Anyone have a P226 for their EDC?

I have been wanting to upgrade my EDC for a while now for something with more capacity. Currently I carry a Ruger SR9c.

I thought I had made up my mind on a Glock 19, pref. 3rd gen. That was until I shot a Sig P226 and fell in love. Since it will be my EDC it has to be brand new so I figure the Sig won't end up costing me that much more.

My only concern is the size of Sig and being able to conceal it well. I am 5-10, 185 lbs. I have a good belt and will most likely get a Crossbreed holster. I just want to hear from anyone that has or does carry one and what they liked or disliked about it. Also what holster do you use.

How hard is it to find pre ban mags for these? I will most likely go pick up the gun next week and would like to get some mags asap. If anyone knows of a source could you PM me.

I carry a P229. It takes a little more effort than some other guns if you are self-concious about printing. A P226 wouldn't be too much harder to conceal, but take a look at the P229.

Mike

I carry a P229. It takes a little more effort than some other guns if you are self-concious about printing. A P226 wouldn't be too much harder to conceal, but take a look at the P229.

Mike

Are there pre ban high cap mags for the 229 or does it just use 226 mags?

I carry my 226 in a crossbread supertuck iwb holster. I conceal it fine but i'm also 6ft and 3 bills it is a heavy pistol you will feel the weight after a while even with a good belt and a great holster like the crossbread. I recently picked up a pm9 and edc it now its a world of a diference. Pre ban 226 mags are not that easy to find and if you do find them there 50-60 bucks a mag good luck

Mike

This would be my recomendation as well. I've carried a 220 quite often, even in a T-shirt, but a 229 will fare better.

I have a P226 that was my EDC, but I just picked up a Gen 2 Glock 19 as it is easier to conceal. I will still cary my P226, but just wanted something that is a little easier, especially once spring/summer rolls around.

I use a cross breed IWB for the P226. It works with baggy shirts for me, but the handle definitely prints if I bend over. I did some experimenting, and settled on wearing it at my 3 o'clock, maybe 3:30.

I'd love to hear any tips from others on IWB carry for the P226, was actually going to start a thread on this myself. I didnt make any adjustments to the crossbreed, just used it as it came.

I'm 6 feet tall, medium build, 190lbs. Well maybe closer to 200lbs right now, but will be back down to 190 soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't carry all the time, but I was going to buy a 226 until I did a comparison with 229.
I like the rounder grip on the 229.
Also nice to know that caliber conversions are an option.

Sold my P226 - a nice 2-tone with GunPlumber aftermarket tuning. Biggest gun sale regret I ever felt...

Yeah, my G17 meets all the needs, and more (31rd Happy Sticks vs 20rd "LEO-Only Mags") but a P226 is...somehow...different.

Actually, I now carry a G19 Long-slide conversion: G17 slide with Trijicon Red Dot on G19 frame. Best of ALL worlds.

Last edited:

Mike

I carry a p229 sometimes too..it's totally doable but it is a heavy chunk of steel on your belt all day. It's one of my favorite guns...built like a brick shithouse and that single action trigger is the tits

I find the 226 just a bit too bulky for IWB carry. Once I tried the 229 the 226 went back into the safe.

These days I'll use the 229 or Glock 19 or IWB carry, or a Kahr PM9 for in pocket carry. Depends on where I'm going and what I'm wearing.

Where do you live? I have both and live in metrowest if you want to try them out.

I have carried the 229 as my EDC gun for at least 10 years. I'm 6'2" and 180 pounds and its a little hard at times to conceal but its never been an issue. I shoot IDPA with a 226 so I know the gun well, perfectly balanced in 9mm but the 229 is a little easier to carry. That said, I just bought a P9, as soon as my crossbreed comes in I'm going to see if I like the feel of a single stack.

I carry a P229. Not a bad carry gun, but I prefer my Beretta 9000s. The 229 is a little big and heavy, but hides well under a sweatshirt or the likes.

For a long time I only carried a P226 , mostly in a comp-tac IWB holster. For me it conceals very well if I'm careful about body position and how I move. Now, I mostly carry OWB and that works pretty well most of the time. However, most of the time I'm not hyper concerned about printing or otherwise showing.

If you wear that gun IWB during the summer just make sure you check it for moisture build up on the steel parts. The mag release can rust up solid very quickly if you're not careful.

I just started carrying a 229, I'm not sure why some people think it's too big. It's pretty much a perfect blend of size and weight for comfortable accurate shooting that is extremely enjoyable even in. 40. Hybrid holster and a sensible choice in cover garments and it disappears. I'm thinking about investing in a quality shoulder rig just so I can wear it at home without pants.

I have a P226 that for most of the year is my HD pistol but in the colder weather, like today, I did carry it out doing errands. Carrying full size guns is one of the few reasons left to like cold weather...

I find the 226 just a bit too bulky for IWB carry. Once I tried the 229 the 226 went back into the safe.

These days I'll use the 229 or Glock 19 or IWB carry, or a Kahr PM9 for in pocket carry. Depends on where I'm going and what I'm wearing.

Where do you live? I have both and live in metrowest if you want to try them out.

Thanks Rich, I have tried both and shoot the 226 better and I like the idea of the higher capacity pre bans for it. I guess I'm just looking for feedback from those with experience carrying it to justify the purchase over a G19. It is such a sweet gun to shoot, I don't want to spend that much and then have it sit in the safe and need to buy something else to upgrade my EDC.

I find the horsehide crossbreed supertuck to conceal a little better for me. It is a little stiffer and keeps the shape of my body molded a little better. It conceals a p226 very well for me, 6'2 and 190. When I was looking for prebans, I found someone on a random gun forum that was willing to trade his prebans for band new extra capacity mags. I ordered them to his address and he shipped his old ones to me and luckily it worked out. As others have pointed out, it is a heavy EDC gun and you'll notice it at the end of the day but it is by no means hard to do. It is my summer carry, usually with just a t-shirt (and pants).

I carry my P226 with Streamlight light/laser combo on it in a Raven Concealment holster OWB. However I won't do it in warm weather, it's too bulky so then I go with a P229 (cooler weather), P239 (warm weather), or P238 (shorts and t-shirt).

Last edited:
I carry either a P220 or P226 daily. Have been for many years. I prefer the P220 though, since I like .45. Each is carried OWB year round.

Back
Top Bottom