Anyone into eating beaver?

JRT

NES Member
You can pick this fat girl up in Western PA! This beaver was taken humanly with a suppressed 5.56 round to the head at 1080 inches. My nephews foot for reference. He's my beaver retriever.

IMG_0844.JPG

random-beaver-shot-rnomatic-not-%F0%9F%8E%A5-10992454.png

Flamethrowers are useless against beavers, 40mm grenades seem like overkill and then there's the $200 tax stamp per round. The truth is these f***ers are winning the war but little do they know I'm working on a tactical nuke in my basement. So far I have whittled a model out of balsa wood, I'm close man, very close.

Buddy of mine in Maine ran a trap line. He had trapped several and always cooked them up. I'll say it was quite good.

I ran a trap line as a kid, back when pelts paid a lot of money in the 80s. Coon were 50 to 80 dollars and Fox would pay around 200. I was a master at setting a coon trap and averaged three, maybe four a week. Fox are cunning AF, I averaged maybe 2 a month. I was a rich farm boy bringing in $300 bucks a week, sometimes more. I got my nephew into trapping a bit and I couldn’t get him motivated at 5 bucks a coon and maybe 20 a fox, that market is dead. There is one guy here still buying furs, he said he’d give me a dollar for the beaver.

We are just going to see if we can shoot a coyote over him tonight. So hopefully something eats this beaver, probs won’t be me.

I

Back a few seasons ago on Meat Eater, Rinella did a "city hunt." He found some eggs in a nest and ate those. He caught something else. He was in LA or SF or something. He culminated in making a meal for his city friends to eat.

What did he use??

A freshly killed roadkill possum. (Or maybe it was a raccoon - I forget.) He slow-roasted that mofo for about 8 hours and it was fall-off-the-bone tender. He knew enough to get rid of the areas that had the funkiest funk on them. IIRC, all of the fat was removed as it is very gamey.

The group LOVED it. Had no idea. Then he told them. It was a funny time.

I suspect beaver is the same. As is muskrat and mink and the like.

When they are handled properly beaver meat is delicious. If one reads the historical accounts of the Hudson's Bay Company and its employees they write of "country produce"; deer, moose, bears, fish of many species, etc.. Beaver meat is considered to be the best of the best. Muskrats, again handled properly, were also devoured. They never ate any of the weasel family (mink, otters, fisher, skunk, etc.) and anybody who had acquired a taste for them was looked down upon.

I donate some for game dinners in the winter, I skin and prepare them for the kitchen chef to cut up. Great care must be taken to not cut into the oil sacs or castors, otherwise that is what the meat will taste like. Likewise, I remove as much fat as possible. I have friends (trappers) who will eat it regularly during the winter, when they're catching them in numbers they eat just the backstraps. I'm not a cook by any stretch, so I just enjoy it when they prepare it.

I'm said friend. It's an easy crock pot or Dutch oven recipe. Salt brine over night to pull any blood/castory flavors out of the meat. Pat dry. Healthy amount of salt and pepper. Then dust in flower and brown all sides in a Dutch oven or pan. Cut up garlic, onions, carrots and celery. Cook till onions are translucent. Add the beaver back cover half way in stock of your choice. (Ideally game stock). Cook on low at a slow simmer till fork tender. Nice one pot meal.

Attachments

• 20190414_135434.jpg
    20190414_135434.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 59
I'm said friend. It's an easy crock pot or Dutch oven recipe. Salt brine over night to pull any blood/castory flavors out of the meat. Pat dry. Healthy amount of salt and pepper. Then dust in flower and brown all sides in a Dutch oven or pan. Cut up garlic, onions, carrots and celery. Cook till onions are translucent. Add the beaver back cover half way in stock of your choice. (Ideally game stock). Cook on low at a slow simmer till fork tender. Nice one pot meal.

One of my favorite punchlines in the world.

Me (to wife): "Hey hon - this beaver look like yours???"

I remember at my old job we had an employee named Vicki Beaver....you can imagine the jokes that were had...
A friend of mine's last name is Furbush. He took plenty of crap as a kid and in the military. Then his daughter got married to Billy Beaver, and hyphenated her name: Furbush-Beaver.

She gets banned from Facebook about once a month and has to prove it's her real name.

A friend of mine's last name is Furbush. He took plenty of crap as a kid and in the military. Then his daughter got married to Billy Beaver, and hyphenated her name: Furbush-Beaver.

She gets banned from Facebook about once a month and has to prove it's her real name.
WOW[laugh]

Shirley you must be kidding!

Back
Top Bottom