Anyone good with "tor"

exojam

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Trying to find out how to run my hotmail and gmail accounts through tor if that is possible.

Did a few searches but maybe I missed it.

If anyone can point me to a link that would be great. Thanks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are trying to run hotmail and gmail accounts through tor, you do not understand what you are doing. Please put the keyboard down and walk away from the computer.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Trying to find out how to run my hotmail and gmail accounts through tor if that is possible.

if you are doing browser based mail and have a tor browser session running it should just work. If you are trying to do IMAP or POP/SMTP like with outlook or something similar I don't think you are going to be able to. A lot of the mail servers also will not let you use IMAP or POP if you are not on their network so a spoofed ip will not work anyway.
Most of the VPN, Redirection, etc sites that I have seen only do HTTP and other browser related protocols. There may be something out there that i am unaware of.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could you explain what it is you want to accomplish by doing this? I think if you did so, you would find that TOR isn't what you're looking for.

GomerPile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Go here:

https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Download the browser bundle that matches the operating system you are using. Any site you browse using that browser (which is Firefox) will use TOR. There are other ways to make ALL traffic on your machine use TOR, but this is the simplest.

Cautions:
1) If you think that using TOR keeps you safe from law enforcement...it does not
2) TOR is slow as dogshit because your packets are going thru tubes all over the planet
3) Even if you connect to hotmail using TOR the recipient of your email may not.
4) Microsoft and most mail providers are NSA lackeys that just give your email to any .gov agency that asks.
5) TOR is a big sign to the NSA that says "I'M DOING ILLEGAL SHIT WATCH ME"!
6) Everyone knows what IP's are TOR exit nodes and some services will make you jump thru hoops as a result (captchas that jesus christ himself could not decipher etc etc)

If you want private mail I suggest using startmail.com. If you want reasonably private coms you might also look at a VPN service like PROXPN (I use them).

Last edited:

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
If you've ever logged into those accounts from a non obfuscated machine, don't even bother, it's literally too late. Not sure what the point of running email over TOR etc is anyways.

-Mike

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cautions:
1) If you think that using TOR keeps you safe from law enforcement...it does not

Not necessarily.

2) TOR is slow as dogshit because your packets are going thru tubes all over the planet

yes

3) Even if you connect to hotmail using TOR the recipient of your email may not.

yes

4) Microsoft and most mail providers are NSA lackeys that just give your email to any .gov agency that asks.

using any of these services while using TOR is a great way to basically throw away all of the anonymity tor provides.

maybe.....

6) Everyone knows what IP's are TOR exit nodes and some services will make you jump thru hoops as a result (captchas that jesus christ himself could not decipher etc etc)

for the most part. but you shouldn't be using TOR to access the regular www (non onion routed sites). You should only be using it to access onion sites to get its full benefit.
most captchas run off of some kind of javascript, and you shouldn't allow any javascript to run in the browser you are using to access tor sites at all ever. This means that most web based email products won't work very well, if at all.

7) If you want private mail I suggest using startmail.com. If you want reasonably private coms you might also look at a VPN service like PROXPN (I use them).

If you want private Email there is no such thing as private email.

www.protonmail.com is the only thing lately that comes close (or an account on riseup.net) , and depending on how you access it, it might be private but your identity could still be discovered.

VPN's are useful for torrenting, that's about it.

Last edited:

exojam

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I Installed the Tor browser today and started using that and in my very limited experience with it and reading about it I thought this was possible.

For those that posted the smart ass comments, thanks, you were a big ****ing help. How easy would have been to just say it is not possible to do what you are looking for. Oh shit, I forgot where I posted a simple question.

For those that posted helpful info, thank you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I Installed the Tor browser today and started using that and in my very limited experience with it and reading about it I thought this was possible.

For those that posted the smart ass comments, thanks, you were a big ****ing help. How easy would have been to just say it is not possible to do what you are looking for. Oh shit, I forgot where I posted a simple question.

For those that posted helpful info, thank you.
It is possible to do what you asked, but the result is probably not what you would expect. This is why I asked you to clarify your goal.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
correctly encrypted the email is private, as far as the contents of it.
Yeah, but nobody does that. I'm on hushmail and I have nobody to send "encrypted" emails to. LMAO. The problem with cryptosystems for email is there's no common standard that doesn't confuse the shit out of joe averageperson.

-Mike

CrackPot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Yeah, but nobody does that. I'm on hushmail and I have nobody to send "encrypted" emails to. LMAO. The problem with cryptosystems for email is there's no common standard that doesn't confuse the shit out of joe averageperson.

-Mike
90% of my work email is encrypted. 1% of my personal email is encrypted. All use standard encryption methods which have NSA back doors so whatever...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Mike
That's true, setting up keys and exchanging them are a big hurdle in this endeavor.

GomerPile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The .gov owns the internet and will be able to track you down using traffic analysis:

http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/30202/hacking/tor-traffic-analysis-attack.html

Startmail has more privacy protection than most email providers and in based in the Netherlands where they have very strict privacy laws. The main reason I suggest Startmail is that they have very easy to use email encryption built in.

Cautions:

Not necessarily.

maybe.....

7) If you want private mail I suggest using startmail.com. If you want reasonably private coms you might also look at a VPN service like PROXPN (I use them).

If you want private Email there is no such thing as private email.

exojam

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the informative answers guys. Basically there is no way around the gov seeing what they want from my PC, if I understood everything correctly.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Thanks for the informative answers guys. Basically there is no way around the gov seeing what they want from my PC, if I understood everything correctly.
Everything is logged somewhere and always work under the impression that anything you send, download, etc on your PC can be seen by a lot of people who are not the intended recipient.
Encryption helps but most can be defeated with enough time and computing power.

rep308

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
TOR is a great way to read the Boston Globe, when you hit the 10 article limit, push the 'new identity' button and start again. The best way around their paywall

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
So there are other things out there but most everything will leave a trace. The thought of security is a facade, you can be secure but nothing is ever 100%. The AF recommends Lightweight Portable Security now - http://www.spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm. I am not suggesting this, just a link so you have an idea. You can load this OS on a CD or Thumbdrive so it doesn't leave a trace on the system with the host processor.

There are other products out there too. This may be useful to you - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tails#

Top Bottom