Anyone ID this mushroom 🍄

What color are the gills? I was going to guess Russula sardonia, but that is purely a guess.

Is it like porous tubes or gills underneath the cap?
What color?
Or, better, take a picture of the bottom of the cap.

It should have tubes, not gills if it is a bolete. If the bottom is yellow and it does not bruise bad then it is probably a two colored bolete. It is choice mushroom, meaning very good. I have cooked them up before. BUT... you need to be sure. Do not believe us internet warriors. That audobon book above is the bible. Get it, read it learn it and start with simple stuff like chicken of the woods and hen of the woods. Then go from there. It is fun and rewarding. I picked 30 pounds of chicken of the woods last year. I ground it up, cooked it on the skillet to pull moisture out and froze it in bags. We use it as a bread crumb substitute and for filler when making meatloaf, meatballs, etc. Still have some, almost a year later.

Basically, what peterk123 said.
I personally will not give advice on mushrooms on internet.
Mistakes are too costly.
Some boletes should not be eaten either.

Last edited:
I’ve seen this movie before…

Matango.jpg

p1727_p_v8_aa.jpg

There are very few truly toxic fungi in the Bolete family. “If it’s red and bruises blue stay away” is somewhat of a myth as many of those varieties are “good” tasting and as in every case any wild mushroom should be cooked and maybe should be cooked for a very long time. Stay away from the Rubroboletus family.

The Bolete family has been going through some serious taxonomic revision with at least 43 families within the Bolete genus.

What you have there is Baorangia bicolor or Lanmoa pallidorosea. Both are “good” edibles which may give gastric upset issues for some. The Lanmoa may smell like beef bullion.

I’m eating a “Candy Apple Bolete” tnite that I collected today.

A34CF24F-2171-46F2-9DED-2B2692A862C0.jpeg

ETA: do not trust the AI mushroom ID apps as they are prone to failure.

Last edited:
There are very few truly toxic fungi in the Bolete family. “If it’s red and bruises blue stay away” is somewhat of a myth as many of those varieties are “good” tasting and as in every case any wild mushroom should be cooked and maybe should be cooked for a very long time. Stay away from the Rubroboletus family.

The Bolete family has been going through some serious taxonomic revision with at least 43 families within the Bolete genus.

What you have there is Baorangia bicolor or Lanmoa pallidorosea. Both are “good” edibles which may give gastric upset issues for some. The Lanmoa may smell like beef bullion.

View attachment 505615

Will second the edit. AI apps for plants are also not accurate. Always double check.

View attachment 505615

How are you feeling today?
Serious question.

Back
Top Bottom