1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Anyone have experience with 7x57?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stape, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Stape

Stape

So, been thinking forever about getting a Ruger No1 RSI, I've always wanted one, and its not an overly expensive rifle, just never got around to getting one. This year, soon, I think I'm going to finally get one. I want it to be chambered in something different. Originally I had always wanted one in the classic 30-06, but have been really studying up on 7x57.

The No1 isn't exactly a "popular" rifle, so I think it'd be just that much more neat having one in something different. It's primary use is just North American game. I doubt I'll ever go after moose or anything bigger than mule deer.

That said, anyone hunt/target shoot or enjoy loading for the 7x57?

In regards to white tail, I think too many people use way to much gun for deer. There's no such thing as "too dead" but I want to enjoy shooting the rifle aside from hunting season, and I've read that the 7x57 recoil is pretty shooter friendly. If so, what does it compare to?

I'm not recoil sensitive, but not a fan of needlessly beating myself up either.

2. miniion

miniion

I am.not into reloading, but my 1935 Mauser Chileno is by far the most pleasant rifle to shoot out of my arsenal. Very precise and one third less recoil vs my M39.

RKG and Stape like this.
  3. NautiBuoys

NautiBuoys

Great classic round. I’ve been successfully using a 7x57 for many years. Over 50 deer plus black bear and antelope have fallen to mine. All one shot drops but 2. Basically equivalent to the 7-08, which is considered by many to be the ideal deer round. Accurate, easy on the shoulder and plenty of ammo around, in both factory and reload components. Known to punch above it’s weight, with lots of history.

Stape likes this.
  4. shootymacshootface

shootymacshootface NES Member

Rutland , in the oppressive Republic of Massachuse
    [QUOTE="NautiBuoys, post: Accurate, easy on the shoulder and plenty of ammo around, in both factory and reload components. Known to punch above it’s weight, with lots of history.[/QUOTE]
    This is exactly what I was going to say.
    You will probably fall in love with it.
    You wont be disappointed.

Stape likes this.
  5. miniion

miniion

Find some of the older Norma ammo, you'll never miss any game.

Stape likes this.
  6. Stape

Stape

I can't remember the last time I used factory rolled fodder aside from rimfire or skeet loads. Been reading through all my manuals on the reloading data, seems to be very versatile and well supported.

7. PatMcD

PatMcD NES Member

Of you need any brass, let me know.

Stape and Cur like this.
  8. 308rifleman

308rifleman

Down the rabbit hole, somewhere in Paradise.
    Decent round, but factory ammo in the US tends to be a bit underpowered due to the large number of older rifles out there. If you want the perfect combination of power, accuracy, availability and economy, along with a short-action chambering, stick with .308 Winchester. It will handle just about all of your hunting and general-shooting needs.

9. Stape

Stape

While true, the whole point of this rifle is that its something different. 308's and 30-06's are like going through life only enjoying vanilla or chocolate ice cream.

KMM696 and shootymacshootface like this.
  10. 308rifleman

308rifleman

Down the rabbit hole, somewhere in Paradise.
    If you have a trusted dealer, explain to him or her that you are looking for a rifle in that caliber. If they run into one, ask them to call you so you can check it out. Ideally, it will be a Mauser 98 action sporterized with a custom barrel. It will, in all likelihood, be used. Check the headspace, barrel and overall condition before purchase. Get a reloading handbook and experiment with handloads until you find the load that performs the best in your particular rifle. I stay solely with .223 and .308 in my rifles simply because I do not have the time, patience or spare cash to get involved in handloading.

11. shootymacshootface

The recoil impulse of a 7mm is way different than that of a 30cal. Even with a 7mm rem mag.

12. shootymacshootface

Also, you can easily form 7x57 brass from 30-06 cases.

13. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Not sure what is your point. 7mm Rem Mag in a lightweight rifle hurts like F. I can shoot a 7 BR pistol with one hand.

14. Stape

Stape

I'm set on the exact rifle I'd like. A Ruger No1 RSI.

15. RIFLEMAN1000

RIFLEMAN1000

Great Round took many deer and bear with it , It will handle any game in North America.
    Look up a Big Game Hunter named Karamojo Bell . Took Elephants with 7x57 .

16. shootymacshootface

I'm pretty sure that Bell is the guy who actually dissected several elephants to see exactly where the brain was. With that knowledge and exact shot placement he became the famous elephant hunter.

17. KMM696

KMM696 NES Member

I've been thinking about a #1 for a while, as well. Interesting rifles, and a great variety of calibers over the years. I'm not sure I'd get the RSI, but out of the calibers they chambered that in, I'd pick the 7x57 as well. If they'd ever done them in 6.5x55, it'd be my first choice.

ETA: Poked around on Gunbroker, and they did make RSIs in 6.5x55. I'd go for that because I already reload 6.5mm - but there's a 280 Ackley in the project line already, so I could do 7x57 too.

that's it, I need two. or three

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  18. northny

northny NES Member

Between Cabelas and Harvard Sportsmen’s Club
    7 x 57 pleasant cartridge to shoot. I had Ruger #1 in that and in 257 Roberts.

The only down side ( having a left handed son) neither one was a strait stock. Both had offset for right handed shooter. Don’t be fooled that it is a great setup for southpaw. That combined with a trigger that was only ok, but there was not much to be done for it then. (30 years ago)

But a nice to carry, fast to get to shoulder rifle.

19. CA139

CA139

Honestly I can't tell much of a difference between most centerfire "high power" cartridges be it 243, 270, 308, 30 06, 6.5, 30 40, even 30 30 though the 150 grain rounds are a little softer shooting. Close my eyes I cannot tell the difference.

If you want something different get a rifle that is different to you. If OP feels the No.1 is 'different' by all means enjoy but around here in New England it's almost impossible to shoot far enough that any of these rounds will perform any differently from each other which is why I prefer 308 because you can get very cheap steel cased and 7.62 NATO rounds for target shooting instead of $1,50 to 2,00 a round for specialty cartridges like "Spanish Mauser".

And no, with reloading you don't really save any money when you factor in time as well as the expense of the components. Count how long it takes to cook up 100 rounds, see how much money could have made by you working your day job that same amount of time, and add the cost of the components you reloaded to get the true cost. That's how much reloading truly cost you and unless you're on a fixed income with lots of time on your hands or earning close to minimum wage, it ain't cheap at all.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  20. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

very true, if you have the time to make more money its easier to make money and buy ammo. IF your home not making money and watching 3plus hours of crap on TV reloading might not "save" you money but you can load exactly what you want when you want it.

Stape likes this.
  21. CA139

CA139

The other thing with reloading is the liability. All the local ranges thankfully have never experienced someone getting shot. But there are more than a few stories afoot about people getting hurt or killed by someone with handloaded ammo who blew up their gun with it.

I like the fact that if your (reasonably) well maintained gun gets someone gets hurt and you are doing everything factory original whilst following all laws and rules the lawyers go after the deeper pocket of the "factory original". Start rolling your own and you forfeit that protection.

22. Stape

Stape

Reloading (to me anyway) isn't all about saving money. It reminds me of the adage "You don't save any money, you just shoot a whole lot more" Its a hobby unto itself as much as shooting, or collecting firearms. It's not having to go to a store and hope your favorite brand/load is in stock and available, and it means I can find what my rifle likes best to perform its best.

For plinking, I cast for many calibers, and that reduces the cost of plinking considerably. Even buying premium componants, I still come out ahead as opposed to buying factory ammo. Sure I figure in my time, I could be working, but who the hell wants to work all the time? Same reason I do a lot of my own home and auto repairs. I can afford for someone to do them, but I'd rather spend my Saturday cranking out ammo or doing my brakes instead of being at work, so I can pay someone to do them.

shootymacshootface likes this.
  23. frenchman

frenchman NES Member

My dad left me several hunting guns. Among them was a Merkel drilling with a 7x57 rifle barrel. I killed boars and deer with it. It's a fine caliber, and I'm sure it's sufficient for moose and elk as well. It is a very popular hunting caliber in Germany and France, close in popularity to the .308. They can't all be wrong over there.

Stape likes this.
  24. shootymacshootface

Someone who puts a dollar figure on their time spent reloading is not a true hobbyist, or they lack the confidence and skill to actually produce better than factory ammo.

Sorry, now back to the topic.
    I have chronographed (7x57) 110gr bullets at 3400fps. This was a varmint load that I developed just for running deer shoots. I also had another favorite load for 150yd steel plate shoots. That load was with a 150gr bullet and it really whacked the plate. The 7x57 always amazed me by how hard it hit with so little recoil.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Stape likes this.
  25. Stape

Stape

Great info, THANKS! Thats what I hear the most, is that its a hard hitting round without the perceived recoil. Reading about the round, I came across stories of "Karamojo" Bell. He was a Scottish adventurer who had killed thousands of elephants with the 7x57, it was his preferred rifle for all of Africa. Not saying I'm shooting elephant or anything of the sort, but a thousand pachyderms getting laid down certainly lends credence to the rounds effectiveness. Now, in the case of Mr. Bell, it was noted that he was a superb marksman and dissected the elephants heads and had perfected the angle of his shot from behind and quartering away from the elephant into the skulls thinnest area for an optimal brain shot.

Anyways, I'm certain it will be a great round for me, I appreciate all of the useful info.

26. Qwikdraw45

Qwikdraw45 NES Member

Just don't try to use it on Democrats. They don't have any brains.

Stape likes this.
  27. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

I've got several No. 1s but none for 7x57. My dad was a big fan of the 7mm Mauser and there is plenty of ink on the subject of its hunting capability in the older publications. A true classic hunting round.

Stape likes this.
  28. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

I'm just going to leave this here:

Stape and Fritz the Cat like this.