• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone here familiar with antique primitive bows?

Machines

NES Member
I've had a very, very old bow in my family for as long as I can remember. I'll get pics when I have a chance, but it's a long carved wooden bow with a wooden bow string that's woven on each end. Also has some small woven grass/reed decorative touches. I'm in the northeastern US so I'd assume it's Native American, but it doesn't look like ones I've seen before.

Anybody here knowledgeable in this area?

Sheldon Royal at Hunter's Rendezvous is into Indian stuff and long bows. He's not the most talkative guy you'll ever meet but he'll probably know what it is. You can also try Brian Visco at Teepee Archery.

caveman.jpg

Try using The Traditional Boyers Bible, Volume 2 for an article by Al Herrin on Eastern a woodland bows As a reference. He's an authority on the various designs.

The Peabody Museum has the Sudbury bow, an authenticated Wampanoag design that's ~300 years old. There's a video online.

If it has horn tips it could be an English longbow. But the reed detailing doesn't fit.

Some Asian countries like the Philippines sell things like that as souvenirs. Any arrows?

You may want to post a picture of it on the Primitive Archer forum.

Back
Top Bottom