• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone in CT offer FL non resident permit classes?

I saw a few places in other states that offer the FL non resident classes and they handle everything for you(picture,provide all needed forms,mail itin) and was wondering if anyone in CT does a similiar class.

Thanks

IMHO, the "class" is a waste of money. The FL CCW application process is easy. Here's a link...

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Yes I have been reading that today and I think I just need a copy of my recent NRA pistol class cert, a passport size photo, fingerprints, fees, and I should be good to go. I'm going to try and call them monday and confirm that with them.

Thanks

Yes I have been reading that today and I think I just need a copy of my recent NRA pistol class cert, a passport size photo, fingerprints, fees, and I should be good to go. I'm going to try and call them monday and confirm that with them.

Thanks

I couldn't even find a time limit requirement on the class so you should be all set.

True...but....

You can take our Utah permit class and use it to apply for a Florida non-res permit but the training that you use for the Florida permit cannot be used to apply for a Utah permit.

There are two reasons that I did FL and not UT.

1) No additional training was needed, so no additional cost except for the permit itself.

2) Everywhere I travel the FL permit covers my needs, except for NY, NJ, RI, MA and NH. And none of these states recognized either FL or UT non-resident permits.

Yes Utah non resident permit adds a few more states, but I spend alot of time in Florida so it makes more sense for me to get the FL permit both money wise and usage wise. I may still get the Utah permit down the road but having my CT res and Florida NR will cover all of my needs at this point.

Thanks everyone

I'm going to try and call them monday and confirm that with them.

Keep in mind, sometimes you have to wait 1/2 hour on the phone to get through to talk to someone.

I couldn't even find a time limit requirement on the class so you should be all set.

There isn't a time limit.

True...but....

You can take our Utah permit class and use it to apply for a Florida non-res permit but the training that you use for the Florida permit cannot be used to apply for a Utah permit.

Well I live in Florida so I need the Florida permit. [laugh]

And Florida just added Washington State to their reciprocity list, which I believe was the only state that Utah had that Florida didn't.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Utah' renewals are $10....Florida is like $107.

Keep in mind a Florida CWP is valid for 7 years...OK, it doesn't make that much of a difference in price, you're right with that one.

Digging up an old thread here a little bit, but hopefully someone can help.

I'm applying for my FL non-resident permit and I'm a little confused about the safety course requirements. It says:

"any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association."

The course I took to get my LTC was the Mass Chiefs Association Basic Handgun Safety. Will that meet the FL requirement? I can't find anything about required content of the safety course.

Digging up an old thread here a little bit, but hopefully someone can help.

I'm applying for my FL non-resident permit and I'm a little confused about the safety course requirements. It says:

"any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association."

The course I took to get my LTC was the Mass Chiefs Association Basic Handgun Safety. Will that meet the FL requirement? I can't find anything about required content of the safety course.

Yes, because instructors in MA are required to be state-certified.

Make sure that the course you use included live fire. Florida requires a live fire demo if you are going to use an NRA or gun safety class to meet the training requirement.

Correct, but even a single round of live fire will cover you. If your LTC class didn't have live fire, you can show proof of engaging in firearms competition too to be covered.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html

(h)Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1.Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2.Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3.Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4.Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5.Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6.Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7.Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

So just hit up any of the local competitions and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Correct, but even a single round of live fire will cover you. .

Yeah, there's alot of that "single round" nonsense going on in Florida from what I hear.

Those instructors should be ashamed of themselves for doing a single round.

Yeah, there's alot of that "single round" nonsense going on in Florida from what I hear.

Those instructors should be ashamed of themselves for doing a single round.

It's very common in my area for CWP instructors to do that. Most places they go to for the shooting portion of their classes are rental ranges that charge them for their time, so it's a way to cut costs I suppose. I have a few friends who instruct down here and they make it a point to actually work with the student based on their current skill level, and don't just rush them through the state minimums.

I don't really see the big deal with only a single round though. In Florida it's perfectly legal for people to have a loaded gun "securely encased" in the vehicle without a license, or carried directly on their person without a license (in some limited circumstances like going to & from the range or when engaging in the business of an FFL). The training requirement is to obtain a license that allows you to carry a gun in public without a specific purpose. I agree that there are many shysters in the firearms training community just looking to cash in on the course requirement, but no matter how in depth the initial course is, there's no guarantee that the person who took it is going to maintain their skills down the road, or that they'll have the brains to apply the skills that they've already learned.

Dammit. Didn't see the discharge requirement. I just passed on a course this past Saturday because I thought I was good to go.

I'm going to FL in mid-late April, now at the limit on processing time. I'll have to see what I can find.

Last edited:
Dammit. Didn't see the discharge requirement. I just passed on a course this past Saturday because I thought I was good to go.

I'm going to FL in mid-late April, now at the limit on processing time. I'll have to see what I can find.

Dammit is right. I didn't see it either. I apologize for giving you bad info. [sad2]

S&W has course openings this month which -might- get my permit returned in time. The S&W MA/CT permit course includes live fire... But how is FL supposed to know that?

Check out the handgun competition section of this forum, and find a local pistol match where you complete a live fire course in one of the disciplines. If you get something from them in writing saying that you attended, that would cover you under FL law.

Edited to add: Worst case scenario, you drive around with a loaded gun in your glove compartment while in the state. It's legal without a license.

Last edited:
I signed up for the S&W MA & CT course that is on the 27th. It should satisfy the FL requirements. I'll rush ship my FL application. Based on 2-4 week turnaround time being reported now, I think I may get in just under the wire.

Thanks folks

Attend the Summit 2011 and get a Florida approved course Certificate
Yes that is true.
Claude Werner will be issuing Florida Certificates to those that attend his Snubbie class at the Summit

Back
Top Bottom