• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone here who has participated/is participating in AROTC?

Hey everyone.

I'm most likely going to be participating in Army ROTC during college... and I just have a few questions for people that have participated in it before.

I'll post my questions after I finish making a list, and if someone posts claiming to have participated in it before.

Thanks a ton.

-Kyle

My son was awarded an Air Force ROTC scholarship... I can give you some answers if you'd like them...

I just wanted to know if anyone had gotten a scholarship for it, and I also wanted to know how I should apply for it.

Also I just wanted to know when the PT test is during ROTC because I'm trying to work out more so I know I will be able to pass it.

Thanks! :)

Do it. It was a long time ago for me but I doubt it has changed. ROTC scholarships were readily available for many majors. In AFROTC an engineer was a guaranteed scholarship most of the time, air crew candidates usually didn't get them since they didn't need to recruit. I did a bunch of training with the AROTC group (land navigation, rappelling, etc.) and it was great. If you are really in to it you can attend many army courses such as jump school if selected. I wouldn't hesitate if offered since they pay 100% plus a small stipend. Hopefully it hasn't changed.

Just call the ROTC office on campus and tell them you are interested.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Do it. It was a long time ago for me but I doubt it has changed. ROTC scholarships were readily available for many majors. In AFROTC an engineer was a guaranteed scholarship most of the time, air crew candidates usually didn't get them since they didn't need to recruit. I did a bunch of training with the AROTC group (land navigation, rappelling, etc.) and it was great. If you are really in to it you can attend many army courses such as jump school if selected. I wouldn't hesitate if offered since they pay 100% plus a small stipend. Hopefully it hasn't changed.

Just call the ROTC office on campus and tell them you are interested.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

So if I do the four year course they'll automatically give me at least something?

So if I do the four year course they'll automatically give me at least something?

Call the ROTC they will give you all the answers. I experienced a little of it before I decided that enlisting is what I want to do with the Army. With Army ROTC if you sign on the dotted line you will list your choices of MOS's and depending on how you score at LDAC which is the summer before senior year at Ft. Lewis in Washington and also your academic and grades during ROTC will all come into play. Obviously picking a highly desirable job such as infantry will be more difficult then others. The ball is in your court before you sign on the dotted line. My advice is try it out for a year without signing and see if it is what you want. Just my two cents, and the limited experience I had with it and close friends in the program.

Tapatalkin

I did Army ROTC during college and commissioned in 2010. You can PM me with any questions you might have. Its been a few years but most things remain the same.

Not to be a thread-zombie, but if you're primarily concerned with finances, have you considered joining the National Guard? Signing up will net you a Tuition and Fees Waiver that will give you free tuition at any state school (room and board not covered, although if you live off-campus you could be eligible for a Basic Allowance for Housing). Additionally, if you're in the Guard and ROTC, you become what's called an SMP (Simultaneous Membership Program) which grants you additional accessions points toward selecting your preferred branch to commission. Keep in mind, if you're not sure yet about making a commitment to the military then this isn't for you-- an 8 year contract is the standard. The same applies if you take a scholarship though, a promise is a promise, especially to the United States Government. But, if you know you want to join up, and are just worried about getting a scholarship, then by all means go Guard.

Do note that this should be taken purely as advice; talk to a recruiter / your ROTC cadre before making any decisions or signing paperwork.

Back
Top Bottom