Anyone have any experience with Kel-Tec SU16 (.223/5.56)

After reading the review I'm thinking I need one. Anyone have any experience with it?
I generally don't like rifles - what I like about this one is that it folds up nice and discreetly, and seems pretty simple.
The forend splits open to act as a bipod, and you can stash 2 10 rd (or 1 30 rd)mags in the stock. I'm thinking if the quality is ok it would make a good survival rifle.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/kel-tec-su16ca-ideal-complient-pack-gun/
View attachment 129080

Last edited:
It's an ideal truck gun. I think they have one model with a thicker barrel, but I don't remember which one that is. Just don't expect sub MOA.

It's an ideal truck gun. I think they have one model with a thicker barrel, but I don't remember which one that is. Just don't expect sub MOA.

^this

it's a stash-gun....not range gun. i have toyed with acquiring one many times, but every time i get it into my hands it just feels like a POS so i convince myself out of it.

BTW there are different models, one of them has a longer barrel which i've heard make the accuracy that much worse as the barrel heats up and also makes it not-so-compact. there's one model with a threaded barrel which looks nice (CA model perhaps?)....and before people here shit a brick no it's no an AW just cuz it has a threaded barrel since that's only 1 evil feature.

i suggest you hold one before you buy it....just so you are aware of exactly how it feels before you get disappointed.

I don't have that model but what I can say about Keltec from my experiences with my sub2000 is that the gun is reliable and a blast to shoot. The guns are unique and ideal for backpacking SHTF because of the weight & folding capabilities. Keltec's customer support is great; they stand by their products. Like frenchman said don't expect sub MOA.

I bought an SU-16C from a guy on here. It's a fun little gun.

Fit and finish is OK and it's fairly reliable but it's not something I'd trust my life with.

(Also see [thread=44997]the ancient thread[/thread] and youtube.)

I bought an SU16-A from a guy on here, am still in the market for a SU16-CA. Both A & CA models will not fire in the folded position, and ship with 10 round magazines. It is very light and compact,

If you don't trust the built-in bipod you can just ignore it, or replace it.

I bought an SU-16C from a guy on here. It's a fun little gun.

Fit and finish is OK and it's fairly reliable but it's not something I'd trust my life with.

Do you say you wouldn't trust it because it feels cheap, or did you have problems with it?
I'm afraid I might never trust it just because it feels cheap. I owned a SUB 2000 briefly, never had any trouble with it but sold it pretty quick.

I have the SU-16C also, this is the thicker barrel model, threaded at the end, have put about 300 rounds through it. NO problems accept for the following, one thing I don't like are the 10 round plastic mags that come with the gun, I have had feed problems with the plastic based Mags. Stick with metal mags, and I've had no feeding problems.

I agree the rifle is great for a "truck gun" or general urban defense at close range. Very light and concealable to a degree. have a single point sling on it and the optional carry handle, works great.

I feel it was worth what I paid for it.

Do you say you wouldn't trust it because it feels cheap, or did you have problems with it?
I'm afraid I might never trust it just because it feels cheap. I owned a SUB 2000 briefly, never had any trouble with it but sold it pretty quick.

There's really nothing wrong with it, just better options out there like a good solid AR.

I also own a SUB-2000 and I do like it, it's just that both the -16 and the -2000 are Kel-Tecs and they are what they are: Fun to mess around with but not something to depend on.

I've been looking at the SU 16. At first I couldn't tell what the differences were between 16A B C CA and D.

Wikipedia did a good job explaining what the hell the differences are. You want the C as the B had a lighter barrel.

You're probably going to also want a Blackhawk Diversion Bag for it :D

su16inracquetbag-zps67c86598_10919542.jpg

18-1867-IMG1.jpg

Last edited:
It's a Kel-Tec, and Kel-Tecs are not known for quality and dependability. For me, that right there is the primary concern. I have fondled and shot a SUB2000. The fit and finish are below average and do not inspire confidence. Coolness yes, but not confidence.

But it does occupy an interesting niche because of the fold-ability. Do I like it? Yes. Is it worth the price? Yes, in my opinion. Would I choose it over one of my mutt ARs? No. Would I choose it over one of my higher grade ARs if I had the choice? No way. But it's a hell of a lot better than nothing, and its features might make it accessible and available when another rifle was not. Buy it if you already have something of higher quality, but if not then get something better and put the KT on your Christmas list, and watch out for that reciprocating charging handle. MHO.

I have the SU16CA model. It is fun and balances well and is really light. I wrapped a mouse pad around the stock, held with velcro cable ties, because the recoil is a little sharp on my cheek otherwise, what with the hard plastic stock, and light weight of the thing.

It doesn't seem flimsy, but it is certainly using a minimum amount of material in its frame. Being light weight it could make sense to keep in a vehicle I guess or take on a hike in some out of the way locations.

Can you do that in MA?

Gray area at best. At the very least it is not a semi-automatic rifle with the stock folded (can fire a single shot, but action is incapable of cycling), but with the stock unfolded it IS a semi-automatic rifle with a folding stock, but really its a folding action. As far as I know the Keltec Sub2000s were allowed under the federal AWB. I wouldn't be at all concerned about it, but it would also be going on my preban rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQwnxvyRxRQ

Mike

Gray area at best. At the very least it is not a semi-automatic rifle with the stock folded (can fire a single shot, but action is incapable of cycling), but with the stock unfolded it IS a semi-automatic rifle with a folding stock, but really its a folding action. As far as I know the Keltec Sub2000s were allowed under the federal AWB. I wouldn't be at all concerned about it, but it would also be going on my preban rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQwnxvyRxRQ

Mike

The reason Sub 2ks fly under the radar is that there is no way for it to operate AT ALL when folded. The barrel is what folds away so there is no way to fire a round even if you manually chamber it while folded. Because of this, I agree with you on using a pre-ban lower for an AR that folds.

I'm with Max, he nailed it.... I wanted one, finally found one at my local dealers.. as soon as I picked it up .... I wanted to put it down. But I hung in there and played for a minute or 2 before knowing, I wanted no part of this one.. I'll take another SU2000..... but not this one.. Heck... I'll take a Hi-Point carbine in a blink over an SU-16..

I never tried to make it out to be the highest quality .223/5.56 rifle out there. I like it because it's novel and it's cheap.

Same thing with the sub2000, you can buy cool stuff from redlion precision for it, and I'm hoping redlion precision makes cool aftermarket addons for the SU16 as well.

Oh well what do you know.. they already do. [wink]

http://www.redlionprecision.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1819

I've never had a problem with my SU16-CA, I trust it to function reliably, if anything, as a long-stroke piston gun, I trust it more than I trust a regular AR15.

Sure, I wouldn't want it as my only rifle for home defense (that's why I have a Tavor), but when I have to choose between no rifle and the Kel-Tec, I am glad to have the option.

I held one of the SU2000's today. It seems heavier and more substantial than I thought it would. Don't know how it shoots, but having one with same mags as pistol would be great. The locking on fold and unfold is pretty solid.

Last edited:
I've seen UNH's shooting team use them at basically youth-level USPSA-style matches. Not something that appealed to me.

The mags are not great, just use standard AR mags. Both of mine have been 100% reliable. I don't use the built in bipod. 2 SU16s and 3 sub2000s, I can't remember a single failure on any. They don't feel any less flimsy than a Glock.

I have had the SU16-C for over 4 years now with a single point sling set up. Shoot it fairly regularly and have had no malfunctions. I do clean it on occasion. Great truck gun or backpack. I only use regular AR mags.

My SU-16A has been flawless and a lot of fun to shoot. Being able to use AR mags is a real plus. Also, I have had no problems using the built-in bi-pod. My Sub 2000 has also been 100% reliable.

Back
Top Bottom