• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone have a Ruger 44 carbine?

SKS Ray

NES Member
Anyone have one of these carbines?

68a1bf9e4fab948b1d17c13f7a5b.jpg

Not sure what it is but I always wanted one. I know its just a 4 round rotary mag but having a Mini 14, and PC4, I'm hooked on the the design and function of the of the rifle itself. The earlier models had a side ejection port and solid receiver top, but the later ones look more like the M1 design that I like.

I'm just wondering about the reliability of the early models.

Last edited:
I have one of the early models, internal tube fed, side cocking and ejection.
It's a nice little brush gun.
I stoke it with some really hot handloaded 350 grain Hornady XTP's for deer hunting, stuff I would never put through a revolver.
It gobbles them up and spits them out without a hiccup.

Saw one at KTP this past weekend. Serial number under 65,000 so it was manufactured pre-1963 - yup, C&R qualified.

They had it priced at $625 which is a little steep, but it was a solid-looking gun.

I have one of the early models, internal tube fed, side cocking and ejection.
It's a nice little brush gun.
I stoke it with some really hot handloaded 350 grain Hornady XTP's for deer hunting, stuff I would never put through a revolver.
It gobbles them up and spits them out without a hiccup.

Add me to the list of those with an old model (it was my wife's grandfather's). nice little gun, can't say anything about the new "mini-14" style...

I have always wanted one of these. I saw one the other day, unfired for $600. Not sure of the year. I'll get one someday.

I am pretty sure my dad had one and got rid of it before I really had any idea or say in the matter. Im kinda pissed he did now, I would love one for hunting and messing around. A friend of my parents uses one to hunt with all over Maine.

B&K in Natick had one the other day. Nice, handy rifle.

I grew up in VA and one of the local PD (Sheriffs?) had several made with suppressed barrels added. Looked like the original (not a screw on, but interegal). They used them for putting down deer and other wildlife (rural VA) that had been hit by vehicles. The officers loved them (didn't scare the "sheeple").

Wouldn't mind adding one...

Aloha

I'm actually looking for a new style "deerfield" carbine. I've hunted with the old style and they are really nice. Just figure I should have a gun named after were I live.
Oh and the lever action verison sell really fast on gunbroker.

Back
Top Bottom