• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone in Western mass buy brass?

Depends - what do you have???

I'd post it up in the Classifieds. - USPS Flat Rate boxes are perfect for brass if it's for someone out of the area. You can get an idea on pricing either from the other posts in the classifieds, or Gunbroker. Once fired prices are very caliber dependent.

I've heard there are scrap metal dealers in W. MA that do cartridge brass, but I don't know anything specific about them. Google and a phone call, I suppose.

If you're on Facebook, there's a massive (60,000+ members) reloading facebook group called 'Reloading Central' that buy/sell/trade reloading components. I've got some good deals on there as well as found buyers for all kinds of brass I no longer wanted.

Or you can post it here on the classifieds.

If you have once fired lake city brass in 5.56, you may find some buyers as the high power guys love it. There used to be a brass processor in the national match forums that would buy brass to process and resell. However i just took a peak to get his contact info and it seems he sold the business and there was not buyer info.

Anyone in Western mass buy once-fired for reloading or in general for scrap? I always clean up my brass anyway it would be nice to get something for it instead of throwing it away...

In Chicopee , Willmansett waste company. I fill up Home Depot 5gal and turn it in when it’s full. They will give you $40-60 depends on the weight.
Better then nothing.

I do hvac so I bring a lot of coils and copper. Happen to see a guy turning in a lot brass. So you’ll get something for it there. Just make sure no other metals are mixed in.

I was under the impression that in Massachusetts you couldn't sell or even give away once fired brass unless that person has a LTC or FID. My buddy couldn't buy a key chain that had a bullet on it at Four Seasons. So, how could you sell it to a company in Massachusetts unless the buyer has a LTC or FID ?

The scrap dealer we use has an LTC. Kane's in Chicopee. However, there's a market for reloadable brass, even the common stuff like 9 mm. and .40, and it's a shame to just scrap it.

I got a bunch of scrap buckets I keep around, recently I sorted 3/4 of the bucket, got 2500 of 9mm which goes for $20/500, it was a royal pain in the ass to sort though. I'd rather buy that brass than sort it again.

I was under the impression that in Massachusetts you couldn't sell or even give away once fired brass unless that person has a LTC or FID. My buddy couldn't buy a key chain that had a bullet on it at Four Seasons. So, how could you sell it to a company in Massachusetts unless the buyer has a LTC or FID ?

What makes you think a scrap dealer that accepts brass wouldn't have an LTC, FID or an MA License to Sell Ammunition??

What makes you think a scrap dealer that accepts brass wouldn't have an LTC, FID or an MA License to Sell Ammunition??

Probably because this is one screwed up state. Our AG is working overtime to make felons out of all of us. If it was N.H. or Maine I wouldn't think twice about selling once fired brass to a scrap dealer but in Massachusetts I just wouldn't take a chance.

Probably because this is one screwed up state. Our AG is working overtime to make felons out of all of us. If it was N.H. or Maine I wouldn't think twice about selling once fired brass to a scrap dealer but in Massachusetts I just wouldn't take a chance.

I’m assuming you have a Ltc/fid so why “wouldn’t you take a chance”? That’s the scrap dealer’s problem to worry about (if it’s even a problem at all), not yours. Either way, I’d never scrap cartridge brass, even though I don’t currently reload. I figure that I will eventually and have already taken Eddie Coyles class, so in the worst case, I’d just give it to someone who does reload, or sell it to a reloader (which likely has a better return than scrap anyway).

The small place I used to scrap my junk brass at would run it through a big magnetic table , then tilt the table to a bin. Some old crusty guy would roll the bin to a shredder. Pretty cool set up.
I know have trading partners for lead or other brass.
I met one guy who will give me 5pcs of 556LC brass for every one large call pistols 44+ and older larger straight wall rifle. Anything else goes to the Jr. Scrap bucket

I would try posting at a forum that has lots of competition shooters, since they like to handload. For example, you could probably find a buyer for 5.56, .308, or .30-06 on the CMP forums. Sending it by mail would eat into whatever money you would make, but it's better than $0.

Back
Top Bottom