1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a Sleep Number mattress?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Rockrivr1, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Rockrivr1

Rockrivr1 NES Member

In the never ending saga of finding new stuff for the new house we are now looking at a new king sized mattress. We've tried all the major brands at several different stores and are still not certain. Last place we looked was at Jordan's where we went through the whole analysis to narrow down our choices. The guy took us to one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever laid down on. That was going to be the one. It was a solid latex mattress and damn was it comfortable. That is until he showed us the $6K price tag. Yeah, no. We'll keep looking

Last night we tried a Sleep Number Mattress. A Performance P6 model and it was pretty comfortable. It will take some time to get our different numbers right, but seeing we haven't agreed on anything else yet I'm thinking this might be what we try.

Was wondering if anyone slept on one and what your overall take was on the mattress. Was it good at first and then crap later, been great the whole time, sucked the whole time, etc'?

Thanks.

2. richc

richc NES Member

We were due for a mattress and bought this king sized one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CT37LA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was on sale for $460, about $100 less than the current price, and that included delivery. Damn it is comfortable! It is a bit on the hard side, as some say in the reviews, and does retain more body heat that a regular style mattress, but sleep has improved greatly. Neither the hardness nor heat retention have been an issue for us.

It does have a chemical odor for a week or so but that dissipates quickly. We left the windows open to air out the room.

My thinking was... at that price, if it starts to sag or fall apart in five years, well, who cares? I'll throw it away and buy a new one.

I've bought a number of new mattresses for the kids like this one and they love them too.

3. Greschner 4

Greschner 4

Just a little fyi .. unless your mattress is completely shot, purchasing a top of the line mattress cover ($150) can do wonders to an existing setup.

4. dpaquette79

dpaquette79

No sleep number experience, but I thought I would throw you my .02¢

We have a king size Firm "Celestial" Bobopedic, and it is amazing, at first memory foam takes time to get used to, but once you are, it is great. They are warrantied for 20 yrs I believe.

5. SteelShooter

SteelShooter NES Member

I've had one for about 20 years, the same one, since they first came out. I like it because I can adjust it depending on how I feel and it always feels like a mattress and not an air bed.

6. Laderbuilt

Laderbuilt NES Member

The wife and I have a sleep number. We both absolutely love it. She likes a super soft bed. I like my bed to be firm/hard. This bed allows that. Honestly I couldn't be happier with it.

Nite we did have two minor issues with it. My wife destroyed to foam edge on her side when she would sit on it for long periods of time while breast feeding. The way the warranty is set up. (Bed was five years old ). Cost is a 20$ bill and that have us all new foam. Last year we broke the remote out fault. Cost is 20-30$ for a replacement.

I love how I can dismantle the mattress for a deep cleaning if needed.

7. Greg

Greg

You can get a solid latex mattress for a LOT less than $6k.

I got a king sized natural latex mattress consisting of 3"talalay and 6"dunlop latex with a 1" organic bamboo topper for around $2.5k delivered.Also got some shredded latex pillows,needless to say I sleep well :) The 20 year guarantee is prorated after after 10 years,which is a really good.Compare that to a box spring,foam or the Sleep Number air mattress.

Don't buy at any local stores,I did shop around and what they were selling was a hybrid synthetic/natural latex(Sleepys,Jordans,Bob's etc).It isn't because the hybrid latex is better,it's because it is cheaper to produce.Ironically enough,these hybrid latex mattresses were like you said $4k-$6K.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  8. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

Heavenly Bed from Westin. It's really good and half what you were quoted on the one in the store.

9. MaynardDad

MaynardDad

Don't rush into a SleepNumber bed. They are junk, and overpriced junk at that. I wish we hadn't bought ours. Their innovation is all in marketing. The product looks and feel great in the store, but once you get it home you realize that it's just a plastic pallet that barely fits together with a leaky air mattress on top.

10. SteelShooter

SteelShooter NES Member

I've had the same mattress for 20 years, have not even had to replace the remote controls. Maybe their quality has gone down.

11. 7.62x39

7.62x39 NES Member

I bought a latex mattress from Jordans (nature rest) it is awesome but IIRC I only paid @$2800. This was a few years ago and it is a queen not a king, but still only half the money.

That said, I travel to the Caribbean every February and try to stay at a Riu palace resort whenever possible. They use sleep number mattresses. So I have spent 8-10 nights on one on a regular basis. I have always slept well on them.

12. richc

richc NES Member

A warning on mattress warranties. There are weasel clauses in the warranties. We learned that the hard way with Jordan's Furniture and a Nature's Rest mattress.

First, they outsource the mattress evaluation. I presume so they don't have to be the bad guys. They sent this gangsta looking character whose job it was to find a way not to provide warranty coverage. He was unfriendly and all his communications made it clear he didn't care about the customer.

First they measure the sag in the mattress. They claimed our sag was not enough by 1/8". HUH? You can seriously tell the difference in 1/8" on a foam mattress that is clearly got a giant dip in the middle. I could lift up the fabric on the mattress about 6" above the actual foam.

The second weasel clause is staining. There was a very mild stain from some wine. It was not large and had mostly been cleaned up. Yes, visible, but not a big deal, and certainly not having anything to do with the major sagging in the middle. But that minor stain voids the warranty as well. I'm dead serious.

So I called Jordan's and they said our mattress fell outside vendor warranty guidelines. I called the mattress company and they said it was a problem with the way Jordan's manages the warranty. They both pointed fingers at one another.

Lesson learned... don't buy a mattress from Jordan's Furniture expecting warranty coverage. They will find a way to weasel out of it. I really expected more from them.

And because of this I just won't buy furniture from them again. The Nature's Rest mattress cost us close to $3K and they nickel and dime you for their own profit's sake.

Rich

1 person likes this.
  13. ColdDayInHell

ColdDayInHell

You start like 30 threads a day. Just go search mattress reviews. LOL.

Sealy pillow top here, it's bomb. I've been sick lately and spending a lot of time being lazy in bed. I think it's about 5 years old and still soft.

14. Rockrivr1

Rockrivr1 NES Member

I'm single handily keeping the forum alive!!!! [smile]

Actually I've done a ton of research but for every 100 good posts there are 100 bad posts for just about every mattress ever invented. Wanted to get some first hand experience to see what people think.

15. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout

We have a sleep number mattress. It's comfy. We've had it for 3 years. No complaints.

16. PatMcD

PatMcD NES Member

Same here. I was tired of paying anywhere from $350 to $1200 for a regular mattress only to have it wear out in 4 years.
    Sleepnumber beds are air: you can't wear out air.

17. Paul455

Paul455 NES Member

No better mattress than Gardner mattress. They use all natural materials too.

18. Lignum Vitea

Lignum Vitea

Have had ours for over 12 years & it's still going strong, takes a pounding.[grin]
    Would buy an other, very easy to move. I keep my side @ 90-100 due to my back pain issues the wife @ 45-50 because she is just a softy.

2 people like this.
  19. Danb3387

Danb3387

I have that. I love it. I like a firm mattress. I'll never buy another type. I've had it for over 8 years and there is no sag.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  20. slippyfox

slippyfox

Have a sleepnumber. Had it about 5 years, works really well? But my side seems to be loosing a bit of air, I have to turn the pressure down, then back up about once every two weeks. Gotta call them.

Something to be aware of, and this might be different on newer ones, is it holds heat. Great in the winter, but I'm pretty warm blooded, so in the summer I tend to have to compensate for that.

Overall we love it.

21. MAGG

MAGG NES Member

do these sleep number beds have a third setting for the middle of the bed when it comes time to " baby making time" [laugh]

22. SteelShooter

SteelShooter NES Member

just pump up both sides to 95 and you're ready to rock and roll! Actually, I can barely notice the middle.

23. Boris

Boris Son of Kalashnikov NES Member

Have one, had to replace inflatable top due to leak, that,s 200+ and the pump contraption doesn,t hold air too well. Just buy a ****ing inflatable bed with fancy covers. The whole "technology" are bullshit words for overpriced product and brand name.

24. Loosh

Loosh NES Member

My wife and I got a king sized Sleep Number with the pillow top cover at the end of 2005. It showed up in about seven boxes, which made getting the parts upstairs a lot easier. Assembly was pretty easy for one person with simple tools. The max setting makes it solid enough to stand on to hang curtains and borders. It's nice to be able to adjust slightly for bad back days. The one quirk I've found that takes some getting used to is that if one of you has a much lower setting than the other, it's possible to roll "downhill" into the softer side. When we got ours, a king was set up with two twin platforms underneath, so there are half a dozen legs underneath the center and three on each side.

25. Duxprep

Duxprep NES Member

I've had one for nearly 20 years. Great bed. The pillow top eventually will lose some loft which may lead to one side being higher depending on inflation levels. Were set to very different levels so we do have a bump in the middle but it doesn't bother me. We got the top of the line which had a thick pillow top , memory foam and two other layers of foam. You'd never know it was an air bed

26. Another_David

Another_David

I've been researching mattresses and haven't made my purchase yet but at this point I think Gardner is the place to go.

http://www.gardnermattress.com/

Mattress are typically still made (or assembled) locally because they're too bulky to ship internationally or even cross country. Gardner makes them in Salem, MA and has showrooms in Wayland and Newton.

Least expensive latex, also made locally, but I haven't tried yet, seems to be Spindle:

http://www.spindlemattress.com/

and if you want to read endless information on mattresses: http://www.themattressunderground.com/mattresses/five-steps-to-your-perfect-mattress.html

27. xtry51

xtry51

I slept on a sleep number once at a nice high end hotel.

One night. That's it.

Know what I did next? Cancelled the rest of my stay at that hotel and went somewhere else. Sleep number beds suck. I can't believe they rape people over the coals for those pieces of crap.

28. xtry51

xtry51

No, and seriously its a huge issue if you actually like sleeping next to someone. The middle of the bed is completely useless and unsleepable. This is exactly the reason I left the hotel we were at and went somewhere else. That bed is worse than useless unless you're one step away from a divorce.

29. Thunderbird

Thunderbird

I've owned two sleep numbers. I ended up throwing the last one in a dumpster. They're garbage, and the warranty is a sham. After a couple of years they both leaked, and under the BS warranty, it was expensive to fix them. I finally shelled out for a Tempurpedic and I love it.

30. RickMac

RickMac

Not a sleep number but if you loved the latex you can do it cheap by getting a cheap ultra firm regular mattress and adding 3" of latex on top. I was skeptical when my wife did if but damn comfortable.