Anyone have any Baseball Card Knowledge ?

BTSDOG

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Had to take a break from reloading and rebuilding my wet tumbler. Father in Law was into baseball cards when he was healthier. Asked me if i could research these for him. I know nothing about cards, so im putting these up to see if any of you guys have any card knowledge......All but the last four are enclosed in plastic, and any that have round price stickers on them, the stickers are on the outside of the plastic.......Thanks.....

bbc1-f.jpgbbc1-b.jpgbbc2-f.jpgbbc2-b.jpgbbc3-f.jpgbbc3-b.jpgbbc4-f.jpgbbc4-b.jpgbbc5-f.jpgbbc5-b.jpg

67ray

NES Member
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
I had more than 600 cards, many of those pictured. Tried to sell them and was offered a couple dollars each for some of them, no one wanted to buy them all. Card collectors hunt for specifics only - they are like firearms collectors. In the end I sold them all on CL for ~$30, was happy to give them to a father & son they meant absolutely nothing to me.

FormerlyIndifferent

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look like many that I have from the early 1980s. I don't know anything about collectability or value (of your father in law's or of my own), but I do know that his collection reminds me of "mine", and thus brought me a brief moment of return to my "carefree yesterdays", this morning. Thank you.

cams

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
From what I hear lately sports card collectibles and comic books just aren’t bringing in anywhere near what they used to unless it’s a very rare item and you find the right collector that needs it.

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Anyone have any Baseball Card Knowledge ?
The gum was good...

yogi

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Unfortunately cards are getting little to nothing from vendors. I have all the cards you pictured as I was a big collector in the 70's and 80's. I talked to a large dealer about a year ago and he told me unless I have something from the very early baseball days he was a hard pass. He had enough inventory of everything else to last him a decade of selling. I was going to post the entire set on here in the classifieds but it's not worth it. I have all the Red Sox sorted and went through and took out all the hall of famers. Good luck!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The Yastrzemski cards that get the most coin are the '60s era cards, his Rookie card can get $10k. Other mid '60s cards of his are getting in the $200 range in good condition. Unfortunatly '80s baseball cards are usually worthless. Your signed Dave Stewart is probably the most valuable in that lot.

BigTimber

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Unfortunately cards are getting little to nothing from vendors. I have all the cards you pictured as I was a big collector in the 70's and 80's. I talked to a large dealer about a year ago and he told me unless I have something from the very early baseball days he was a hard pass. He had enough inventory of everything else to last him a decade of selling. I was going to post the entire set on here in the classifieds but it's not worth it. I have all the Red Sox sorted and went through and took out all the hall of famers. Good luck!
This. Modern cards aren’t worth dick mostly. Way too many made post 70s and everyone has unopened boxes in their moms basement.

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
What is cool about the newer cards is you can get some that have game-worn uniform swatches of the players...

1586109355970.png1586109249637.png

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I bought a box of baseball cards back in the day from Herman's Sporting Goods in Boston way back in the day. Supposedly it has a Michael Jordan Card from that brief period when he was on the White Sox. Never opened the box so I have no clue who or what is in there.

Igotid

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Does he have a 1989 Billy Ripkin card?
I have at least one, maybe 2FFs. I also feel like I have many of those others as well. I’m not interested in selling, but when I want an idea of what a card is worth I look it up on eBay.

anyone swept up in the 80’s baseball card frenzy might find this interesting

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a ton of baseball cards that are 40-50 years old from when I was a kid. No clue if the collection is worth $20 or $2000.

gonna guess $20.

Last edited:

TZCHRIS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
last year in AZ at Goodwill, I hit the jackpot (I thought) full box sets from the 80's, untouched in the box for $6 a set. I told my wife, these guys are crazy, they dont know what they have! We have to buy them all! I did, then I lugged them around with us for the next year (in RV) couldnt give them away for firewood? I just donated them back to goodwill:confused:

When you google the prices for some cards its amazing, you think you have gold! then try to sell them:(

NickLeduc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Most of those are from the era of when the cards started blowing up so everyone has them. So not much value. Also not protected, so every small bend/scratch makes it less desirable. I would say you would spend more time trying to get $ for them than your time is worth.

About 6 months ago, I gave 40k cards to a friends son. I contemplated keeping like 500 of the ones that brought me the most joy when I was a kid (Jordan, Bird, Griffey Jr., Nolan Ryan) but I decided against it. My friend said his kid sits there sorting them night after night. I can't tell you how many times I did the same thing.
Hopefully he keeps them and somehow makes a million from them in 60 years. I got my money's worth out of them.
I have at least one, maybe 2FFs. I also feel like I have many of those others as well. I’m not interested in selling, but when I want an idea of what a card is worth I look it up on eBay.

anyone swept up in the 80’s baseball card frenzy might find this interesting

The documentary was very good. It would have been a little better if he stayed focused on the cards. I could have done without the family drama.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
is that the whole collection?

i was toying with the idea of doing a karma and putting up 6 boxes of 1500 cards each of commons. thought better of it and i use them for air pistol targets and fireplace starters. i was a collector for 15 years but lost interest. i did focus on 2 guys specifically, ryne sandberg and vinnie castilla, and negro league cards when i could find 'em. condition, condition, condition unless ultra rare.

ProGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Recognize a few of those. I still have most of mine from early 80s. Also a bunch from my my dad, mostly late 50s. Just a shame I handled those old cards alot 35-40 years ago. They should be in better condition than they are now...some good ones, too. Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, etc.

BTSDOG

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
is that the whole collection?

i was toying with the idea of doing a karma and putting up 6 boxes of 1500 cards each of commons. thought better of it and i use them for air pistol targets and fireplace starters. i was a collector for 15 years but lost interest. i did focus on 2 guys specifically, ryne sandberg and vinnie castilla, and negro league cards when i could find 'em. condition, condition, condition unless ultra rare.
My fatherinlaw has a shitload of cards, but mostly from the 70's and 80's like these. I know theyre not worth anything these days and i dont beleve he has any really desirable ones. And im not gonna spend any time looking through all of them. Like someone said, theyre worth about as much as beanie babies....

Top Bottom