Anyone here going to the Marlboro Flea Market on Saturday?

I see Rex is a boy dog.

OK, back on track. Marlboro is a flea market. Dozens of tables with people unloading stuff they don't want and a few sellers selling new stuff. A few hours after the doors open prices get negotiable. I went to Marlboro right after I got my license in 2010. It worked out great. They gave VE exams and my son got his General while I shopped. I got an old but functional FT-2600 2M rig and nice mag-mount 2M/70cm antenna for the car, plus a 20A Astron 12V power supply, all for well under $150. Watch out though. There are people there that will sell you junk. Always ask for their call sign. That way if they screw you, you can at least post about them on eHam.net's Good Seller/Buyer Beware forum.

If you're a new ham, go. Even if you don't buy anything you'll learn enough to make the entrance fee worthwhile.

Last edited:
... Marlboro is a flea market. Dozens of tables with people unloading stuff they don't want and a few sellers selling new stuff. ...

If you're a new ham, go. Even if you don't buy anything you'll learn enough to make the entrance fee worthwhile.

To wit: "2016 Flea Market Flier" (sic).

About 1½ of the 2 cafeterias in the middle school will be occupied. (I.e. the north cafeteria will probably have some unoccupied tables).

If it's like previous years, they'll sell coffee and donuts on-site for breakfast, and hot dogs, soda and chips for lunch.

73's, BCNU

P. S. If the snow's not deep, you can see a memorial to USS Thresher (SSN-593), just off school grounds.

Last edited:
To wit: "2016 Flea Market Flier" (sic).

About 1½ of the 2 cafeterias in the middle school will be occupied. (I.e. the north cafeteria will probably have some unoccupied tables).

If it's like previous years, they'll sell coffee and donuts on-site for breakfast, and hot dogs, soda and chips for lunch.

73's, BCNU

P. S. If the snow's not deep, you can see a memorial to USS Thresher (SSN-593), just off school grounds.

Oh, that's cool. An Elmer here in town was on the SAR mission that looked for the Thresher when she went down. I'll have to tell him about that in the event he doesn't already know.

If anyone is going in is in the Ayer/Shirley area, I'd like to bum a ride...or at least request someone look for and/or purchase 6 ferite chokes for my smoke alarm issues. I'll pop for gas, coffee, donuts, whatever.

Oh, that's cool. An Elmer here in town was on the SAR mission that looked for the Thresher when she went down. I'll have to tell him about that in the event he doesn't already know.

If anyone is going in is in the Ayer/Shirley area, I'd like to bum a ride...or at least request someone look for and/or purchase 6 ferite chokes for my smoke alarm issues. I'll pop for gas, coffee, donuts, whatever.

Did you ever confirm that it's the wiring to the detector that's the problem, vs the detector itself? Mine are all battery powered and still chirp when I key the mic sometimes.

I've only seen the monument about twice, but if it's what I'm looking at on Google Street View, it's "headstone-sized". Plus they named the school entrance road after Thresher, of course.

Sigh. There was a ham aboard her (Chief Engineman Arsenault), but I haven't yet discovered his callsign.

Did you ever confirm that it's the wiring to the detector that's the problem, vs the detector itself? Mine are all battery powered and still chirp when I key the mic sometimes.

To whet your appetite, there are likely to be at least two guys there selling "ferrets" among other things. IIRC, both were in the north cafeteria, and I think both will have several formulations. At least one and hopefully both, will be able to advise on which flavor to buy. One was on the east end of the south wall, and the other on the south end of the east wall. Some of the latter guy's ferrites are factory packaged by being sandwiched between thick cellophane glued to a big sheet of cardboard. You tell him how many you want, and he cuts them out. The other guy may have them in shoe boxes or the like. But ISTR that both guys I saw sell new surplus stock - not some previously-used crapola pulled out of gear.

Q: Which specific band(s) set off the detectors?
(You'd probably buy different toroids for HF vs. VHF).

Thanks for the posting as I was not aware of it. To be sure this is for NEXT Friday the 18th correct?

No; this Saturday, 13-Feb'16, like it says in the "flier".

Last edited:

Swapped out all of the detectors and it still happens. They are hardwired. Problem is, the issue moves around to various detectors. Tonight, one of my first floor detectors was chirping.

So, I think it really is RF causing this.

Best deals occur before the doors ever open. Buy a table, I always do!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Swapped out all of the detectors and it still happens. They are hardwired. Problem is, the issue moves around to various detectors. Tonight, one of my first floor detectors was chirping.

So, I think it really is RF causing this.

Same thing here but with battery powered ones. It moves around to a few different detectors and sometimes my subwoofer farts. All I'm saying is the problem might be internal to the detector, not related to the power wires. I'm just trying to save you from chasing a red herring. Then again chokes are fairly cheap, you're learning something, and your problem might be different from mine, so it's not all bad.

... If the snow's not deep, you can see a memorial to USS Thresher (SSN-593), just off school grounds.
Oh, that's cool. An Elmer here in town was on the SAR mission that looked for the Thresher when she went down. I'll have to tell him about that in the event he doesn't already know. ...
I've only seen the monument about twice, but if it's what I'm looking at on Google Street View, it's "headstone-sized". Plus they named the school entrance road after Thresher, of course.

Sigh. There was a ham aboard her (Chief Engineman Arsenault), but I haven't yet discovered his callsign. ...

Someone has put the Fall 1952 Callbook online. His call was W1SNO.

73's,

FleaMarketFlyer.jpg

I went small but good show didn't see much that interested me however I got a BuckMaster 7 band, 300 watt dipole antenna for cheep money and a few SO-239 Chassis mount for a buck a piece and 50 feet of 300 ohm ladder line. Can't wait for NEAR-Fest in May

How was the stench tho? Or was there enough space to move at a rapid clip from offenders lol

ETA: sad I missed this though, stench aside hamfests/fleas are great places to pick up parts

I was there right at 9 and for the most part didn't notice many offensive odors. Everyone I interacted with was also very nice and helpful.

Back
Top Bottom