Anyone got any good FTF stories?

I had one incident where the buyer showed up with his "buddy" and wanted to check the action on the gun using live rounds. Needless to say we went our separate ways rather quickly.

There are some retards and sketchy people out there for sure. I would say the majority are alright. I guess it depends on how many transfer you have done. The more you do, the more you see.

Even I had a FTF during our visit last spring [smile].
Not for a firearm for obvious reasons, but an accessory. Transaction was with a green NES'r and went smooth, along with a nice chat.
That happened in the Allora restaurant parking lot at Williams Lake/Marlborough.

I did a FTF with a State Trooper outside the VFW where his father was being honored (retiring Trooper). Hopped in his SUV and made the transfer no problem.

At this point I have done a lot of deals with people on this board. Not once was there ever even vaguely a negative experience.
There a lot of good people here. So much so that it could lead one into a false sense of security.

I just sold a pistol to a guy yesterday, we met in an empty parking lot (all the businesses were closed). We shook hands, I asked him if there was any reason why he shouldn't be buying the gun, he said no and handed me money. . .I handed him a gun, shook hands, said thanks and we went our separate ways.

Entire transaction took less than 2 minutes

Man I miss Massachusetts

I have done quite a few FTF transfers all with members of this site; at my house, in parking lots, and at the Fitchburg Gun show in the parking lot. Every transaction went smoothly and in the process got to meet some very nice people.

I have bought many firearms FTF, down here in CT. there are no forms or limits. I actually prefer to buy a used gun, has character. The weirdest one was when I bought an Rem 700 in 7mm Mag and he opened up his trunk and had a dozen other rifles. Well, at that point I was ready to bolt out of there for fear of them being stolen, but that's when he showed me his divorce papers and he had to unload them at a great price. I damn near emptied my bank account through an ATM to buy what I could, but I did all the purchases on DPS Form 3, I always use them just for purchase agreements and it will scare the illegals away( you don't have to file them). I picked up an IBM carbine and a Gewehr 43 along with a Mini14 and the Rem 700. But FTF's, I like them, you never know what else can come out of them. I just remembered another time with an older guy I bought an Winchester Carbine from in Waterford, CT., wound up walking out with a brand new Bushmaster XM15-ES, wife was pissed at him for buying it. Got a steal on it.

I sold a three pistols in the last two weeks. I'm thinning the herd a little (and making room for others!). They all went well as a couple people here already described.

Ironically the only odd experience I've had was when I met someone at an FFL. I'd never been to the store before and mapped it out online but when I got there I couldn't find it. I drove up and down the highway three times looking at numbers until I finally called the buyer who says, "you see the muffler shop? well then you're here." I pull in thinking it is behind the muffler shop. No, the FFL is the muffler shop.

I sold some stuff on Craigslist including two motorcycle helmets. These two guys came to my house to buy them and they seemed really strange--but who else would buy a used helmet. My buddy asks them what kind of bikes they have and they looked at him like it was the oddest question they ever heard, "we don't own bikes" was all they said. That was weird. I'm sure there are other uses for motorcycle helmets but these guys didn't look like the type to go out of there way for safety. Later I said to my friend 'I bet we see those helmets again--on the 5 pm news robbing a bank'. Stopped meeting people at my house after that one.

Last edited:
I've only done FTF transfers with NES'ers. And I've done more than a handful of them. Its completely legal so why worry about "scaring the sheeple"? F' em.

There is one story involving a FTF transaction between two NES'ers that occured a few years ago that resulted in an unfortunate event. No laws were broken, and everything turned out OK. But damn, that was a wee bit scary.

Ironically the only odd experience I've had was when I met someone at an FFL. I'd never been to the store before and mapped it out online but when I got there I couldn't find it. I drove up and down the highway three times looking at numbers until I finally called the buyer who says, "you see the muffler shop? well then you're here." I pull in thinking it is behind the muffler shop. No, the FFL is the muffler shop.

Hey Dave I see you went to the Shooters Box. I bought my first gun there. They guy was a nice guy. Its not where you would expect to have a gun shop at all lol. I probably would have had trouble finding it too but i went with my friend who had been there once. He had the same trouble you did though. [laugh]

I just sold a pistol to a guy yesterday, we met in an empty parking lot (all the businesses were closed). We shook hands, I asked him if there was any reason why he shouldn't be buying the gun, he said no and handed me money. . .I handed him a gun, shook hands, said thanks and we went our separate ways.

Entire transaction took less than 2 minutes

Man I miss Massachusetts

I Miss Colorado!!!!

I have done a few FTF transactions. Almost every one went great. Certainly every one with a green member went great. I had two "weird" or unpleasant experiences. On one it was the first and last time that I agreed to meet someone at the range so they could try the gun. After firing it the guy said it was a nice gun and as advertised, however, he did not like the grip angle or fit in the hand and declined to buy. I thought this was a bit unfair to take my time to try out a gun without fully informing me. I thought he just wanted to check out that it was mechanically sound. Another time I met a guy in a parking lot and he examined the gun, which was extremely clean, and then said he felt that I had not cleaned it well enough prior to the sale. He went on to say that now he would have to clean it and his time should be worth something. I called the deal off.

Those both happened quite a while ago. I have gotten better at "qualifying" a buyer prior to meeting. I had one guy, a first time NES poster, who contacted me on a Sunday morning and stated "I will take it". We exchanged phone numbers and he called immediately. He wanted to do it that day. I told him I had a prior family commitment and was headed out. He then started asking what time I was headed out, what time was I coming home, would I be somewhere in the area. He was absolutely insistent that he wanted to connect that day. I asked him why that day was so vital, and he replied that he was just very busy. I told him I would be home very late to which he responded that was OK and asked what my address was so he could be there when I got home. I called the deal off. Just did not like it.

Some of you have probably seen my "Goose's Rules" that I often put in my classified ads. The above experiences and a few others prompted the creation of those rules.

I met some NES members in a parking lot and 10 minutes before they showed up, he called saying "Ok, now don't freak out - but I'll be driving a transit police paddy wagon". lol

I've conducted a bunch of FTF transfers (both buying and selling). Sometimes it has been at my home. Sometimes at a neutral location like a gun club. And sometimes in a parking lot. Yep, I get a little weirded out with the parking lot transactions, mostly because I think non-shooters assume any gun transaction must be illegal/shady. In any case, I always assume everyone present is well armed, and I consider that a good thing. :)

Never a problem and never gave it much thought. I always liked to do it a coffee shop so we could go inside and sit down and do the paperwork.

Never a problem and never gave it much thought. I always liked to do it a coffee shop so we could go inside and sit down and do the paperwork.

I just have to ask: what shops? Do you do the exchange, examination, function test in the shop, too?[shocked]

My only FTF story is rather uneventful. Went to the range, tried the gun, went to Bugaboo Creek, filled out the paperwork during our meal, and exchanged money for the gun in the parking lot afterwards.

Actually, I just remembered another one. I met an NES'r in the Chicopee Police Station. We built up a stripped lower in the maintenance bay [laugh] I'm pretty sure some of the brass were doing a tour of the station that day too.

The last ftf, I was going to a sportsman's club, when the caretaker saw me riding around and park he came over and asked what I was doing there. I told him, and he asked who I was meeting, but all I had was a first name and that he was driving a green truck. We talked for a while (nice guy) then I saw a green truck pull in, he said oh ya I know him he shoots here all the time, enjoy, if you want you can go over to the range to shoot it.

The guy pulled up and the transaction went without a hitch! I went home with my 1911!! [smile]

The strangest (to me) was meeting someone at their place of employment.....a police department. It just weirded me out at first, but the guy is super nice and I have made another purchase off him recently. I had a similar experience, but that story I don't feel like telling on here in public.

Back
Top Bottom