boy weighed in at 13.2 pounds which is an absolute unit of a ground hog. We used three rifles, a 17 WSM, a 204 Ruger and this boy was taken with a Q Fix in 6mm CM.

tempImagePK690z.png

One of the best meals I had in Punta Arenas, Chile was at one of the local good restaurants.

As we were all sitting down and picking awesome wines ($3/ bottle for good stuff) the owner rides up on his bicycle with a string of fresh killed beavers on the back.

Next time the weighter came out, he passed a fresh special list with beaver on it. Four of us immediately switched our order. We were not disappointed.

Clean beaver? Would eat again. Yummy back strap.

Today I lost my grip on a three year reign as the top ground hog killer of western PA. I killed 18 whistle pigs from 6a to sundown but some young firebrand came in with 24. I did win the consolation prize of killing the heaviest ground hog. This boy weighed in at 13.2 pounds which is an absolute unit of a ground hog. We used three rifles, a 17 WSM, a 204 Ruger and this boy was taken with a Q Fix in 6mm CM.

View attachment 512786
Even Kevin Brittingham might say that 6 CM is overkill for whistle pigs, unless you're sniping them at 300+. ;)

I eat beaver almost every day, try to stay away from the fish taco though....oohhh waitt not that kind of beaver.

Even Kevin Brittingham might say that 6 CM is overkill for whistle pigs, unless you're sniping them at 300+. ;)
It was 6.5 when I bought the Fix and I picked up a Proof barrel and switched to 6CM, it really is such a great round. I usually use the 204 Ruger but it was pretty windy yesterday and that round struggles in high winds. Nothing long yesterday but we have a couple of kills at nearly 300 yards, not one shots but walking it in with two or three shots.

View attachment 512786
Pffft........rifles are for pussies.chuck2.JPG

View attachment 512786
What are you running for a Ruger 204 also what ammo do you like for 204 ?
thanks

What are you running for a Ruger 204 also what ammo do you like for 204 ?
thanks
I'm running 32g V-MAX but Im thinking about about switching to the 40g V-MAX, you fall below 4000FPS but you gain some stability in the wind. I have a Coopers Firearms of Montana Model 52 Excalibur, its a beautiful rifle and an amazing tool, I'm not sure its worth the money. There are a lot of good rifles in 204 Ruger for far less, like the Tikka T3x.

I'm said friend. It's an easy crock pot or Dutch oven recipe. Salt brine over night to pull any blood/castory flavors out of the meat. Pat dry. Healthy amount of salt and pepper. Then dust in flower and brown all sides in a Dutch oven or pan. Cut up garlic, onions, carrots and celery. Cook till onions are translucent. Add the beaver back cover half way in stock of your choice. (Ideally game stock). Cook on low at a slow simmer till fork tender. Nice one pot meal.
That sounds and looks pretty damn good to me. Id eat it!

Back
Top Bottom