• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone got any good FTF stories?

I just did my first FTF purchase, so I can now say I bought a gun off some guy in a parking lot. [wink] Does that ever not get weird to say?

It went very smoothly, though I definitely felt a little odd - I kept expecting a moonbat to pop up from around the corner somewhere. Anyone have any funny / weird stories from doing FTFs?

I'm not sure why people get all paranoid and weirded out by this...what your doing is 100 percent legal.

I've done a bunch of FTF transactions with NES'ers in parking lots and met nothing but great guys every time.

When the freak shows really begin is when your done with the FTF and need to walk into the store and end up winning the coverall on Wal Mart Bingo.

Last edited:
I have done more than a few now and they have all gone nothing but smooth. Everyone I met has been from this site. I just did one tonight with another board member. It was his first FTF, we actually met at his office and everything went smoothly. I know he was a little unsure being his first transfer but I know I was for mine as well. I printed out the FA-10 and already had my information pre-filled out and he filled in his info then we filled out the gun info together.

All the other transfers I have done have been in a car in a parking lot. I did do one at the police station one time but that's because the person was a police officer so we did the transfer in his office. It just happened to be in the same room they did my finger printing for my license.

I just had this convo with a friend of mine last week. He has never bought a gun FTF but I set him up with someone from this board a little while back to sell his G19. He was all nervous but everything went smoothly. I think he carried 3 guns on him plus the one he was selling. I don't know what he was thinking. [laugh] He says well what if the guy gives me a fake license or tries to hold me up which i highly doubt would happen but its possible. Just about everyone you meet is proud to have their LTC and no one wants to screw it up.

I told my friend I don't get really nervous meeting someone for a gun transfer. Now its normal, just a matter of finding a location thats convienient for both people.

This same friend sent me to Springfield, MA this past spring with a pocket full of cash to pick up a motor from some kids for his race car and I told him that one I was a little nervous with. [laugh] He didn't see a problem with that however. I didn't know who the kids were. There were more of them than myself and the person I was with. It all went smoothly in the end though.

Last edited:
I don't know why but Nicholas Cage comes to mind.[laugh]

lord_of_war.jpg

My oddest transaction was meeting an NES'r at a gas station just off I-495. We both pull up next to each other off to the side and do the transaction in a car. My only concern was the "what if someone sees us doing this and freaks out". Nothing happened and all is well.

Did another one with a NES'r on the North Shore in a Holiday Inn parking lot. My only concern there was that there were no cameras on us . . . I hate seeing myself on TV. [laugh] [wink]

folks,
whether this is 100% legal or not, the fact of the matter is that somebody out there could get freaked out and call cops or something. and if they do, the cops will have to show up and make a fuss.
best is to be cautious and low key.
all we need is one of these TV anchor wanna-bees to decide to do an expose on guns.

just be low key and courteous.

folks,
whether this is 100% legal or not, the fact of the matter is that somebody out there could get freaked out and call cops or something. and if they do, the cops will have to show up and make a fuss.
all we need is one of these TV anchor wanna-bees to decide to do an expose on guns.

Thanks for being the word of common sense in this sea of confusion.

There is a pic somewhere on here of a person not wearing eye protection with their finger on the trigger,you should comment.

I've sold guns in two parking lots, one being the parking lot of a Metrowest police department. The buyer, a lovely woman here on NES, wanted her friend, a police officer, to check over the gun. Nice folks.

The weirdest FTF I've done is in the Four Seasons parking lot. We were about 15 feet away from the Woburn Police HQ [laugh]

i've done "most" of my FTFs there because it seems to be a central location... and less than 10 min from my [smile]

other spots:

*gun store parking lots
*rest stops
*mall parking lots
*my parking lot
*Unit Armory parking lots

usual etiquette is to hop in one car or i pop the hatch on my station wagon and let them examine the goods... once they are good, we can close the box and fill out the FA 10.

no biggie, even outside the Four Seasons parking lot... [rofl] but then again, i don't act all suspect either...

what i've noticed:
1. always bring extra FA 10s
2. clip board
3. pens
4. be cool

Edit: my first FTF was with a police officer... former National Guard member. we knew a few of the same people so it went swell once i told him where i worked. [rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done one of those too. Not weird at all and it's a lot further than 15' away from their building.

Okay, I'll give you 20'.

The ZHA parking lot was a little weird too, since it's basically the middle of an industrial park. There's something very....gangsta....about selling a gun in an industrial park [laugh]

folks,

It's certainly true that one should use some tact common sense - don't brandish, for instance - but we also shouldn't be afraid to engage in these transactions.

It'd be nice if there were somewhere with a printer and a computer, to use the fillable FA-10. Future trades finalized in the Kinko's! [wink]

My first two buying FTF's were dealing with Fred. The 2nd deal was for a pre-ban rifle. Fred brought two of the same and asked me to pick the one I liked. Then he offered me a discount if I took both. I took the offer and Fred asked me to mail him a check for the balance.

If you ever had the pleasure to deal with him... A complete classic gentleman.

The weirdest FTF I've done is in the Four Seasons parking lot. We were about 15 feet away from the Woburn Police HQ [laugh]

I have done two this way. It is always one of my suggestions of both people are on the northshore. It just seems like an easy spot. Everyone on the northshore knows where it is and you'll usually find out they are heading there anyway so it just works out.

My best FTF story was buying my HK45 in the Wholefood/Marshall's parking lot in Bedford MA.

We were sitting in the car doing the paperwork and a white Dodge pickup drove buy really slowly and was looking at us. I was nervous until I saw a bit AR15 sticker on the back and realized it was Underwhere.

I also bought ammo from some guy driving a box truck and wearing a brown shirt, shorts and boots. That was odd.

It'd be nice if there were somewhere with a printer and a computer, to use the fillable FA-10. Future trades finalized in the Kinko's! [wink]

You don't need to have a printer onsite.

Basically you swap info ahead of time, double check everything, and print three copies. Then all you have to do is have each guy sign 3 forms and its done. Set up a CHSB envelope with a stamp and then the seller drops the state's copy in the most convenient blue mailbox. People sometimes think this is wonky, but the way I look at it is, if you can't trust someone up front like that, then you probably shouldn't be doing an FTF with them to begin with.

-Mike

folks,

In at least a couple of the sales I did, that "response" would have been rather amusing, since I've had buyers/sellers that were LEOs in full dress uniform... openly carrying guns. [laugh]

You really have to go full retard in order for someone to see you doing an FTF. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be discreet. As long as you're not waving a gun around in a parking lot in a big dump city, most people are going to be oblivious. Gun clubs are great FTF locations, too. It's also useful when you are on good terms with an FFL... I've done FTFs inside gun shops as well, with permission of the owner(s)... then again I got permission likely because over time I've dropped a lot of coin in those shops.

-Mike

I've done many FTF's most with members here. All went off without a hitch and all were in public places. Don't worry about it you aren't breaking any laws :)

I did have a funny one where a buddy of mine and I went to meet another member here at a gas station to trade a Knights Rail for some ammo. My buddy got all freaked out when a marked cruiser pulled in behind us until I told him that that's the guy we were here to meet :) He still thinks its odd to do arms deals with cops legal or not but oh well.

Last edited:
I think he carried 3 guns on him plus the one he was selling. I don't know what he was thinking. [laugh] He says well what if the guy gives me a fake license or tries to hold me up which i highly doubt would happen but its possible. Just about everyone you meet is proud to have their LTC and no one wants to screw it up.

I remember reading about a few shady incidents here on NES over the years, one where a guy was sending PM's offering to pay more because he didn't have a license, and another where a father son team showed up to an FTF, but neither one could come up with a license. One meorable account I read on another forum involved a felon using his own ID and a check he stole from his former employer to buy a handgun. [laugh]

Sometimes there are murderers lurking at the shooting range, armed robbers waiting for you to leave the FFL, thugs who rob and murder an FFL holder and his family, or shoot Emeilio Briel and Jose Collazo (separate incidents, were robbed of their guns/ammo/vehicles while target shooting, one died). Bad guys want guns too sometimes.

Every gun I have bought or sold in the last 3 years has been a FTF with a NES'r in a parking lot somewhere, from a stripped lower in a WalMart parking lot, to a sweet Remington shotgun in the back of a Cracker Barrel parking lot, a couple of gas stations and Dunkin Donuts in between. Never a problem or worry either.

The one transaction that sticks out was a NES'r from not too far from me came 50 yards over the MA/NH line to sell me 9mm ammo IIRC, back when ammo was made out of unobtanium after the last presidential election. The distance of 50 yards was the difference between being a citizen freely exercising his second amendment rights and committing a (felony?) crime.

Met FLOTTER in a local PD parking lot. Chief came outside and asked if I was there for coffee. Told him no just doing a gun transfer. He smiled and went back inside. Try that in Boston [devil]

I had one incident where the buyer showed up with his "buddy" and wanted to check the action on the gun using live rounds. Needless to say we went our separate ways rather quickly.

Last edited:
I'm always afraid of getting ripped off in a FTF. You never know who you're really dealing with. I have a friend cover me with a 'scoped rifle, and then if it's a rip-off, I just scratch my nose, and he'll take the guy out.

I remember one winter I had a bad cold when I was trying to sell a Garand. I went through 5 sellers before I finally got rid of it.

I'm always afraid of getting ripped off in a FTF. You never know who you're really dealing with. I have a friend cover me with a 'scoped rifle, and then if it's a rip-off, I just scratch my nose, and he'll take the guy out.

I remember one winter I had a bad cold when I was trying to sell a Garand. I went through 5 sellers before I finally got rid of it.

LOL! Great post! :)

Back
Top Bottom