• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone got any good FTF stories?

I bought three from a friend who was moving away. We filled out all the info in a Dunkin Donuts. You should have seen the look on the cashiers face when the money changed hands.

I've done three firearm transactions. Met all great people in the process.

One in a gun shop parking lot, one at S&W, and one in a Chinese Restaurant Parking lot.

Never any problems or issues.

I brought my wife and daughter to McDonalds in Seabrook to sell a rifle and for them to see how uneventful the process could be. While the buyer was inspecting the rifle a cruiser slowly drives past but doesn’t stop. I’m sure he knew what was going on as the rifle was being held when I noticed him coming around the corner. He kept on driving and we completed the deal. When I got back into the car my daughter was almost crying thinking we were all going to jail. I told her to relax, this is NH and everything we did was perfectly legal.

very timely thread, as I am planning to do my first FTF purchase from another member in the next couple of weeks. Good reading about how things go down so I know what to expect. Should I bring the FA10 forms, or is that the sellers thing?

very timely thread, as I am planning to do my first FTF purchase from another member in the next couple of weeks. Good reading about how things go down so I know what to expect. Should I bring the FA10 forms, or is that the sellers thing?

Extras never hurt anyone. One of my first FTF sales, I only brought one... and proceeded to f$@& it up. D'oh!

weirdest one i've done was in the interrogation room at my local PD. Just felt weird being in there for a good reason!
Have done one recently where the guy hopped out of my truck without paying me, and when confronted, swore up and down that he already handed me the cash.....no problem though, got straightened out.

My first two buying FTF's were dealing with Fred. The 2nd deal was for a pre-ban rifle. Fred brought two of the same and asked me to pick the one I liked. Then he offered me a discount if I took both. I took the offer and Fred asked me to mail him a check for the balance.

If you ever had the pleasure to deal with him... A complete classic gentleman.

Now that he has his FFL he's even more fun to deal with - you can drool over all the incredible firearms while you wait. Fred rules.

I would bring the FA-10 forms too. Actually since you are the buyer you have more to fill out than the seller. If you pre-fill it out it would make things go faster. I did this for my last 2 transfer and it went smoothly. The seller also had some forms though.

ALWAYS HAVE AN EXTRA FA-10!!!!!! The last thing you want to do is make a mistake and its easy to do.

All my FTF transactions were with NES folks and all took place in the Bass Pro parking lot during the day. All were nice folks and every transaction went smoothly. I'm sure we showed up on some surveillance camera, but, since we were doing nothing illegal, I was not concerned.

Rest area....check.
Gas Station...check
Purchase from LEO...check
This guy wanted to make a "bill of sale".
He wrote my name. Included that he sold it with 24 rounds. This was in case I went postal and his fingerprints were on the ammo. He really said this.
He did not get the model right or include a SN.
I drove almost two hours to meet a guy at 7am because he was too tired the night before. He had my number. Next morning I arrive at his home and he is tells me he is sorry and sold them last night.
Went to make a purchase from some old timer. He was great. We hung out in his driveway talking smack for an hour.

I have had more trouble buying or selling a car.

Thanks for being the word of common sense in this sea of confusion.

There is a pic somewhere on here of a person not wearing eye protection with their finger on the trigger,you should comment.

lol[laugh]

All of my FTFs with NESers have been great. A couple took place at my house, one at a gas station, three at my former place of business (ammo only though) but lately I've been meeting folks at MFLR since everyone knows where it is.

When I sold my AK though, I got a PM from a new member with one post asking if I would sell it to him FTF. Well, since he was a MA resident and I am in NH, and the rifle had a telescoping stock and two 30-round mags, I politely declined.

Sometimes I think the classifieds should only be available to green members.

I've done numerous FTF transactions. They all have been in parking lots or at Dunkins. One time I had to meet at a Harley Davidson bike shop, that was a little weird. All good experiences though, good people.

I believe that's how it is now but a lot of people joined just to get in on the gun raffles.

No, it's green only to sell. Obviously, sellers can profile and decide who they do or do not want to sell something to. Those who are worried about shoddy transactions should shore up their ads a bit. I've done a bunch of them here with members and nonmembers alike and have never had any problems.

-Mike

The strangest (to me) was meeting someone at their place of employment.....a police department. It just weirded me out at first,

Since I've never been in a police station for anything but good reasons, it would never phase me in the least.

One of my first FTF purchases was from a local cop who I knew. We probably did the transfer at the PD and this was 2 years before I joined the PD.

My first FTF was in a parking lot across from Great Woods. I am sitting there waiting outside of my car when all of a sudden a Police SUV comes roaring in and pulls up next to me. A cop jumps out with a ginormous German Shepherd and comes up to me, basically freaking me out.
"Hey, my dog has to take a leak, is it OK if she goes here?"
Apparently thought I worked there. Turns out the cop was doing traffic detail for a concert and the dog was going to hang out in the SUV.
The other dozen or so have been uneventful but pleasant.

The one transaction that sticks out was a NES'r from not too far from me came 50 yards over the MA/NH line to sell me 9mm ammo IIRC, back when ammo was made out of unobtanium after the last presidential election. The distance of 50 yards was the difference between being a citizen freely exercising his second amendment rights and committing a (felony?) crime.

Misdemeanor, but still a lifetime LTC DQ.

There is one story involving a FTF transaction between two NES'ers that occured a few years ago that resulted in an unfortunate event. No laws were broken, and everything turned out OK. But damn, that was a wee bit scary.

Sounds like we have a mutual friend.

I just have to ask: what shops? Do you do the exchange, examination, function test in the shop, too?[shocked]

Starbucks [wink]

I brought my wife and daughter to McDonalds in Seabrook to sell a rifle and for them to see how uneventful the process could be. While the buyer was inspecting the rifle a cruiser slowly drives past but doesn’t stop. I’m sure he knew what was going on as the rifle was being held when I noticed him coming around the corner. He kept on driving and we completed the deal. When I got back into the car my daughter was almost crying thinking we were all going to jail. I told her to relax, this is NH and everything we did was perfectly legal.

If you were residents of different states, it wasn't perfectly legal.

Done a lot of buying and selling, met nothing but nice people so far. A lot of LEO and a lot of military both active and retired. Good group of guys and gals we have on here!

Done my FTF's at gun shops. The workers there were OK with the transaction being done there even though the purchase wasn't through them.

I have dealt with Fred Lotter in Bourne, he is a great guy with some great guns, no hassle FFL transaction !!
I have dealt with Hunter's Den in Weymouth, traded in 2 guns for 1, quick/easy transaction !!

I have had 3 FTF transactions on here. Nothing but awesome people. Could not be more pleased with everyone I have met through here.

I've done numerous FTF transactions all but one was uneventful. This guy (seller) says to me after I get in his vehicle, "how do you know you I won't rip you off and take just your money?". I calmly state "because you won't be able to, I got a 9 in my pocket (my hand was in my coat pocket) and that lady next to you has a 357 ready for any problems". My wife was in our Jeep right beside him, and she was looking directly at him when he glanced to his left. At that point he laughed and said "I'm just kiddin man, here look the gun is empty". We completed the transaction and I went on my way. Talk about stupid people though..... What was he thinking making a comment like that???

Last edited:
Done a few FTFs with no issues. However I also once went to jump out of their car after completing paperwork when they, politely, reminded me that I had not paid yet. Totally embarrassed, I had forgotten that the money had not exchanged hands yet and was overeager to get home and play with the new toy.

One person here held a transaction for me for quite a while based upon both of us having to find a mutual date and spot (we were quite a ways away). That transaction sold me on the honor of people here on this board.

Here's a NON-FTF story that became a horror show.

I offered a couple of wooden boxes that CMP sends their 30-06 ammo in. A few people wanted them. But every one of them couldn't connect with me anywhere. This went on for weeks and finally I just left them at BR&P and some member scooped them up. Since everyone of these people eventually told me that they couldn't meet up with me, I did NOT neg rep (or neg iTrader) them.

But I never had such a hard time giving something away for free.

a list of my FTF trasactions....

1st- Goal parking lot in Northboro
2nd- Gun club in Hudson
3rd- Four seasons parking lot (15 feet from PD)
4th- parking lot in uxbridge across from factory
5th- Side parking lot of stop n shop
6th- solomon pond mall lot

every one was a fellow NESR and i think that ever sale I felt as comfy as the one purchase I made in a gun shop. The simple fact is I know everyone I am dealing with probably is locked and loaded and they assume the same about me so everything is always polite and courteous. "an armed society is a polite society"

Back
Top Bottom