Anyone have advice on a CMP order question?

Sent my first-ever order for RM1Special grade. CMP Anniston received order packet, Friday Jan 24th. My CC got hit yesterday and they shipped it as well (Yesterday) Received it today @ 10:25 hours Fedex FTF. This rifle is the most BEAUTIFUL firearm I have bought. Springfield Ser# 1,665,xxx makes it born in June of 1943. Looks like it came out of the armory yesterday, not 76+ years ago. Twenty-six days from order received and rifle delivered. God Bless America and the CMP!
NICE, we expect a full range report ASAP

FYI my Special Grade shipped. Looks to be an October 1941 Springfield. No word on the Service Grade though - order received by CMP 1/10 - I requested a Springfield with GI wood, for what that’s worth.

Specials all come with new manufacture stocks so you won't see GI wood on it when it arrives.

Specials all come with new manufacture stocks so you won't see GI wood on it when it arrives.
He's talking about the Service Grade when he says Springfield and GI wood.
BTW this is a major reason to go to the store, you can pick what you want. And if there isn't one on the rack they may just take a look out back for you.

He's talking about the Service Grade when he says Springfield and GI wood.
BTW this is a major reason to go to the store, you can pick what you want. And if there isn't one on the rack they may just take a look out back for you.

oh I see, he's talking about 2 different rifle orders. I did the same thing when I ordered my SG, requested WW2 s/n & GI wood and got both.

So while @boiler_eng is waiting for his rifle to show up, I have a little (extremely F$&king long) story to keep him entertained...and I went to the store to pick mine out.

Story goes...exactly two weeks ago, I was at the store for opening. I was there looking for two things and I found them both...as it turns out, not everything has a price.

A Winchester M1917 stock (I was looking for one ON an existing rifle, as previously mentioned) was the furthest one on the rack (last one i looked at). They make it easy on us with the M1917's because the stocks are marked at the very end with either a W, an R, or an E...or rearsenal marks (which there was one of those there too that I had never actually seen in person). Anywhoooo...The Winchester stock just so happened to be on a Winchester rifle...score one for the trip. Handed it to the man behind the counter and he told me it was the first Winny he'd seen in months, so I guess I lucked out. The rifle had damn near every part I needed to correct my other Winny (with a gorgeous original barrel that shoots fist size groups at 100yds), and all the rest of it was serviceable enough to build a second rifle from the spares (both rifles headspace very similarly and are both excellent shooters). So now I have one 'correct' and one rearsenal M1917. I've since decided it's probably unfair for me to have two Winny 1917's and I got what I really wanted out of the deal (period correct bolt and stock for my other rifle), so i've listed the parts rifle on the CMP forum for a trade with someone who might have an M1917 with a fresh criterion barrel on it that I can use in matches, and not have to worry about my now 'correct' Winny. It literally took 3 rifles over 2 years to make the one I'm keeping, so it's definitely been a well deserved end product. I'll still shoot the 'correct' rifle, but probably wouldn't feel very good about traveling with it to matches all over the place...in its current state, it's probably worth quite a bit (but i'll never sell it...ever).

Anyway...on to my sob story. I started looking around again and picking through the Garands, but didn't really see much of what I was looking for. Ready to call it quits and just accept my one prize for the day, I looked at one last hang tag and it was EXACTLY what I've been looking for...a Win13 with an original barrel still screwed on, and a Winchester stock to boot. The other mix of parts were mostly SA, but I've been collecting parts for my OTHER Win13 I found at the store 3 years ago (and the last major part I had left to source was a barrel). Well, I carried my happy ass up to the counter again and handed it to the armorer...picked out a bayonet and told him to close my tab for the day. About a half hour goes by and the lady calls my name to come up and go over my paperwork...everything checked out, except she couldn't find the Win13's serial number in the system. 'Is it ok if we ship it to you once we get this straightened out?'...YES Ma'am...AND that added a bonus of me not having to explain TWO rifle cases to my future wife when she picked me up after my shopping spree. I confirmed my new Indiana shipping address and she typed it into the computer and I went to poke around a little more while the i's were dotted and t's crossed. A little while passed again and I got called up to the GTFO room up front of the store...checked out my M1917 and serial number and boxed it up and out the door I went.

And I lived happily ever after...The End...

...not quite. Two days pass and Monday about 11am I get a phone call from Anniston...I guess I need to PAY for my Win13! Sweet as pie Sharon is on the other end and sounds like she's about to cry. "I'm so sorry Mr. Williams, but we sold your rifle to another gentleman on Friday...no one has any idea how it got back out on the floor."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Knowing that I was probably dealing with one of the legit nicest people I've ever met in my life on the other end of the phone, I tried to calmly explain my situation and why that rifle was basically going to help get me out of the >$2500 hole I dug myself with the first Win13 purchase 3 years ago and all the ridiculously expensive parts I've bought since then to 'correct' it. "Well, I can ask to see if we have any others like it and get back to you if that's OK?"

Did I have a choice? Yes. I could have just told her to forget it...taken my M1917 prize to the bank and still won the CMP South Store lottery for the day...BUT NO, I agreed to have her have someone that I've never met find me something comparable to a rifle I've literally searched through hundreds of since 3 years ago to find. Sure...what could go wrong? Almost anything!?!?

The very next day I get a call around the same time and my best friend sweet Sharon is on the other end and claims that they have found me a rifle that met my description and allegedly even had better muzzle/throat readings...excellent. Gave my CC information and confirmed my new address again and within minutes my phone dinged me that my CC was charged $1045.00...what the actual fu&%...I didn't even get to pick the damn rifle out and they still charged me sales tax like I had purchased it in store. At this point...whatever...I wasn't going to bitch about $95 when I had already spent almost $2000 this trip...because she'd probably have to run it up the flag pole and yadda yadda....i'd probably be waiting longer than @boiler_eng to get my damn rifle. Well a couple of hours pass and no email with shipping info...a couple more hours pass and no email with shipping info...a whole day passes and no email with shipping info. Time to take matters into my own hands and sign into the eStore to see what the hell is going on. Login...check my invoice history and THERE IT IS...RM1WRAS M1 Garand WRA Service Grade Serial #: 16049XX...within the first 5000 Win13's made (for those of you not in the know, these were 'over run' serial numbers from Springfield made from Jan-Jun 1945). COOL! Look at the bottom of the page and there's a tracking number! YAY! Click the link to FedEx and...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Location: West Boylston, MA - Unable to deliver shipment, returned to shipper

@%()*& (%@#%&( @@($*& !#@&^!@$)% )$*)($*^T$ $*&!@#$(*&%0 )*

I watched it go ALLLLLLLL the way back to Anniston via ground shipping and I made another phone call. "Hi Sharon...it's me."

"I am so sorry Mr. Williams, I have NO idea how that happened...we updated your address and confirmed it twice, didn't we?"

...Yes...Yes we did.

Fast forward to yesterday...apparently it took all week for my rifle to make it from 'return shipping' to 'outgoing shipments' at the CMP and I got a call from a brassy sounding gentleman that my rifle was ready to ship back out.

me: 'oh, excellent! so i'll have it tomorrow?'

him: 'no, we'll ship it Monday and you'll have it Tuesday'....oh well that's just friggen awesome. seriously...thanks for putting the mustard on it and making sure you still have a happy customer.

...i'm not bitter.

Now I'm sitting here like a crack head waiting for this damn thing that's been on a round trip up and down the eastern seaboard and paid 10% sales tax for that I don't even know if it's any bit as nice as the one I picked out in the store and I've had to wait 2 friggen weeks for even though I traveled 1000 miles to go to the store and spent over $100 in gas so I could pick a rifle out and TAKE IT HOME WITH ME! This hobby just got a little more expensive.

@boiler_eng ...I'm out. You can have all the Garands, lol.

I've decided that if this Win13 DOES indeed come with a nice barrel, i'm swapping over the ridiculous amount of money I've spent in parts to correct the other one onto the new one...and selling them BOTH. One will sell as a 'corrected' Win13 (and I'll use the money on my upcoming service rifle project for NRA High Power), and the other as a Winchester service grade (plus tax) and that's it.

After that, I'll still have one 'corrected' H&R, one 'corrected' IHC, one flawless Winchester Service Grade that was an untouched '64 Anniston armory rebuild with all LIKE NEW Springfield replacement parts, and lastly my WWII serial # Springfield Armory 'Guinea Built' spaghetti slinger with the Kreiger pipe and the meatball tune kit. I don't need any more than that. I'm NOT a collector, though pretending to be one for a few years was kinda fun...I'm 100% a shooter...and like @dw617 said last week, you really can only shoot one at a time.

@Mountain, please officially accept my resignation as a wannabee Garand collector. We talked about this on the ride home from Pembroke last year when I picked up my Kreiger...and it took 6 months for this to all sink in.

@mac1911, this is all your fault for convincing me to order my first CMP Garand!

So while @boiler_eng is waiting for his rifle to show up, I have a little (extremely F$&king long) story to keep him entertained...and I went to the store to pick mine out.

Story goes...exactly two weeks ago, I was at the store for opening. I was there looking for two things and I found them both...as it turns out, not everything has a price.

A Winchester M1917 stock (I was looking for one ON an existing rifle, as previously mentioned) was the furthest one on the rack (last one i looked at). They make it easy on us with the M1917's because the stocks are marked at the very end with either a W, an R, or an E...or rearsenal marks (which there was one of those there too that I had never actually seen in person). Anywhoooo...The Winchester stock just so happened to be on a Winchester rifle...score one for the trip. Handed it to the man behind the counter and he told me it was the first Winny he'd seen in months, so I guess I lucked out. The rifle had damn near every part I needed to correct my other Winny (with a gorgeous original barrel that shoots fist size groups at 100yds), and all the rest of it was serviceable enough to build a second rifle from the spares (both rifles headspace very similarly and are both excellent shooters). So now I have one 'correct' and one rearsenal M1917. I've since decided it's probably unfair for me to have two Winny 1917's and I got what I really wanted out of the deal (period correct bolt and stock for my other rifle), so i've listed the parts rifle on the CMP forum for a trade with someone who might have an M1917 with a fresh criterion barrel on it that I can use in matches, and not have to worry about my now 'correct' Winny. It literally took 3 rifles over 2 years to make the one I'm keeping, so it's definitely been a well deserved end product. I'll still shoot the 'correct' rifle, but probably wouldn't feel very good about traveling with it to matches all over the place...in its current state, it's probably worth quite a bit (but i'll never sell it...ever).

Anyway...on to my sob story. I started looking around again and picking through the Garands, but didn't really see much of what I was looking for. Ready to call it quits and just accept my one prize for the day, I looked at one last hang tag and it was EXACTLY what I've been looking for...a Win13 with an original barrel still screwed on, and a Winchester stock to boot. The other mix of parts were mostly SA, but I've been collecting parts for my OTHER Win13 I found at the store 3 years ago (and the last major part I had left to source was a barrel). Well, I carried my happy ass up to the counter again and handed it to the armorer...picked out a bayonet and told him to close my tab for the day. About a half hour goes by and the lady calls my name to come up and go over my paperwork...everything checked out, except she couldn't find the Win13's serial number in the system. 'Is it ok if we ship it to you once we get this straightened out?'...YES Ma'am...AND that added a bonus of me not having to explain TWO rifle cases to my future wife when she picked me up after my shopping spree. I confirmed my new Indiana shipping address and she typed it into the computer and I went to poke around a little more while the i's were dotted and t's crossed. A little while passed again and I got called up to the GTFO room up front of the store...checked out my M1917 and serial number and boxed it up and out the door I went.

...not quite. Two days pass and Monday about 11am I get a phone call from Anniston...I guess I need to PAY for my Win13! Sweet as pie Sharon is on the other end and sounds like she's about to cry. "I'm so sorry Mr. Williams, but we sold your rifle to another gentleman on Friday...no one has any idea how it got back out on the floor."

Knowing that I was probably dealing with one of the legit nicest people I've ever met in my life on the other end of the phone, I tried to calmly explain my situation and why that rifle was basically going to help get me out of the >$2500 hole I dug myself with the first Win13 purchase 3 years ago and all the ridiculously expensive parts I've bought since then to 'correct' it. "Well, I can ask to see if we have any others like it and get back to you if that's OK?"

Did I have a choice? Yes. I could have just told her to forget it...taken my M1917 prize to the bank and still won the CMP South Store lottery for the day...BUT NO, I agreed to have her have someone that I've never met find me something comparable to a rifle I've literally searched through hundreds of since 3 years ago to find. Sure...what could go wrong? Almost anything!?!?

The very next day I get a call around the same time and my best friend sweet Sharon is on the other end and claims that they have found me a rifle that met my description and allegedly even had better muzzle/throat readings...excellent. Gave my CC information and confirmed my new address again and within minutes my phone dinged me that my CC was charged $1045.00...what the actual fu&%...I didn't even get to pick the damn rifle out and they still charged me sales tax like I had purchased it in store. At this point...whatever...I wasn't going to bitch about $95 when I had already spent almost $2000 this trip...because she'd probably have to run it up the flag pole and yadda yadda....i'd probably be waiting longer than @boiler_eng to get my damn rifle. Well a couple of hours pass and no email with shipping info...a couple more hours pass and no email with shipping info...a whole day passes and no email with shipping info. Time to take matters into my own hands and sign into the eStore to see what the hell is going on. Login...check my invoice history and THERE IT IS...RM1WRAS M1 Garand WRA Service Grade Serial #: 16049XX...within the first 5000 Win13's made (for those of you not in the know, these were 'over run' serial numbers from Springfield made from Jan-Jun 1945). COOL! Look at the bottom of the page and there's a tracking number! YAY! Click the link to FedEx and...

I watched it go ALLLLLLLL the way back to Anniston via ground shipping and I made another phone call. "Hi Sharon...it's me."

"I am so sorry Mr. Williams, I have NO idea how that happened...we updated your address and confirmed it twice, didn't we?"

...Yes...Yes we did.

Fast forward to yesterday...apparently it took all week for my rifle to make it from 'return shipping' to 'outgoing shipments' at the CMP and I got a call from a brassy sounding gentleman that my rifle was ready to ship back out.

him: 'no, we'll ship it Monday and you'll have it Tuesday'....oh well that's just friggen awesome. seriously...thanks for putting the mustard on it and making sure you still have a happy customer.

...i'm not bitter.

Now I'm sitting here like a crack head waiting for this damn thing that's been on a round trip up and down the eastern seaboard and paid 10% sales tax for that I don't even know if it's any bit as nice as the one I picked out in the store and I've had to wait 2 friggen weeks for even though I traveled 1000 miles to go to the store and spent over $100 in gas so I could pick a rifle out and TAKE IT HOME WITH ME! This hobby just got a little more expensive.

I've decided that if this Win13 DOES indeed come with a nice barrel, i'm swapping over the ridiculous amount of money I've spent in parts to correct the other one onto the new one...and selling them BOTH. One will sell as a 'corrected' Win13 (and I'll use the money on my upcoming service rifle project for NRA High Power), and the other as a Winchester service grade (plus tax) and that's it.

After that, I'll still have one 'corrected' H&R, one 'corrected' IHC, one flawless Winchester Service Grade that was an untouched '64 Anniston armory rebuild with all LIKE NEW Springfield replacement parts, and lastly my WWII serial # Springfield Armory 'Guinea Built' spaghetti slinger with the Kreiger pipe and the meatball tune kit. I don't need any more than that. I'm NOT a collector, though pretending to be one for a few years was kinda fun...I'm 100% a shooter...and like @dw617 said last week, you really can only shoot one at a time.

@Mountain, please officially accept my resignation as a wannabee Garand collector. We talked about this on the ride home from Pembroke last year when I picked up my Kreiger...and it took 6 months for this to all sink in.

@mac1911, this is all your fault for convincing me to order my first CMP Garand!

Now that I have it in the CMP system just pretending to ignore I ever sent the order untill my card gets charged.

Have other projects to work on and wouldn't be able to hit the range untill a nice weekend with free time anyway.

Hmmm...

Win13 with original barrel. Should we watch for it on CMP auction? ;) Or posted on CMP forums by one of the store rats? I truly hope the replacement they found covers what you need. Something smells funny about that one, however.

You know where I stand on collecting. I like it but mostly live vicariously through others who are deeply into the collecting. For Garands, I'm down to the Spaghetti Special and the National Match clone I built. I would like one more decent shooter so that I'm not always shooting the Spaghetti Special. Kinda like a HRA 'because Worcester' and have a lead on one with an LMR barrel. If that doesn't work out maybe I'll try for a CMP HRA SG with decent barrel and simply apply all the tricks the Italian Stallion taught me.

Still have the 1903 National Match. Considered selling to fund a 03A3 build plus a vintage sniper project, but I think I want to shoot it in the Roosevelt match at Perry. With the NM I have scored within 5 points of the current record and good for 3rd 2019 and 2nd 2018. Never happen at nationals but a guy can dream!

...Yes...Yes we did.

...i'm not bitter.

Yeah , yeah , pretty sure i said buy a SG , ron brown sling and 5000 rounds of ammo then shut up and shoot..

Yeah , yeah , pretty sure i said buy a SG , ron brown sling and 5000 rounds of ammo then shut up and shoot..

Yeah, and @76Too 's attention span ran out after you said 'ammo'. [rofl]

@76Too , glad you are still having fun with these old war horses. I have work that might take me near the South Store and am tempted to pick something up, but I need to check on status of that local HRA which would become my 'practice rifle'.

Yeah, and @76Too 's attention span ran out after you said 'ammo'. [rofl]

@76Too , glad you are still having fun with these old war horses. I have work that might take me near the South Store and am tempted to pick something up, but I need to check on status of that local HRA which would become my 'practice rifle'.

Exactly the reason I’m keeping the Anniston Winny...it’s a new rifle with a wwII serial and all brand new parts from 1964...so basically a special grade. I’ve been shooting the Krieger a LOT already and MAN is that thing sweet!

I have an ‘excuse’ for each rifle I have...

allegedly I was conceived in Springfield...I was born in Worcester and lived less than a mile from the old H&R factory site for my teenage years and my grandpa used to work there after the war...my marine corps unit of eight years was in New Haven about 2 miles down the bay...and now I live near(ish) to Evansville, IN where they made the tractor guns. A tale of four cities...It’s almost like I’ve been on a Grand Garand tour throughout my life.

I have now flipped to hoping it DON'T see an email from the CMP in the next few days. Not looking for it to arrive while I am out of town. Would have to *gasp* make sure my wife has the combo to the safe and have her put it away.

I have now flipped to hoping it DON'T see an email from the CMP in the next few days. Not looking for it to arrive while I am out of town. Would have to *gasp* make sure my wife has the combo to the safe and have her put it away.
You can call or mail CMP and give them this information , I had them delay shipping on 1 rifle and a few cases of ammo.

Or even still have anyone you trust just hang out at your house to be there

You can call or mail CMP and give them this information , I had them delay shipping on 1 rifle and a few cases of ammo.

Or even still have anyone you trust just hang out at your house to be there

Oh I trust my wife, and I am only out for a couple days. She was going to be the one signing for it anyway. Just trying to tempt fate and get something from the CMP this week. :)

Will let you know if it works. Given people on the CMP forum posting about not having heard anything on their orders that were in front of mine, fairly safe guess I will not miss out on anything.

Oh I trust my wife, and I am only out for a couple days. She was going to be the one signing for it anyway. Just trying to tempt fate and get something from the CMP this week. :)

Will let you know if it works. Given people on the CMP forum posting about not having heard anything on their orders that were in front of mine, fairly safe guess I will not miss out on anything.

LOL. Hey, a trigger lock will keep you legal and her out of the safe. [smile] Actually, the Garand has such a nice, convenient lock-able safety...

LOL. Hey, a trigger lock will keep you legal and her out of the safe. [smile] Actually, the Garand has such a nice, convenient lock-able safety...

Heh, I dug out a trigger lock over the weekend JIC. Also, nothing in the safe she shouldn't reasonably know about. Just didn't want to have to write the combo down and leave it somewhere.

Really hoping it ships just in time for me to drive home from the airport and meet Fedex on my way in the door. That would be convenient! Otherwise I can wait anyway.

Actually I have the same concern at my place- wife doesn't remember the combo and I don't want it written down. If she needs papers that are in there she always has to call me. If I croak they will have to call Geraldo to open it.

Geraldo-Rivera-e1414378929872.png

Actually I have the same concern at my place- wife doesn't remember the combo and I don't want it written down. If she needs papers that are in there she always has to call me. If I croak they will have to call Geraldo to open it.

Do you know if you can throw a lock on the hard case that it ships with? Was considering telling the wife to trigger lock it then throw a padlock on the case also. Obviously trigger lock is the legal mechanism but doesn't hurt to double lock it.

Don't have a gun built for you, you'd be panicking for months [laugh]

Meh, at this point I am not that concerned. I have an order number and it will eventually come, was mostly concerned when I could convince myself the mail could have just never delivered my paperwork.

Would prefer if I knew an estimate of when they will get to charging and shipping but no promise or offer of that was given when I was ordering so not surprised or dissapointed.

Do you know if you can throw a lock on the hard case that it ships with? Was considering telling the wife to trigger lock it then throw a padlock on the case also. Obviously trigger lock is the legal mechanism but doesn't hurt to double lock it.

Wouldn't hurt, as long as you use the trigger lock. Within Mass, I'll sometimes do both so that I'm legal for transport and storage.

I had CMP do a trigger job and something else (can't remember what) to a Special that I ordered. Once the rifle was ready to ship, the visit to their custom shop was actually pretty short.

I had CMP do a trigger job and something else (can't remember what) to a Special that I ordered. Once the rifle was ready to ship, the visit to their custom shop was actually pretty short.

I wasn't referring to the CMP specifically, just speaking in general. Some gun builds can take years to complete, like a Shiloh Sharps.

Hopefully they find cooler stuff than he did...

i might be wrong but my FIL retired Postal said if the shipping box remained sealed you would be all set?

I think you may be right. However, I know for a fact that there are cops in some towns (like mine) who would get wood over the chance to bust a citizen over a minor storage infraction. Someone needs an ambulance, cops show up first, and 'what do we have here?'. It happened to someone I know very well.

I won't step anywhere near any grey areas over these wonderful MGL's and don't really recommend others to take risks. I think (just guessing) that shipping box storage is AOK day of delivery but after that?

I think you may be right. However, I know for a fact that there are cops in some towns (like mine) who would get wood over the chance to bust a citizen over a minor storage infraction. Someone needs an ambulance, cops show up first, and 'what do we have here?'. It happened to someone I know very well.

I won't step anywhere near any grey areas over these wonderful MGL's and don't really recommend others to take risks. I think (just guessing) that shipping box storage is AOK day of delivery but after that?
Current CPM cases are a lot better than they used to be. Every bit as good a case you could buy and you can padlock them. So just leave an open padlock at home and it can be slapped on when the gun arrives.
1582632445704.png

Current CPM cases are a lot better than they used to be. Every bit as good a case you could buy and you can padlock them. So just leave an open padlock at home and it can be slapped on when the gun arrives.
View attachment 334115

Just curious how old those are? Not that I have bought anything in a couple years, but last ones I received were desert tan in color. They were better in quality than the green ones.

Also, locked case is OK for transport, not storage in a Mass home. IANAL but trigger lock or safe / secure container is necessary. Plastic case doesn't cut it, or so I have been advised many times.

Back
Top Bottom