• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone ID this mushroom 🍄

How are you feeling today?
Serious question.
Great! Just rehydrating now.....j/k

I never got a chance to cook them up unfortunately as we packed up for the beach and I won’t get to until Weds. I’ve eaten some “iffy” ones and the Scarlatina Bolete is another one I love. It’s red and stains blue. Grilled in olive oil, salt, and pepper on a piece of tin foil = perfection.

Was listening to MeatEater this week.

Amanita_muscaria_cap_H7z9yOfWVkWb.jpg

If it looks like you can throw it in Mario Cart - stay away. Not lethal but not fun when you get sick on them. (Only one death in over 100 years of research.)

The hallucinogenic chemicals this mushroom contain are muscimol and ibotenic acid.

They basically said it was a "bad trip mushroom, at best." The trip you get is NOT pleasant. And if you ingest too much, you get really really sick. One dude DID die of the things back in the 1800's. Is it any wonder that they use it in Mario and Mario Cart????

They basically said it was a "bad trip mushroom, at best." The trip you get is NOT pleasant. And if you ingest too much, you get really really sick. One dude DID die of the things back in the 1800's. Is it any wonder that they use it in Mario and Mario Cart????
Today’s reality is all the bad trip I can handle.

Great! Just rehydrating now.....j/k

I never got a chance to cook them up unfortunately as we packed up for the beach and I won’t get to until Weds. I’ve eaten some “iffy” ones and the Scarlatina Bolete is another one I love. It’s red and stains blue. Grilled in olive oil, salt, and pepper on a piece of tin foil = perfection.

…glad you never put that uncircumcised unicorn d*ck mushroom in your mouth.

…glad you never put that uncircumcised unicorn d*ck mushroom in your mouth.
Serious mycologists do eat stinkhorns. I’m not one of those. A fitting Latin family name - Phallaceae.

Here is a Ravenel’s Stinkhorn I found last year. Definitely the penis fungi.
C9A604BC-EA1E-48A6-A3E1-73016458EAAB.jpeg

tempImage4Rfuc7.png
Found this in my Bolete patch...4 days ago my patch was 'hoovered' by some critter...yesterday; I found a bigger patch in the same area nice size shrooms today just got home from the VA and in the all disappeared from the spot.....weasel in the woodpile

Matango, the Japanese version, is one of the creepiest films I've ever seen. "Attack of the Mushroom People", which was the bastardized version for American audiences (and "Creature Double Feature"), was weird/creepy as well.....but for full effect, the original Matango should be seen. It is....disturbing.

When "Attack of the Mushroom People" was on Creature Double Feature in the 1970s and early 80s, it scared the sh*t out of me.

View attachment 507343
Found this in my Bolete patch...4 days ago my patch was 'hoovered' by some critter...yesterday; I found a bigger patch in the same area nice size shrooms today just got home from the VA and in the all disappeared from the spot.....weasel in the woodpile
Old man of the woods. A choice edible.

The bugs ( larva ) migrated from the base to the cap in my red Boletes in 2-3 days of germinating.
You inspired me to go find some old men of the woods today. Found a few fresh ones with the veil still intact, a chanterelle, a painted suillus, king bolete, and a dotted stalk suillus. Notice the pink bruising when the old man is cut.
AF0B1E62-8EC3-4C02-AD9C-F1358A19A4F5.jpeg

That dotted stalk scuillus is everywhere this year. How are you cooking it?
I’ve been using my outdoor grill so far this year. I’ve either cooked them in a tinfoil dish with salted butter or a tinfoil dish with olive oil and S&P. When the weather is colder I will transition to more indoor cooking with stews, braised meats, slow cooker, etc. I’m not a big fan of pasta but a lot of fungi go best with pasta dishes, particularly king bolete.

Wrt to Suillus granulatus you ain’t kidding! I should have really stocked up heavy on them and flash frozen in a vaccum packs. There are copious amounts out there under EWP. Some cook them by removing the cap skin and the pore surface but I just eat the whole thing since it doesn’t upset me at all and I do like the taste. There are many more way to cook those that I have to try out. Namely, the Eastern European countries are steeped in history regarding this shroom.

Back
Top Bottom