Anyone interested in monthly 3-gun club level matches?

Dan is correct. I'm going to try to get one match approved/run see how well it does. If it goes well, I'd like to do monthly or every few months. I am getting my ducks in a row, first.

If you're going to try to run a 3-gun at Harvard, or at any club, you really should approach it through one of the existing Action Shooting groups. The USPSA group at Harvard has experience running many 3-Gun matches including an Area 7 Championship. The existing groups have access to props, walls, registration, scoring, staffing, ROs, safe stage design, timers, etc., and endless experience running matches of all sizes. And if you're willing to work including stage set-up, they are very open to ideas for new matches.

If you come in independently, there will be many, many questions from the Board regarding experience with running matches, materials sources, experience with long gun matches, stage design experience and training, gun placement protocol, chamber flag supplies, etc. Probably more considerations than you would ever imagine.

The Harvard Action Shooters (USPSA) previously ran many 3-Gun matches. Attendance rapidly dwindled. Then we ran our regular rifle match and we had a huge crowd and many comments from competitors who enjoyed it more than our Multi-guns (except of course Dan S). The equipment coordination for competitors gets tedious; multiple guns, multiple types of ammunition, multiple types of mag pouches and ammo carriers, a method of lugging everything from stage to stage. You even need more cars because three guys don't fit in a car with all the gear and gun carts. Guys found that they spent all Saturday afternoon packing and all Sunday afternoon putting away, so they stopped coming. I don't mean to be a wet blanket and I apologize, but that's why Harvard turned to focusing on separate Rifle matches and Shotgun matches.

Yeah lugging all the crap for 3 gun is a pain, but it's fun to do from time to time. If I had the time to spearhead it, my approach would be to have monthly one gun matches that alternate between rifle and shotgun, and one big sectional/area multigun to bring out all the toys.

I just don't have the time to commit that much, but if someone steps up, they can count on me for setup/teardown and ROing.

Dan,
You're not being a wet blanket concerning 3 gun, you're being a realist. 3 gun, does require more effort and lots more stuff. As I posted in the 3gun Noob thread, shotgun is the biggest wall for most occasional shooters. It's a loading game, it's not practiced, so guns that ran for a round of trap or 3 or 4 pepper poppers, all of a sudden won't run when a 20+ round stage is shot. It's discouraging. I think the lack of quad rails and ghetto grips on the shotgun may have something to do with it too.[smile]
The clubs that do run a 3 gun match on occasion (Bass River) or even 2 gun (Nauset) don't get that big a turnout. Which is a shame, since these local matches can lead to further interest in a great variation of the action shooting games.

As far as turn out goes. I'm happy with 15 - 30 max for a 4 - 6 stage match. 8 - 10 per squad runs well and it seems that everyone always helps. As noted, Bass river is in Oct. I am happy to help RO and take down at any other club.

As far as turn out goes. I'm happy with 15 - 30 max for a 4 - 6 stage match. 8 - 10 per squad runs well and it seems that everyone always helps. As noted, Bass river is in Oct. I am happy to help RO and take down at any other club.

Tim,
Harvard isn't used to having so few shooters. [grin]

If you're going to try to run a 3-gun at Harvard, or at any club, you really should approach it through one of the existing Action Shooting groups. The USPSA group at Harvard has experience running many 3-Gun matches including an Area 7 Championship. The existing groups have access to props, walls, registration, scoring, staffing, ROs, safe stage design, timers, etc., and endless experience running matches of all sizes. And if you're willing to work including stage set-up, they are very open to ideas for new matches.

If you come in independently, there will be many, many questions from the Board regarding experience with running matches, materials sources, experience with long gun matches, stage design experience and training, gun placement protocol, chamber flag supplies, etc. Probably more considerations than you would ever imagine.

The Harvard Action Shooters (USPSA) previously ran many 3-Gun matches. Attendance rapidly dwindled. Then we ran our regular rifle match and we had a huge crowd and many comments from competitors who enjoyed it more than our Multi-guns (except of course Dan S). The equipment coordination for competitors gets tedious; multiple guns, multiple types of ammunition, multiple types of mag pouches and ammo carriers, a method of lugging everything from stage to stage. You even need more cars because three guys don't fit in a car with all the gear and gun carts. Guys found that they spent all Saturday afternoon packing and all Sunday afternoon putting away, so they stopped coming. I don't mean to be a wet blanket and I apologize, but that's why Harvard turned to focusing on separate Rifle matches and Shotgun matches.

+1. I would rather shoot a rifle, shotgun, or maybe a combo match on the local level than go through the above mentioned labor involved in a three gun (Multi Gun?) match. This will allow us to get our act together for the more complicated matches. Dan Hurley mentioned the equipment problems that the competitors faced, but neglected to mention the work load placed upon the club hosting the match, although he is obviously well aware of it. These people are all volunteers who do a great job, but have their hands full with the current schedule.

Any one interested in running a three gun match at Harvard should volunteer to work with the the Action Shooting Committee. Learn from them, it will most likely change your perspective on this type of competition.

Back
Top Bottom