Anyone have advice on a CMP order question?

I won the "Carbine Lottery" in February of '16 and got a nice Quality Hardware...wish I still had it.

t
Oh that's right. You scored one as well. You convinced me not to sell the Winchester from the CMP and to sell the Inland I previously had.

I will or deny that I’m from south of the Mason-Dixon Line and stuttered a bit as a kid.

I was out in the PNW at the end of last year and I was warned 3 times about a specific woman being "tough".

Cut to after I meet with her and I tell everyone "you could have just told me she was from Jersey"

Apparently I did a good enough job of hiding being a pushy new Englander that they didn't know entire swaths of people just are that way normally.

In your opinion which is better to prioritize, a 1903 or a 1917?

Ok well I had CMP plus a reasonably close scribble of their address on my envelope so that is good. [smile]
I like a shooter so the better sites on the 1917 would get me. But as you may recall I got both, BECAUSE I couldn't decide. And I would have gotten an A3 as well if they had any. They do occasionally have them in the store, just not when I was there. I'm still looking for one, need to complete the set, kind of want it to have all the CMP paperwork.

In your opinion which is better to prioritize, a 1903 or a 1917?

Ok well I had CMP plus a reasonably close scribble of their address on my envelope so that is good. [smile]
prioritize for shooting or "collecting"
I acquire based on shooting
The 1917 does not fit me well.
1903 if put in a C stock is nice. The sights are a bit to far away but still good.
1903a3 in a C stock with and rear sight in good condition and add the .100" wide front blade is probably the best sight set up.

Garands....yeah know not the best fitting gun for me and will need a wider blade if my eyes keep drifting but I really like the heft of the M1 the sights are darn near fool proof and mechanically its a very interesting machine.

prioritize for shooting or "collecting"
I acquire based on shooting
The 1917 does not fit me well.
1903 if put in a C stock is nice. The sights are a bit to far away but still good.
1903a3 in a C stock with and rear sight in good condition and add the .100" wide front blade is probably the best sight set up.

Garands....yeah know not the best fitting gun for me and will need a wider blade if my eyes keep drifting but I really like the heft of the M1 the sights are darn near fool proof and mechanically its a very interesting machine.
+1 on the 1917 not fitting well for shooting. Seemed awkward and clunky to me. Trigger not as good as the 1903 either, at least the one I had. Sold a nice one for collecting because it wasn't the appropriate rifle for CMP competition. Some do great with the 1917.

+1 on the 1917 not fitting well for shooting. Seemed awkward and clunky to me. Trigger not as good as the 1903 either, at least the one I had. Sold a nice one for collecting because it wasn't the appropriate rifle for CMP competition. Some do great with the 1917.

Good to know.

What are good places to look for these rifles, short of driving to the CMP store and seeing what they have?

03's and 03A3's are hit and miss. Sometimes one will pop up in the NES classifieds. Occasionally some will pop up at a LGS, especially larger ones like KTP or Shooters Outpost. Cabelas in Berlin and the one up in Maine will occasionally get one.

I will likely have a work trip in the near future that will bring me relatively close to the South Store. I'm thinking about checking it out for an '03.

Good to know.

What are good places to look for these rifles, short of driving to the CMP store and seeing what they have?
I bought my A3 from a guy on the CMP forums. Got a nice Remington for like $850 shipped if I recall? That was in 2015-2016

Good to know.

cmp forums are a good start, gun broker is hit or miss. Im not sure if Kittery list the "old guns" on their website.
Many years ago my dad called the corner where the "military guns" where the army's junk or "surplus".

I have no idea what a good price is on 1917s these days. When I was looking at them 12 yrs ago or so I though $500 was to high

I also like guns like this, not cmp legal but I bet this thing shoots well

Last edited:
If the problem is that big, it is up to them to have an alternative stream of supplying the frequently requested information.

If they just had a page that they said what day they were processing I would have called 0 times. They have their locations and hours on the phone menu before you get to the routing tree, for the same type of reason.

I am spending my time complaining on here rather than calling them, because I realize repeatedly calling them is not going to make it go any faster.
they used to have something like that it was the "Orest" basically the same as mentioned " hurry up and wait"

I mail all my ordered with USPS flat rate envelope. Depending on CC rewards or deals I will use a CC or check. They deposit your checks quickly so you can see that action on your bank statement.

CMP holds onto "we do it it our way"

I didn’t care for the M17 either; trigger was about 1 inch too far forward for me. The M17 DA revolver is sweet, however.
t

Last edited:

Pros and cons for both,

1903 -
pros - A3 config has a superior sight system; can fit a C stock; bolt cock on open; wide front sight blade options available
cons - rifle is too light, imo

1917 -
pros - longer sight radius; a little heavier than the 03
cons - cock on close, takes some getting used to for rapids; ladder sight sucks, can't wear a hat either; battle sight can used for 200 yard if the proper front sight height is used, this is very helpful; rear aperture is huge, but can be filled in.

Just got today for a 1/10/20 order. You should be up soon.

momma said people out East would be pushy, but damn...

View attachment 330117

Got similar email today, so its a moo point about when to follow up if I don't hear anything. :)

giphy.gif

Got similar email today, so its a moo point about when to follow up if I don't hear anything. :)

giphy.gif
My last M1 I ordered I was hoping for the 3+ month delay as I had a few emergency charges on the CC that I had to tap into my “fun” money for.
Sure as shit 8 days after sending order CMP sent me a rifle. Took some juggling and fast sales of junk around the house but found the cash to pay off the emergency charges and rifle before I got the bill.
Now if I can get 3 more referals on my CC I will have enough cash rewards for another M1 from the cmp

My last M1 I ordered I was hoping for the 3+ month delay as I had a few emergency charges on the CC that I had to tap into my “fun” money for.
Sure as shit 8 days after sending order CMP sent me a rifle. Took some juggling and fast sales of junk around the house but found the cash to pay off the emergency charges and rifle before I got the bill.
Now if I can get 3 more referals on my CC I will have enough cash rewards for another M1 from the cmp

I took a risk sending in the order before I got the cash from my bonus, however the check cleared already and have not seen the charge from CMP on my card yet so in the clear for me.

I took a risk sending in the order before I got the cash from my bonus, however the check cleared already and have not seen the charge from CMP on my card yet so in the clear for me.
if I can get 3 more referal bonus on my CC i can order a free M1!

FYI my Special Grade shipped. Looks to be an October 1941 Springfield. No word on the Service Grade though - order received by CMP 1/10 - I requested a Springfield with GI wood, for what that’s worth.

Good to know, I have not heard a peep since I got my email last week. Pivoted to thinking about something else (3d printer), which is now arriving Friday, and so I am sure I will get a notification that my CMP order is shipping immediately after I get on a plane to travel for work.

Given that I am 11 days behind you on the order receipt timeline I should be happy if I hear something by early March I guess.

Sent my first-ever order for RM1Special grade. CMP Anniston received order packet, Friday Jan 24th. My CC got hit yesterday and they shipped it as well (Yesterday) Received it today @ 10:25 hours Fedex FTF. This rifle is the most BEAUTIFUL firearm I have bought. Springfield Ser# 1,665,xxx makes it born in June of 1943. Looks like it came out of the armory yesterday, not 76+ years ago. Twenty-six days from order received and rifle delivered. God Bless America and the CMP!

Back
Top Bottom