Anyone have a DIY method for Vice Blocks?

I'll be needing a vice block before I start my AR build, for the lower and upper. Has anyone built their own or have another proven method to aid in building an AR?

Dude, I was going down that path myself, and I just said eff it, and I bought a full set of tools. Upper block, lower block, punch set, takedown pin tools, and wrench. Got it all for under 100. Assembly, disassembly, maintenance is a snap, and you know you won't screw up any parts or finishes.
U built 4 uppers and swapped out a backplate on another AR in under an hour.

What I didn't get was a block for doing gasblocks and sights, as the uppers all had A2 style sights/blocks already installed.

If I remember correctly, I got everything from Bud's, Optics Planet, and Walmart. I waited for sales, it took some time.
Walmart website has quite a bit of stuff.

I got my wrench from fourrunner years back (ongoing group buy: https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/ongoing-group-buy-ar15-308-armorers-wrench.209260) and it's epic... I picked up the version that's good for both AR15 and AR10 builds. So got one wrench for both platforms (made more sense since I was intending to build an AR10 too, which I have).

For the AR15 upper/lower vise block set, you have plenty of options. I would invest in a GOOD set of roll pin punches though. Plus learn the trick about putting in roll pins using vise grips with tape on the jaws. Makes getting some of them in a LOT easier (bolt catch on the lower and forward assist on the upper).

I see your in Bourne? If you dead set on not buying you can borrow my set. You just have to pick it up in hanover week days.

Blocks of oak work ... Just a little warning if you buy blocks some do not fit the billet uppers.
For the cost (low) just buy the set. You really only "need" the upper vice block if your doing barrel installs. Heck you dont really want to see how me and a buddy did i first barrel swap. It involved wood and some balance.
or you can get all fancy

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6wL1S8gdp8

Last edited:
I highly doubt the wrench is as good as the one from fourrunner...

Fourrunner's wrench is excellent. I've used it a couple times since I got it on castle nuts, barrel nuts, and muzzle devices. Does the job nicely.

I don't have a lower block. I don't really see the need. I do have a bench block for hammering pins, though.

For uppers, you can't beat Giessle's reaction rod. I do need a good set of punches and roll pin holders.

My buddy made a few lower blocks out of scrap oak he had laying around. Its real handy and looks nice. I think it was a pretty easy project, its just a rectangular piece of wood with a stop to keep it from going through the magwell. I made a couple bench blocks out of old hockey pucks that have served me well. Upper block would be a lot more work to make I suppose.

For uppers, you can't beat Giessle's reaction rod.

This. That tool so worth it. Brownells had a knock off that is about half the price, but not quite as user friendly.

Building these guns with the wrong tools can be done, I have done more then a few myself, but with the right tools, it's so much better.

This. That tool so worth it. Brownells had a knock off that is about half the price, but not quite as user friendly.

Building these guns with the wrong tools can be done, I have done more then a few myself, but with the right tools, it's so much better.

Not sure of this is the one Brownells used to sell but some company named Kley-Zion makes one and Botach Tactical sells it on their EBay store.

Kley-Zion Armors Barrel Spline Socket Rod - MADE IN USA | eBay

I bought one and it's worked well for a couple of builds so far.

OP...my advice is just buy decent quality tools you'll need. Building these things is addictive. I would be amazed if you only build one.

Back
Top Bottom