Anyone have experience using a laser with a pocket semi auto?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I was looking for some accessories for my Keltec P3AT and ran across a laser pointer from Crimson Trace that is real interesting. It's this model.

lg430.jpg

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Products/KelTec/LG430/tabid/299/Default.aspx

I've been doing some research and so far I'm seeing some positive reviews. Does anyone have one of these pointers for this pocket Semi Auto or on any pocket semi auto? If so, how do you like it?

I recently installed the armalaser on my P3AT and I like it. It was a bitch to get adjusted, but one its set its fine. It even came with a pocket holster saving me a couple bucks and the trouble of finding one. It mounts on the gun by replacing a pin in the gun and screwing it on with two screws into a replacement pin. Its mounted very solidly.

Once I set it up I had no trouble putting decent 3 shot groups on a 7 yard target firing as quickly as my limited abilities allow. To turn it on you sort of flick your finger in the trigger guard and the touch sensor lights it up. There is an on/off switch for long term storage. The holster they include has a piece of elastic that blocks the laser from being seen should it come on inside your pocket.

For $120 I would say it well worth it, however it is NOT as sleek as the one made by CT.

I've got one on my P3at Keltec and it was just about on the money out of the box. Took about 5 minutes to install and adds zero to the weight and comfort of the pistol in my pocket. It is as slick as any laser could possibly be. I've had it on for about 3 months, now, and the batteries are still going strong, too.

The laser on these little pocket pistols is a fantastic addition for a few reaons.

1) They allow you to align the pistol on your target from ANY position you hold the pistol in. That allows you to put the muzzle on the target holding from the waist or even under a table or on the floor. There is no requirement that you hold in the traditional method to sight along the barrel. That right there is quite an asset. For a carry piece where you may be in a situation that doesn't allow a good traditional stance or where you don't have the time to set up, this could become a life-saving and welcome addition.

2) The laser doesn't make you a better shot, however. You still have to learn good trigger dicipline because pulling the trigger on these pocket rockets is not for the faint of heart. They are all DAO and have a very heavy pull and that tends to pull you off target. Still, by putting the dot on your target, you can learn good trigger dicipline which will make you more accurate eventually. It is easier than trying to site down those non-existant sights on these models.

3) The biggest thing about a laser is the intimidation factor that they bring to the table. There is a DVD that you can get with your laser that talks about that feature. If there is a red dot on the badguys chest, chances are they will think twice about the size of the pistol pointed at them. This is not a small, insignificant issue, either. That laser dot is very bright and a badguy will most certainly think twice about continuing his attack with it on them. And, if he doesn't, then you're most probably going to hit center mass anyway. At least you can see where the bullet is supposed to go but that gets back to #2. Learn to practice with the laser, relying on it more than using the sights. Let's face it, these little pistols are instinctive shooters anyway so the laser give you the confidence that you're on target, especially at nominal ranges.

Hope that helps a bit. I love mine and another buddy just bought the same unit for his Ruger which is a clone of the Keltec. It also helps with dry fire practice in my office when I'm bored [rolleyes]

Rome

Thanks guys for the information. Sounds like all positives so far. Quick question for you. I read one review that loved the laser but indicated that the trigger was to sensitive and kept activating and draining the battery in his pocket. It didn't list what pocket holder he was using. Right now I have an Uncle Mike's holster and it doesn't look like it hits where the trigger is, so I'm hoping it will be good.

Anyone else notice that issue? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for yours and where did you get it?

I have the Crimson Trace one on my P32, and I love it. With being such a small gun, accuracy past 25ft. was an issue. I got mine from Opticsplanet.com, cheaper than Crimson Trace had it advertised on their website, with free shipping. I think it was $179.99 or close to it. Check them out, I think I saw they were running a special for free shipping and free batteris for life with purchase.
I use a Nemesis pocket holster and it doesn't touch a bit. I also have a Kydex holster for it, and it doesn't seem to be a problem at all. Great addition to the gun. I'm debating getting another one for my PF9. Only minor issue I've seen is batteries do drain after about 4 hours of constant "on" use, and they are a bit tough and expensive to replace
($9.99 each- SOME Radio Shack's have them in stock).

I have been contemplating one as well but I haven't yet been able to justify to myself spending $180 on a sight for a gun that costs $240.
I have yet to fire any gun with a laser though and most of the people I know who have them say that once they used one they wanted it on all their guns so one might still be in my future. At least they are a hell of a lot less then the ones for revolvers.

I put a laser on the rail of my Sigma to try and off set the trigger pull.....That beam shook like I was an alcoholic after not drinking for two days

With continued practice it will improve your trigger pull. But, on a tiny pistol like these there's always going to be a wiggle in the beam as you pull through that long trigger under a lot of load. But, in reality, if you're shooting at, say less than 30', that wiggle will be a lot less than, say 50' which is beyond the practical limit of such a tiny gun. And, a red dot on a bad guy's chest is pretty daunting.

If you are certified instructor, Crimson Trace offers a substantial discount if you order directly from them. You're allowed two units at the discount, too.

Rome

To turn it on you sort of flick your finger in the trigger guard and the touch sensor lights it up. There is an on/off switch for long term storage. The holster they include has a piece of elastic that blocks the laser from being seen should it come on inside your pocket.

Gun Safety, gun safety, gun safety.

You don't ever want to be flicking your finger in or around the trigger guard when using a pistol for self defense. Trigger discipline is utterly important in the heat of a confrontation or an anticipated confrontation. Keep your finger on the slide where it belongs and find another laser that allows you to operate the pistol safely and properly.

One of the worst things you can do is add a device to a handgun that requires you to squeeze it in a manner similar to the way that you would squeeze a trigger. When it's dark, your nervous, your adrenaline is going a million miles an hour, you just woke up, the last thing you want to do is complicate matters even more. And what a horrible thing it would be for you to squeeze the wrong finger while your gun was unknowingly, or very momentarily pointed in an unsafe direction.

May none of you who like to attach these unnecessary gizmos to your defensive weapons ever make this mistake. Nevermind the fact that it puts you at the tactical disadvantage of giving your position away, and that using sights or just a front sight is faster in CQB anyway. IMO lasers are best saved for a fun day at the range, and don't belong on a pocket or home defense pistol.

Last edited:
Wouldn't really say it's a piece of crap handgun. Very popular and the one I got seems to function just fine. Not something I'd take to the range every day to shoot, but a very functional CCW.

Overall I've decided to try the Crimson Trace laser and ordered it last night from Optics Planet. Free shipping and one free battery a year for as long as you own the site.

Back
Top Bottom