• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone had any trouble carrying on a "tactical" flashlight at BDL??

dcmdon

NES Member
Hi all. Its been a while since i've flown out of BDL and was wondering if anyone has had any trouble going through security with a surefire with the crinulations around the bezel. I've specifically got one of these:
3KGG2_AS01.JPG

I've also got a plastic surefire but would rather not take it. The metal one has a 5/200 lumen output. The 5 lumen will be useful since I'll be driving someone's car back to CT.
Using a 200 lumen torch to read a map tends to ruin your night vision.

Thanks,

Don

A coworker of mine brings 12" long metal knitting needles on the plane all the time, who can figure out the rules? I'm guessing the flashlight would be hit or miss. I've never been stopped with a metal flashlight but its usually the mag lite type without serrations.

Get one without the serrations.

I think he wants it for the "tactical serrations", and is wondering if it can get through that way to have a light that doubles as a weapon. Personally, I wouldn't risk a $100 flashlight, because if some security guy decides he likes it, then you lose it. Not worth the risk inmo.

I think he wants it for the "tactical serrations", and is wondering if it can get through that way to have a light that doubles as a weapon.
If he wants to get it through security, then I stand by my recommendation that he get one without the serrations.

FWIW I fly frequently from BDL and BOS. My light is a Streamlight PT 2L and usually goes through in my bag.and have never had an issue with that or any other light.

I think he wants it for the "tactical serrations", and is wondering if it can get through that way to have a light that doubles as a weapon. Personally, I wouldn't risk a $100 flashlight, because if some security guy decides he likes it, then you lose it. Not worth the risk inmo.

I don't care about the serations. I care about the fact that it does 5 lumens/200 lumens. the 5 lumen setting is perfect for map reading.

I've taken mine through security at numerous airports dozens of times, throwing it and everything else that might set off a metal detector into my carry-on bag beforehand, without any trouble. Back around January (DCA? LIH? Damn security checks all look alike), I somehow forgot my light, setting off the metal detectors. The TSA drone wouldn't let me take it, claiming it was a weapon. (Somehow the guy in front of me with a huge version of the exact same thing on his Nikon never caught their attention.) After a lot of back and forth, I managed to get them to let me remove the lens protector, give it to them, and keep the rest of the light.

Ken

i bring mine but i take it apart and keep it different pcs in different pockets of my carry on but i know one of these times they will take it. im thinking about just putting it in a checked bag

Wait this is a good topic because i got away with it at the logan airport. I was carrying a surefire and passed the secruity check point to enter into the gate to get on the plane. They didn't take the light away from me. They saw my t shirt with a gun in the back "it says Peace through Superior firepower and the m4 with aimpoint logo on the back " but they didn't say anything. So i guess with a little flah light i think you are good to go. :D

My G2 has circumnavigated the globe with me, and my A2 (which has a crenellated bezel, just not that severe), went to Florida with me through Logan/Orlando with no problem.

I wonder if you could put one of those bezel caps on a Defender. Those caps are for holding tinted plastic to the lens that changes the color of the light. You could also wrap electrical tape on the bezel for travel.

Back
Top Bottom